Building a House in the Philippines

pnwcyclist

Especially like the first photo ..

And the third photo.  Absolutely beautiful

Hello.
My tip, if that is the size of the land and you are looking at resale value. Then it is an advantageous design, but if for yourself, a single pitch roof with veranda because hip and gully designs have a habit of causing water problems. If you are worried about strong wings, build into your design mountings and posts for shade sales that can be taken down befor a storm. Mine were made from yacht sail material and are very strong. Message me if you want more information.
regards  Bruce
Thanks GoDees .. sensible ideas and suggestions, and a kind offer. Cheers!
@pnwcyclist
Truly beautiful .. and expect that the long side of the house facing the views will be mostly windows 1f600.svg
- @PalawOne

LOCK UP when building.
Big windows towards south and WEST,  let in a lot of HEAT
(if not paying for very expensive heat stoping windows, which someone talked about a long time ago.) 
South side can be solved some by covers, but if solving it towards west, it would end access to see the view too   :)
Thanks Coach.. I know about passive solar and site orientation.

The main view, and glass, faces North..

West has mountain view and tall trees for shade in the afternoon.

East is ocean view, sunrise and morning sun.. but not too much glass.

South side almost all wall.
@pnwcyclist
It isnt as hot in mornings when sun is low as noon and afternoon,
BUT an other reason to NOT have big - or any  :)  - windows towards east if bedrooms are at that side is to avoid light would be waking us up to early.

Many people looking at houses for sale say:
- (Wow) what a nice much light in the bedroom!
!!! It seem they are not thinking. Bedrooms are suppoused to be DARK for best sleep (except if being early bird WANTING to be waken up early by sun.)

(I prefer TINY and dark COVERED windows enough to add ventilation if open and to let in a tiny part light just to show its daytime IF have woken up anyway.)

• @PalawOne very nice. Go for it. We finished building ours recently.  88 square meters house. Lot 600 square meters.  Living in Batangas.  Away from the city.

• @PalawOne very nice. Go for it. We finished building ours recently.  88 square meters house. Lot 600 square meters.  Living in Batangas.  Away from the city.  - @Dwsses12

`
Ahh thanks, and good on you,  Dwsses. Certainly hope you enjoy living in your new home in Batangas. If you are anything like the rest of us guys, now comes the new-house yard-work thing, I'm guessing. Although, being away from the cities and probably most of the suburbs, I'm also guessing that garden-work is less of a pressing matter. Good, enjoy!   

Building 2 house here.. One 35m² and the other 265m².. You can check out my story on YouTube. FloridaMan Journey..

Front faces North. Minimal window exposure on East.. more exposure on West but not much. South exposure is actually not a factor as 6 foot overhand/deck protects all windows and doors. Comments welcomed.

youtube.com/channel/UCeXSKICBGYJ-A5LJUexOHXw

Building 2 house here.. One 35m² and the other 265m².. You can check out my story on YouTube. FloridaMan Journey..
Front faces North. Minimal window exposure on East.. more exposure on West but not much. South exposure is actually not a factor as 6 foot overhand/deck protects all windows and doors. Comments welcomed.
youtube.com/channel/UCeXSKICBGYJ-A5LJUexOHXw-@Wingfat

`

You're certainly a busy man Wingfat. Incredible what you've achieved already.

Including the library of FloridaMan videos. Great you've made them available.

Thank you fella. Will need time to view properly .. looks to be time well-spent.

@Wingfat  Curious what your budget is for both?  On target, or ?

@PalawOne Thanks for checking them out...Maybe some help for others thinking about building...

@Wellsfry I had a long post describing why is would not be wise to answer that question. All I can say is you can build here cheaply compared to the States..even though price has risen this year and will probably will continue to rise.

Y'all probably seen this but spent many enjoyable years watching these excellent house building and informational videos at My PI Dream https://www.youtube.com/c/MyPIDream

@Filamretire Yeah,, love that guys landscaping.

@PalawOne May I know the name of the builder? I have a hard time looking for one that is reputable. I am in Mindanao area. Thanks.

We're lucky enough to be able to keep building projects within the family.

Though here's some sensible advice from apparently knowledgeable people.

Hoping these three links make it through the expat.com system.

"How to Hire a Construction Company in the Philippines"

By martilyo  July 9, 2021

https://martilyo.com/blog/hire-construc … ilippines/

"Top 100 House Contractors in the Philippines"

By martilyo March 29, 2021

https://martilyo.com/blog/house-contrac … ilippines/

There's also this from the folks who drew the original plans posted here:

https://www.pinoyeplans.com/how-to-find … e-reviews/

But, we think probably the best way to find builders is to walk around the local newly built estates in your area, and simply talk with the house-proud owners about who built their new houses and what were their experiences?

I just found out building materials had increased prices by a lot.

Rebars from PHP 23-28 per kg to PHP 48-55.

Cement from PHP 115 per bag to PHP 250.

It seems the increase by 2x is excessive. Seems Iike the suppliers are taking advantage of the situation. I was expecting the government should intervene, unless the government is in cahoots.

It seems the increase by 2x is excessive. Seems Iike the suppliers are taking advantage of the situation. I was expecting the government should intervene, unless the government is in cahoots.
-@Jackson4

`

Yes indeed, Jacko. Recently, inflation in the Philippines seems rampant, doesn't it?

And it really appears especially so for food, transport and for building materials.

Jomprice are currently quoting ...

Brand                                  Size                    Cement Price

Republic Cement              40 kilograms              ₱320

Holcim Cement                40 kilograms              ₱270

Eagle Cement                  1 kilogram/pack          ₱15 per kilogram

Rizal Portland Cement      1 kilogram/pack          ₱15 per kilogram

Sahara Cement                908 grams/pack          ₱41 per pack

And also, everything else seems to have also gone up accordingly ..

https://jomprice.com/ph/materials/

ALL Construction Material Price List in Philippines 2022

Here are prices for all variety of construction material price in Philippines as references for your dream home starting from the price of cement, bricks, polishing, windows, iron, steel, wood, stone and more

That is an interesting site PalawOne. When I click on that site for cement and pricing I get dental fixtures and no building material prices, click on rebar prices and I get stainless steel sheets, perhaps my browser.

Here my last lot of Holcim cement was 225 pesos per bag and we chew through 70 to 100 bags a week, rebar 10mm 145P, 12mm 210P and 16mm 380P per 20 ft length.

Penolic boards, 8 x 4 @ 3/4 inch 1050P.

I ordered 1/2 inch Phenolic board, 20 sheets as my mason asked for and when it turned up was 1/4 inch and I sent it all back. Replaced that order with another company for 3/4 inch and yep, you guessed it was 5/8 inch but works better @ 300 pesos per board extra and reuse time and again.

Here the labour is inexpensive, the materials are the killer. Still trying to fathom why we have been through 150 Kgs of 16# tie wire and not even half way through the job @ 1600 pesos per 25 Kgs. 9,600 pesos for tie wire to date. Petty cash as Ben tells me compared to all the other costs.

All the fun of the fair and aside from the frustrations holding a building permit for extensions and double garage still no fencing permit 2 months on even though all the paperwork and fees were paid for and accomplished at the same time and the fence is half built.

Welcome to the Philippines where we all have fun. What's the logo? "More fun in the Philippines".

Cheers, Steve.

Bigpearl kindly contributes great information and experience.

And yet you must be busy bigpearl, with serious construction work

together with all associated Pinoy staffing, feeding and materials etc?

And therefore, many thanks for all you contribute, inform and advise.

Having said that fella, how about sharing with us some project photos?

I'm sure many forum members many would be interested to see them.

-@bigpearl writes, ".... Here my last lot of Holcim cement was 225 pesos per bag and we chew through 70 to 100 bags a week, rebar 10mm 145P, 12mm 210P and 16mm 380P per 20 ft length.  Penolic boards, 8 x 4 @ 3/4 inch 1050P.

I ordered 1/2 inch Phenolic board, 20 sheets as my mason asked for and when it turned up was 1/4 inch and I sent it all back. Replaced that order with another company for 3/4 inch and yep, you guessed it was 5/8 inch but works better @ 300 pesos per board extra and reuse time and again.

Here the labour is inexpensive, the materials are the killer. Still trying to fathom why we have been through 150 Kgs of 16# tie wire and not even half way through the job @ 1600 pesos per 25 Kgs. 9,600 pesos for tie wire to date. Petty cash as Ben tells me compared to all the other costs.

All the fun of the fair and aside from the frustrations holding a building permit for extensions and double garage still no fencing permit 2 months on even though all the paperwork and fees were paid for and accomplished at the same time and the fence is half built.

Welcome to the Philippines where we all have fun. What's the logo? "More fun in the Philippines".

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

I am also not getting info from jomprice website.

I am also not getting info from jomprice website.
-@Jackson4

`

Don't know why not?

https://jomprice.com/ph/portland-cement … ment_Price

Portland Cement Price List

Here is a list of Portland cement price per bag based on size and brand you can consider before purchasing.

Brand                                                       Size              Price per bag

Holcim Portland cement                        40 kg                ₱550

Republic Portland cement                    40 kg                ₱350

Chichibu White Portland cement        1 kg                    ₱180

Generic White Portland cement        1 kg                    ₱187

Portland pozzoloana cement                40 kg                ₱235

Eagle Portland cement                        1 kg                    ₱130

Rizal structural masonry cement        1 kg                    ₱122

I suppose the increase in materials will greatly effect the developer of communities. They have many contracts for houses they have not started on.

Woe is the purchaser

P1, Holcim cement here is 225 P per 40 kg bag.

Cheers, Steve.

`

Sounds an excellent price Steve, that's great. 1f600.svg

-@Jackson4

Prices for building materials have certainly gone up. My small provincial home was estimated at 1.2M, we are now at 1.6M and kitchen not yet started. I told her that will have to wait until this winter when I'm there. Most of that cost overrun is due to increased materials cost, although we did upgrade a few things along the way, like tempered glass throughout, handmade solid wood doors, and heavier gauge roofing materials. 

I'm about to spend 100k on a two-level rip-rap retaining wall with stairs on the uphill side that will be necessary to divert rainwater runoff during storms. We are near the top of a down sloping lot but torrential rains like we saw last week can quickly saturate the soil and result in erosion issues if runoff is not captured and properly re-routed away from the structure. I know this from developing similarly steep land in the canyons of northern calif.

The silver lining is the 10-15% uplift we have had in the exchange rate since mid year, which has helped defray about half of the price increases.

@PalawOne:  Your layout and estimated budget are great and optimistic. My wife and I just completed two floors in Baguio city (Baranguay Virac). 

Forum friends: There are/were many things that I did and did not anticipate (I am American and owned 4 houses from Hawaii to Indiana).  The house is big -- 200sqm each floor x 3.  Things I have learned:

1. rainy season stops most construction (Baguio does rain when it rains).
  2. landslide (we had to build a retaining wall to prevent future erosion of land above us).  Now we are negotiating to buy that upper lot.
  3. worker skills are rudimentary and semi-dependable.  They know only one way of doing things.
  4. Carpenter, glass manufacturers, etc. have very narrow skills to do creative designs.  Most are 'mom-and-pop' businesses.
  5. Contractors, electricians, etc. are not fully licensed.
  6. Material prices have become very expensive the past 10 months.
  7. The concept of land with a 1-meter right of way on a lot border as privilege to the property owner behind yours must be provided.  This idea is to give the potential house builder access in/out of their property.

Lastly, people can run their cable wires right across your balcony with the post outside your fence.  Houses can prop up anywhere inches from yours.  There are professional squatters who will occupy unoccupied houses or land.  Eviction becomes very difficult. For example, a large house below us is owned by a distant owner.  To upkeep it they rent to 5 families for 500 pesos a month. Well, you can imagine the social dynamics around that house.

Duonguhm very kindly writes: .. My wife and I just completed two floors in Baguio city (Baranguay Virac). Forum friends: There are/were many things that I did and did not anticipate (I am American and owned 4 houses from Hawaii to Indiana). The house is big -- 200sqm each floor x 3. Things I have learned:

rainy season stops most construction (Baguio does rain when it rains).
landslide (we had to build a retaining wall to prevent future erosion of land above us). Now we are negotiating to buy that upper lot.
worker skills are rudimentary and semi-dependable. They know only one way of doing things.
Carpenter, glass manufacturers, etc. have very narrow skills to do creative designs. Most are 'mom-and-pop' businesses.
Contractors, electricians, etc. are not fully licensed.
Material prices have become very expensive the past 10 months.
The concept of land with a 1-meter right of way on a lot border as privilege to the property owner behind yours must be provided. This idea is to give the potential house builder access in/out of their property.

Lastly, people can run their cable wires right across your balcony with the post outside your fence. Houses can prop up anywhere inches from yours. There are professional squatters who will occupy unoccupied houses or land. Eviction becomes very difficult. For example, a large house below us is owned by a distant owner. To upkeep it they rent to 5 families for 500 pesos a month. Well, you can imagine the social dynamics around that house. -@duonguhm

`

Thanks Duonguhm for your detailed and interesting account of your sizable property development in Baguio.

A quick Google-Map search for "Barangay Virac police station" shows a little red-policeman a few centimetres above Manila. Click on that, and we will see a 360 picture of your Virac being a hilly and beautiful place, and with the station police obviously being well-dressed and proud Barangay police men and women officials. Seems like you have chosen a nice attractive and apparently safe place to build Duonguhm 1f600.svg

New Cement patio in front of our guest house... 10 bags Pectra Cement 40kg - 238p/ea., 30 bags sand - 37p/ea, 30 bags pea gravel 40p/ea.

Wellsfry writes: New Cement patio in front of our guest house... 10 bags Pectra Cement 40kg - 238p/ea., 30 bags sand - 37p/ea, 30 bags pea gravel 40p/ea.-@Wellsfry

`

Seem good prices there Wellsfry, and sure to be a solid patio with these quality materials.

@PalawOne. Thanks... Yes... I thought it was a great price also...  I went with my neighbors suggestion.  He is the long time (coast guard) light house keeper behind my place here in Tag Ulo.  They have used the same cement for projects for years, and he was able to buy it for me for their price... 👍🏻

we are planning to build cement paths around the house.  the workers want to rebar everything although the paths will mostly be foot traffic.

Two things I am proposing for the house: build a pipe

drainage for heavy rainfall and

lead that water to a ravine nearby.

I told wife to tell neighbors we are willing to put their cables and wires in PVC pipes underground for them.  to rid their ugly sights.  :)

@duonguhm thanks for sharing .. re-bar for garden paths in your hills area depends I guess if you want a 5 or 20 year lifespan? And because you're literally now in world-record-rainfall territory, your very sensible idea/proposal for pipe drainage to a nearby ravine idea for heavy rainfall appears sensible. Also, good relationships with neighbours are worth preserving, and might mean making them somewhat generous offers like you're doing. Good neighbours are hard won with actions and worthwhile keeping. It sounds an impressive achievement to build such a large and modern house in a beautifully mountainous barangay region of the Philippines. And simply, well done if one may say mate   

@PalawOne:  where are you located?  well, the rain here makes me a believer of Noah's Ark.  In US, we build houses with pine woods.  This one is like a fortress.  Baguio building codes even exceed my amazement.  There was an earthquake (7.1) with epicenter near Vigan (Ilocos Norte) a few months ago.  Baguio shook for a few seconds.  No collapsed building, rooftops.  Pretty amazing

Will the price of construction materials ever going to come down?

I am wondering delaying a build is a good thing to do right now.

In Baguio, prices decrease when the rain season arrives.  People here say that diesel prices have doubled since the Ukraine war started. 

Hey Duonguhm, we are in Palawan .. mostly in and around the capital city Puerto Princesa and Roxas. And, as you say, it certainly looks like your Baguio building codes are indeed extensive:

Eg: https://www.facebook.com/notes/architecture-baguio-citycordillera-philippines/building-permit-process-baguio-city-dont-just-copy-paste-read-and-understand-it/209234692430267/

duonguhm said . . . .  People here say that diesel prices have doubled since the Ukraine war started.

Your bio says you work at a large University in Southern California.

On February 21st prior three days prior to the Special Operations, on February 24th the price of diesel was $4.06 a gallon. Today the price is $5.33 a gallon.

Hail to the Chief, On January 20th the price of diesel was $2.63 a gallon

Is this the math they teach at your University?