Menu
Expat.com

Sef appointment for d7 visa

Last activity 20 March 2024 by JohnnyPT

gillydegannes

@neale_p hi there

my daughter is an International student doing her masters In lisbon . Her student visa expires on 15th December and her SEF appt isn’t until Feb 2022.

Do you think she can travel home for Christmas on the expired visa and show them all her info when she re enters Portugal . She has a confirmed appt with SEF

williamstony360

@gillydegannes

I am not 100% sure of the legal position, but just to say that when I enquired about a similar circumstance (for me) my lawyer did say for me to get a visit (tourist) visa just in case. I had an expired visa, and a SEF appointment. The visa application was a formality, and processed quickly, with the documentation of the SEF appointment included in the application.

I am not sure where you are based, as some countries have a very quick application process, while others (such as me doing it in the UAE) have months to wait just for an appointment time.

Hope this provides some guidance.

Adbk

@Dany Baydoun hi Dany, congratulations on moving! I'm happy to see someone has made it from Lebanon, and I've been going over your posts for some guidance. Can you please share how you first applied? Did you have to go to Cyrpus in person or were you able to apply from Lebanon? Did you appoint anyone to review your case? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dany Baydoun

@Adbk hi, the process is very easy. The consulate in beirut doesn't have any authority, you will need them only after your visa is approved just to send the passport through them to the embassy in cyprus. First, you should start by sending an email to the embassy in cyprus asking about the requirements (you follow up on the phone if they don'treply in few days), and then you prepare the requirements (pdf format) and send them by email. They will check them (it took them 1.5 months in my case) and then if approved, the consulate in lebanon will call you and inform you that you need to bring the passport for them. You pay the visa fees onlone via a link that they send to you by email and then once you hand over the passport in beirut you will pay around 100 to 150 euros as document transportation fees. Once the passport is sent to cyprus it should takr more than 15 working days. They will print the visa on your lebanese passport in cyprus and send it back to the consulate. Et voila, you can travel whenever you want before the visa expires!

Adbk

Thank you so much!

Steph961

@Dany Baydoun You mentioned earlier that your SEF appointment was after your visa expiration date. When did you have to arrive to portugal? How early before your visa expires?? Someone was telling me 1 to 2 months before expiration??

Dany Baydoun

@Steph961 i landed in portugal just 15 days before it expired.

Emily523t

@Dany Baydoun Hi  Dany, can i please ask  a question about a similar situation im going through?

Emily523t

@Dany Baydoun

Hi Dany, I am in a similar situation. can i please ask for some advice?

Emily523t

@Dany Baydoun

can i please ask a question about this?

sk2003

@vjslater2

Hi there

i have my app at sef in May, can i ask what paperwork exactly you needed for the app. How many months rental and bank statements did they check.

I applied really quickly to get my NHR tax stuff done before they closed it, but have had delays re work and house rental in London and wont be able to move there until after my appointment.

Its all messed up and just looking for some info and help

JohnnyPT

@sk2003, Welcome.

Some help here:

Experience sharing about Visas to Portugal (D7 & others)

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=971460

(Select UK visa experience sharing)

Residence Rights in Portugal for UK citizens after BREXIT

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=908742

(Info about visa documents)

Articles to help you in your expat project in Portugal

• Work visas in Portugal
    Work visas in Portugal

Portugal can be a great place to live in. This Southern European country is known for its great weather, ...

• General visa requirements for Portugal
    General visa requirements for Portugal

If you are planning to visit or relocate to Portugal, it is important to be aware of visa and entry ...

• Dating in Portugal
    Dating in Portugal

If it's true that dating in general can be tricky and present its challenges, even more so when we talk about ...

• The Portuguese lifestyle
    The Portuguese lifestyle

Moving to a new country means you will be discovering a new culture and exploring different habits, as well as a ...

• Phones and Internet in Portugal
    Phones and Internet in Portugal

Whether or not you are a tech-savvy person, this is still quite an important part of everyday life – and it ...

• Renting options in Porto
    Renting options in Porto

Over the past few years, rent prices in Porto have been soaring. As the city's popularity grows among tourists ...

• Working in Lisbon
    Working in Lisbon

Lisbon is Portugal's capital and also the largest city in the country. Furthermore, it is the richest ...

• Healthcare for the elderly in Portugal
    Healthcare for the elderly in Portugal

Portugal is a popular destination for retirement for Europeans, in general, but also retirees from other ...

All of Portugal's guide articles