How I bought a holiday home in Greece - My feedback and procedure.

Hello!

Here's my feedback on how i bought my holiday home in Greece. I tried to as complete as possible.

A) Choosing the region: this is above all a matter of taste, desires, feelings and personal objectives.

In my case, it was out of the question to end up on an island with little infrastructure, difficult access and where everything is much more expensive than on the mainland. There are beautiful spots all over Greece.

I set myself practical and technical limits: +/- 15min walk from the beach (but certainly not on the beach or seafront), max 90min drive from an international airport, max 15 to 20 min from a town. A house in the middle of nowhere, not in the mountains or in the forest, at a height of at least 7 m above sea level. Not too many neighbours or packs of tourists.

Some people will say I'm being a bit radical, but I'll explain: on the seafront, a house deteriorates at an incredible rate. The Mediterranean Sea can also break loose, and a house at sea level 100m from the shore is not safe from the water. As for the plains, this is to minimise the risk of fire. Some of the plains are filled with olive trees, which the owners treasure like the apple of their eye. The olive fields are regularly weeded and ploughed, which greatly limits the spread of fires.

Our choice fell on the Chalkida region, and more specifically the Alikes plain in the middle of olive groves.

B) Finding the property: Agencies, the internet, and above all going to the location. Sometimes things happen by chance, but don't expect to find the rare gem by wandering the streets.

In my case, I almost found the house by chance. I pushed open the door of an agency to put a friend's house up for rent. By the way, I asked them if they had anything in the area, as my internet searches hadn't turned up anything concrete. I found houses for sale, but the price range was unrealistic. At first they said no, but then the boss turned round and said "Yes, there is one"... and that was it. Believe it or not, I only visited one house, and I was probably the only interested buyer.

There are sites like https://www.spitogatos.gr/,www.xe.gr and https://en.tospitimou.gr/ that concentrate a large proportion of the listings, but not all the properties are listes there. I've found that the more expensive a property is, the more likely it is to be found on the big platforms, and the less expensive it is, the less likely it is to be found there.

Once you've chosen one or more regions, try to find the local agencies and visit each of their websites. Sometimes properties are in 2 or 3 agencies, when they've been for sale for a long time.

In my case, the property was offered to me by one agency, even though it had been put up for sale by another that I hadn't spotted. This is not unusual, as professionals in the sector know each other and talk to each other. The property that was offered to me had no signs stating it for sale, and was only listed on the original agency's website (and not on general websites).

C) The price: As far as I was concerned, the house was advertised at 170,000 and sold for 135,000 with everything it contained (furniture, household appliances, maintenance tools etc), for 95m² of living space, 80m² of outbuildings, 20m² of covered terrace, pergolas on 4 sides of the building etc.

The Greek valuation system is mainly based on the number of m² built (and not the number of m² of living space). Then, as everywhere else, there's the plot, the location,  the age, the condition of the property, etc.

There are huge price disparities. They range from 1,300 to 10,000 euros per square meter.

Don't expect to find anything decent for less than 100,000eur. I know someone who has been looking in this budget for several years, without any results. Greece is not Italy. You won't find "abandoned" village houses for 25,000 euros.   

The Indomio website can be very useful in giving you an idea of the current prices on the Greek property market: https://www.indomio.gr/en/agora-akiniton/. Please note that this website does not index final sale prices, but the average of prices asked by advertisers.

Outside the islands and big cities, the market seems fairly calm to me, and remains out of reach for most Greeks (but that's just my feeling). Given the number of properties for sale and the unfavourable credit conditions, logic would push the market to decline, but this is not the case. In fact, Greeks would rather not sell than sell off their property. So, there's a kind of status quo.

If you're looking for a holiday home, you can find some pretty nice properties at decent prices, but don't expect to get the bargain of the century.

In mainland Greece, you can still find holiday homes of +/-90m² on a 1000m² plot near the sea, for less than 150,000Eur... but the day you want to sell, there won't be many buyers. The taxation system is such that it has become difficult for Greeks to own a second holiday home. I've seen quite a few properties for sale over the last 1 or 2 years...

As for purely residential properties or built-up areas, that's another story.

D) Payments and the practice of deposits : 

Down payment: It is common practice to ask for a down payment and to draw up a preliminary sales agreement before going to the notary. This deposit is negotiated between the parties, but should not exceed 10%. This stage is handled by lawyers (sometimes by a public notary). This deposit does not always seal the sale definitively. For example, a suspensive clause linked to a credit agreement may be agreed. If the buyer withdraws from the sale, without a suspensive clause, the deposit is lost.

Sellers often use the money from the deposit to regularise their property if it is not in order administratively. If the transaction fails because of the seller (because they were unable to regularise their property, for example), they have to repay DOUBLE of the down payment... But this is theoretical. Never forget that paying a deposit involves a risk.

The deposit can be paid in cash. This is a practical solution seen that immediate payment of the deposit seals the preliminary sale agreement. Some sellers will refuse to come and sign if the money is not on the table, or in their account. It's not a good idea to pay the deposit before signing the preliminary sales agreement, so having a cheque or cash in hand at this stage is a practical solution.

Payment: Be careful about payment. Unlike in other countries, notaries, lawyers and estate agents NEVER collect the amounts due to the vendor. Whether it's a deposit or payment of the principal, the buyer pays the seller directly. If you go through a bank that no longer issues cheques (my case), you have only 2 options: Pay by bank transfer or in cash. If you pay by bank transfer, it's almost impossible to pay instantly, as the amounts often exceed the limits imposed by SEPA (€100,000). You will likely have to go through a 2 phase notarial deed procedure. A first notarial deed to conclude the sale, and a 2nd to record the payment. This procedure does not really complicate the sale, but it does make it a few days longer. Note that the presence of all the parties is not really mandatory for this 2nd notarial deed.

Cash: Possible for the deposit, but not recommended for the principal. Technically, there is no limit to the amount of cash you can carry with you within the European Union. However, any sum exceeding €10,000 in cash must be justifiable and declared in the event of an inspection. As long as you are able to answer the authorities questions about the origin of the funds, there should be no worries. Regarding cash transactions, there are limits and exceptions. Cash payments in Greece are limited to 500Eur, with some exceptions. I paid the 10,000 deposit in cash and nobody was shocked. So, I suppose that real estate is one of those exceptions.

Frankly speaking, the hardest part was getting the cash from a bank, because there are limits on withdrawals. In the end, I went to my country's central bank, which 'sold' me some banknotes. I didn't make a withdrawal, but a 'purchase', with a much higher limit. I received a stamped and signed proof of the origin of the funds.

Remarks:

- SEPA payments and instant payments:  Most Greek banks are part of the SEPA instant payment system. But, for this to work, the 2 banks need to be affiliated to the same communication networks, which is not necessarily the case. I advise you to carry out a symbolic payment test of €1 to check that it works.

In practice, instant payments are limited to 100,000 per payment or per day. Depending on your bank, these amounts may be increased, but this is not so common. Check all this with your bank. If it works for you, you could be able to pay for your house immediately on signing the final deed.

- If you're in a hurry, there's the alternative of urgent international payment. It's more expensive, but the funds are transfered in less than 24 hours.   

- Some people may be tempted to pay part of this in cash to avoid paying tax, but this is not a good idea. The properties are sold through an estate agent, 2 lawyers and a public notary... and everyone is paid on commission. That's a lot of people to get involved to earn 3000Eur per 100,000Eur.

Capital gains are heavily taxed for the first 5 years. If you sell a house that you under-reported when you bought it, you will lose money.

Greece has introduced a system of objective value taxation. Being below (or close to) this value will only alert the authorities to an unusual situation.

On the other hand, not paying VAT is THE national sport.

E) Legal status of assets: A Greek story?

A large proportion of the Greek housing stock is NOT legally registered.

In rare cases, houses are built in compliance with permits, but often they have been regularised at best. 

Don't be surprised if you are offered a 100m² house built with a permit for a wooden chalet (or even without a permit), but "legal".

This is where you'll need a good lawyer and a notary to check the feasibility of the purchase.

Since 2011, the government has required sellers to prove that the property for sale is 'legal'. As mentioned above, sellers sometimes use the amount of the deposit to regularise the property they are selling. This can go very well, or end in disaster.

I know of 2 cases among my close friends. In the first case, the legalization process went smoothly and he bought the property. For the 2nd, it was much more complicated: he tried to sell his house, but after 12 months of paperwork, he couldn't complete the legalization process! As a result, he found himself in a very unfortunate situation where the buyer was entitled to ask the sale be stopped, and ask the deposit to be paid in double!

If you're going to buy a house that's not 100% in order, bear in mind that it can take up to a year to get the situation sorted out. If it's just a matter of measuring to rectify the land registry, or an energy certificate, it can go very quickly (2 months).

Finally, you will need to adapt a little to the Greek property philosophy and its "1001 exceptions and arrangements". Even if a house has been built without permit, or without having complied with the permit, as long as it has been regularized with a positive outcome, and the owner has paid the fine etc., it is "legal"! It will remain a house built in breach of its planning permission, but it is "legal" and will never be subject to demolition proceedings.

You'd think that these practices of getting away with breaking the law would have stopped with the crisis, but that's not the case. Many holiday homes are still built on seafront land that has been declared unbuildable. However, if you own 4000m² of land along a road, you can break the law and build a house with 200m² of living space. Except that some houses are much bigger: fake cellars, balconies or 'non-habitable' outbuildings are built, and a building of over 300m² with a swimming pool is legalized.

In short, the law is clearly in favour of the well-off, because the main idea is to make money for the state.

It's also easy to see that these so-called 'non-constructible' plots are often serviced, with access to drinking water, electricity, telephone and a named road. In short, arrangements are made, and the local authorities are involved.   

G) Example of purchase costs based on a transaction of 135,000Eur:

Agency: 2700 Eur + 24% VAT - in practice up to 2% for the buyer and seller.

Lawyer: +/-800Eur + 24% VAT

Notary: +/- 1850 VAT for 2 deeds: Sale and statement of payment (1750+100 Eur)

Transfer taxes: 4171.5Eur (3.09%) => To be paid before going to the notary.

Registration tax: 839.5 Eur => To be paid within 24 hours of registration.

Accountant/AFM : 240 Eur for 3 issues i.e. 80Eur/n°.

Sworn translator in Greece: 80 Eur (6 pages and present as interpreter at the pre-sale agreement)

Sworn translator outside Greece : 150 Eur (+/- 6 pages)

Interpreter at the consulate: 150Eur (for power of attorney)

Consulate notarial deed power of attorney: 240 Eur (60Eur/2 pages + copies etc.)

Consulate power of attorney/declarations: 40Eur (10 Eur each)

H) Notarial powers of attorney: If you do not wish to go back and forth to Greece at each step of the process, you can manage the purchase remotely by means of a notarial power of attorney in favour of your lawyer.  All notarial deeds are to be signed in GREEK. As a non Greek reading/speaking person, you will need an interpreter to be present on signature day. The interpreter will orally read the document in your language. However, documents are not translated in writing into your language unless you request it. In Greece, lawyers often act as interpreters, (but never outside Greece).

Solution 1: You sign this power of attorney in Greece in front of a notary and in the presence of an interpreter. This is probably the cheapest and quickest option.

Solution 2: You sign this document in a Greek consulate in the presence of an interpreter. Longer and more expensive than option 1. You have to send them the document for reading and approval, find an interpreter for the day of the appointment, etc.

I) Timing and progress:

I visited the house on 10/5 (without the owners), 'pre-negotiated' with the agency that evening, and went home to secure the financial and legal feasibility of the project. I returned on 16/6 to meet the owners (without the agency). Having reached an agreement, the agents were invited immediately to confirm the deal, and I met my lawyer that same evening. I signed the pre-sale agreement on 3/7 and paid the agreed deposit. I signed the final deed on 29/9, and the repayment deed was signed by the sellers around 5/10.

We could have gone faster, but Greece is at a standstill in August and the seller wasn't ready. Whatever the agencies tell you, transactions often take 3 to 4 months. 

1. Find the property + Ask the agency about the legal status of the property. If OK, discuss the price and ALL THE OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS and the actual content of the sale: building, furniture, outbuildings, co-ownership and access, deposit, deadline for making the property available.

Then, you sign the proposal accepted by the seller on the estate agency's form, which sets out the commission payable by the buyer.

2. Lawyer: At this stage, the lawyer will check the legal status of the property. He will set his fees and will probably refer you to an accountant for your AFM numbers. While you're there, take the opportunity to sign immediately a power of attorney to your accountant (legalized). The sooner you have them, the better.

In the meantime, the lawyer will prepare a pre-sale agreement with the seller and assess what documents are missing (energy certificate, up-to-date plans, etc.).

3. Sign the agreement and pay the deposit (cash or bank transfer) in the presence of an interpreter if you cannot read Greek. At the same time, open a Greek bank account straight away, using the AFM number and your signed sales agreement (+ all the other documents required by the bank).

4. Notary: Checks the legal situation, prepares the final deed and any powers of attorney, and sets the amount due to the State for the transfer of ownership (3.09%). You pay him a deposit.     

5. You pay the transfer tax BEFORE you sign the deed, and provide the proof to the notary. Please note that you can only provide immediate proof of payment if you pay by Greek bank card. If you pay in any other way, it will lead to a waiting period. Having a Greek payment card is an advantage at this stage. Otherwise, you will have to go through a trusted third party. It is possible to pay Greek taxes by SEPA transfer from a foreign bank account, but again, you won't receive a proof of payment immediately.  (see : How to pay Greek Taxes via SEPA system & TAXISnet   https://taxnet.gr/en/usefull-topics-en/ … 3-methods/  ) 

6. You sign the final deed, pay the real estate agency (usually cash) and the notary (cash or transfer). The notary acknowledges payment on the spot (cheque), or by means of a 2nd notarial deed a few days later if you pay by bank transfer.

7. The notary registers the house in your name and sets the cadastral tax: you have 24 hours to pay it => NO JOKE. Once again, having a Greek bank account at this stage is an advantage.

8. A few weeks later, you get a property deed. Make copies for :

- registering your property with the local council

- Your tax return for the property (accountant) to pay your annual ENFIA tax

- Service supplies: water/electricity/telephone/internet, etc.

9. Enjoy your Greek House.

Regards,

T.

Nice description and details for purchasing property in Greece. Now that you have done it, any regrets? How are the locals where you are? Greeks are generally good people but can be "funny" sometimes.

@ApprentiExpat

Thank you for taking the time to share that experience in such detail. I am wondering what the yearly property taxes are like in Greece? Also, if you have a portion of your property which you want to rent out as a short term vacation rental, ie Airbnb, VRBO, etc, how does that work? Do you need permission from the government, & if so, how difficult is it to get, & how is that income taxed? I am sure the national 'sport', as you put it, is to evade paying Ceasar's pound of flesh when & if possible. How realistic is it to purchase a property with a separate apartment, & plan on using it for revenue?

Thanks in advance.

E.

@erichzeichnerOne can easy find a property thats in two flats and rent one but you must obtain a special tax number which gets displayed on the rental platforms advertising.The new rule coming in for Golden Visa which will most likely be 800.000 in some areas and will not allow for short term rentals only long lease.They will keep the option of 250.000 visa but only in certain areas.

I see. When is that new rule due to take effect? What areas will be elevated to 800K, & what areas will remain at 250K? Are they definitely targeting short-term rentals as something they want to take away from foreign property owners? I would like to know about this, because as a retiree moving to Greece & buying property, I would like to see my investment pay off with some short-term rental income.  Many properties for sale are being listed as attractive investments because of the potential to be used as holiday rentals & generate revenue for the owners, which I gather is an attractive potential for many retirees who would like to supplement their income that way. Any information pertaining to this would be welcome.

@erichzeichnerIIm not sure when,its not targeting foreign buyers but buyers under golden visa as its been found that some dont live in the property or long lease it,they short let it which means that too much property is taken away from people who want a full time home,Greek or any nationality,of course anyone can buy here and short rent it away from the golden visa scheme but way too much property is lost under that scheme.On Santorini hospital staff cannot find accommodation but this is a long subject

helpful answer

The subject of blaming the housing shortage on short-term rentals is happening in many places, & it has some validity to it, but not completely. Because long-term renters tend to trash a property, many people simply will not rent their property out long-term, so penalizing them for that is not going to solve the housing shortage problem. It is a false argument being promoted by the sector of the hospitality industry which is in direct competition with B&B home rental sector of the industry, namely it is the big hotel chains putting out that narrative & lobbying for legislation to put the damper on the short-term rental business. The short-term rental business is what helps a lot of property owners to stay in their properties, & not to lose them, & many of those owners are retirees who need the income.

@erichzeichnerThats not the case in many high tourist areas of Greece,under the Acropolis in Athens the people living full time there have been up in arms for a long time now and are bursting with rage at the misery they have to put up with from march until november,go on line to read about it all,people living in blocks of flats where half the flats are on short hold to tourists,their lives are hell,rental platforms are now creating a catastrophe for existing residents where they are not being controlled and Greece must have the right to act as it sees fit to protect Greek citizens and non Greeks living here who are not happy with the invasion and exploitation which they find themselves having to live with and supposedly tolerate all in the name of tourism so as to fill the yearly GDP coffers to pay off European bank loans.Greece,Greeks and others living here are not responsible for anyones life if they retire here and anyone coming here must understand and accept what is and what the Greek government says is the law,no one messes with the British governments laws or the French,never the French so why they always think the Greek government are such bad guys...they must do as we want as we take over their country.....B&B doesnt really happen here I dont think and how do you know that long term,long lease renters trash property as a general rule,their big fat deposits often pay for that if that is true but I dont think so,most would find that insulting and many live in sub-standard properties paying extortionate rents because there is so little availability and because landlords fob them off every time they beg for repairs to be carried out.

@ApprentiExpat

also check the utility bills have all been paid before you agree a sale - strangely the water bill remains registered with the property (and not the owner as is the case for all other bills) - says someone who was left with an undisclosed > €10,000 water bill that i am taking the previous owners to court over with my holiday home purchase in Greece

It is not a simplistic issue, & I would not like to look at it in nationalistic terms. But, you are right that there is a huge shortage of affordable housing, & I am sure in some urban areas which also have high tourist traffic, it can be extreme, & be very frustrating for people. But, I would hate to cast a blanket judgement on property owners, some of whom are also trying to survive with high taxes & bank loans, etc. Long-term rental can be very problematic for the reasons I stated earlier. That is precisely why people try to find good tenants, & why security deposits are needed, because people know from experience how things can turn out.

Anyway, to each his own. Thank you for your perspectives.

@concertinaI have heard many harrowing stories of destruction to property which has been rented out on short hold platforms,lots where it was disgustingly trashed causing many thousands of pounds/euros etc..in damage,I have heard of one week benders  where the property is unrecognisable and the owners thought it was a nice sensible couple coming in,far from it,so trashing,I think you said, is clearly not confined to long hold tenants,its a human thing,a human possiblity.

@PhilIpZ20201Your lawyer and simvolio should have seen that and you can sue them in the court,thats part of their duties that you pay them for,I had the same problem.

@erichzeichnerOf course its scary to rent ones property out either long term or short,at least if its short one can know they will leave soon,we need to earn the money but its with trepidation that we hand over the keys.

Absolutely, there is no one size fits all. You are very right that short-term renters can make a mess. Unless you have strict rules, & you are there to keep an eye on things, things can down-hill pretty quickly. It requires management. There is no such thing as leaving something to itself.

It is very difficult for young people in today's economy to be able to afford anything, & people starting out with little equity have a steep climb. But then, the people who are older & have a little equity, but shouldn't have to work hard anymore, have to find a way of making that equity work for them. I am not talking about people who are independently wealthy, but working class people. I know many retired people, & the only asset they have is their home, so where I am, if they can do Airbnb for example with one part of their home, they can supplement their small pension, & afford to stop working. But if they cannot do that, sometimes they cannot afford to stop working even in their old age, & may even run the risk of losing their home because they cannot afford to either pay the bank loans, or the property taxes. So, the same discussion is happening here, because there is not enough affordable housing in the area, & it is a very touristic area, & many people are using their homes for extra income because basically they have to in order to be able to afford to live. Sometimes there are people with many properties, & that is different, but for others it really is about survival.

For example, I am almost 70. Five years ago I turned my barn into a liveable space, & started using my home for Airbnb. That made it possible for me to retire when my shoulders got bad from years of building timberframe houses & stone walls, & working hard. If I had not been able to use my property in that way, I would not have been able to retire, & life would be much harder, or nearly impossible. There are many people in this area in the same kind of situation, because the tourists come for hiking & skiing, but the locals are mostly working class folk struggling to get by. If I had rented out my house as affordable housing, it would not have covered all of my expences, such as monthly bank payment, yearly property taxes, homeowners insurance, & all of the other bills associated with maintaining a property. I would be working like a dog until I die. So, I am very thankful for the short-term rental business, because it literally saved my ass. At the same time, I have kids in their 20's who cannot find affordable housing to live in, & I know many people who struggle to find suitable housing, so, there is no denying that it is also a big problem. The Hotel industry is lobbying our legislature to tighten up the operating rules for Airbnb, because it eats into their profits, & they like to conflate the housing shortage with the short-term vacation rental business, because that strikes a sympathetic chord with many people, but the flip side of the coin is that the vacation rental business has brought many more tourists to the area, with billions of $$$ to spend, which has helped local businesses & employment tremendously, & many people such as myself have been able to leverage off of their property to make needed income. What's a poor boy to do?

A sensible solution might be to regulate people who have many properties,  & at the same time, for the government to use some of the taxes they collect on property rent income to subsidize the contruction of more affordable housing. Some people's survival means trying to get a roof over their head. Other people's survival means being able to use the roof they have to bring in some revenue & capitalize on tourism. Society has to figure out how to balance different people's needs, without turning people against each other, or putting all of the burden on one demographic. It is challenging.

My retirement plan is to get a place with a small apartment attached, & be able to rent that out, & manage it right under my nose , so that it helps to pay the bills, or my kids can inherit something that will help to pay their bills, or so that I can afford to live in a way that I do not become a burden to them. If I do not create such an arrangement for myself, society is not going to do it for me. What is a person to do? Why in Greece? I love Greece, lived many years there in the past, & the climate is great for old bones. I hope Greece will not close its doors to people like me.

@erichzeichnerWell,you sound like a honey erich,I like what you said, yes of course its a great idea to earn some money from the property we have worked so hard to get all our lives and greece has millions of tourists and believe me the desire to stop working when one is so very tired is so strong,my husband is 63 and working at athens airport ,hes a slave really like most people,you hardly dare have a sick day off,everyone goes in sick and spreads what they have got. If you are on the premises and renting part of your place,overseeing things then its a winner.I know people doing the short rental thing,one I know doesnt have a kitchen as such,a toaster,kettle,microwave,simple stuff as renters eat out mostly,that lessens the bills and prevents fires,no need for cookers,steam sucker etc..  saucepans. The village where I have a cottage a couple bought house with a studio flat,a one bedroom and another apartment for themselves,quite new build,I think they paid 150.000,he is austrian,she is greek,they do rental platform,its a stunning area.So they have two bits to rent.Short term is just not working where you mix rental platform tourists with normal people who live in the block and nearby as residents need to sleep so as to get up for work at maybe 4 am like my husband,people on holiday especially young come back maybe 2am and want fun on their balconies,music,normally that cant happen to workers or the police will come or all the block will push the door in,then we have violence,no one is managing these rentals full stop because the owners are not there,they just want the money,This problem will not be sorted and social problems will continue to get worse.Just make sure you charge enough to cover costs a many renters like to leave on the air conditioning all day so as to find cool rooms on their return.Which area are you thinking to settle in?

I understand very well the dilemma you speak of for the working man, & after all of the promises made, things have not gotten easier in Greece for people. I lived in Greece before it joined the EU, back in the '70's, when fewer people owned cars, no one had ovens, there were no supermarkets except one Alpha Beta in  Kiffisias, but neither did people have debt, & I think people were happier back then living on what they had in their pockets, but, the world moves on, & here we are. Much of what you mention is the curse of the cities. I am a country boy, & I like to live in the country, or the small village, & only go to the city once in a while.

People always think the grass will be greener on the other side of the fence, but it is often nothing more than a mirage. Maybe your cottage in the village is the best place! Here in the U.S. a lot of people are still working in their '70's. Many people cannot afford to retire, or they lose everything. I think to have little, but to be debt free is probably the strongest position to be in.

Where would I like to be? Peloponnese, Arcadia Tyros -Leonidio, or Pelion, close to nature, fewer people.

@erichzeichnerI think Pelion was one area still at 250.000 golden visa,probably all that area,not so sort after thank goodness.

@PhilIpZ20201

@concertina

Hi all,

Philip is right regarding the utility bills: The new owner is liable for ALL the unpaid amounts.

Concertina is also right, because your lawyer and notary must check that the last bills are paid.

However, “THE” problems are that:

-    These bills are often issued every 2 month.

-    Bills are often issued for an ESTIMATED comsumption of water/electricity etc.

-    Some sellers don't leave the property immediately, and they ask to stay for example 3 weeks to organize and complete their leave.

-    Even if the last bills are paid, you'll be liable for a part of the unbilled consumptions of the previous owner.

How I managed it:

-    I made an agreement with the seller. The deal was simple: whatever would happen with the suppliers, he would pay for his consumption => We took the water and electricity meter readings together on the day we handed over the keys, and we signed it.

-    Water: I went to the company to take over the contract. I gave them the meter reading. They immediately issued a final bill, corresponding to the previous owner's consumption. This bill was issued in my name and I was obliged to pay it. I sent the bill to the previous owner, and he reimbursed me.

Fun fact: I have access to all the water bills amounts and consumption of the previous owner for the last 6 years or so.

-    Electricity: The tricky one: I tried to give them the reading… no way, they don't care about it! I had to take over the contract with the last consumption  mentioned on the last invoice issued for the meter.  So I waited for my first bill and calculated the share owed by the previous owner.  Take my word for it, it's anything but simple. DEE invoices are quite difficult to understand. 

Important notices:

1.    E-billing and paying your bills:

-     Water: Depending on your water company, you may receive your bills by e-mail. However, to do so, you'll probably have to visit the head office in person. In my case, I wasn't able to do this procedure via their web portal.

-    Electricity: The procedure (internet) is much simpler with DEI. All the information you need is on your contract (customer no., ID no., AFIMI, name, etc.). Pay attention to your name and identification information when you sign the contract. Some times the can mess it up…

-    Receiving your bills by mail does not mean you can pay them remotely with a non-Greek bank account. However, if you go in person to the water or electricity company, you can pay with any European Maestro card. Bear in mind that the Greeks will only cut off your water meter if you owe between 300 and 400eur. I know someone who hasn't paid his bills for 5 years!    The same is not so true of electricity, as the cost of supply is much higher. However, if you plan to stay there 3 or 4 times a year, you can organizing your bill payments without a Greek account (and without blackouts), by visiting the different companies at each stay. You will always have one or 2 overdue bills, but that's not a big deal.

2.    Electrical conformity of your house.

-    Once you've signed your electricity supply contract, you'll probably have to prove that your electrical installation complies with Greek regulations.

-    Every home connected to a meter is registered and must be checked every 10 years or so. This validity of conformity is filed by DEI. If you're buying a house that's more than 15 or 20 years old, it's probably never been certified nor filed.

-    You will have a maximum of 6 months to ask a certified electrician to carry out the procedure and register your home on the DEI platform. Once the electronic filing has been completed by your electrician, you'll need to go to the DEI office in person to hand over the documents provided by him.

-    If you don't follow the procedure, they could cut off the meter.

-    My advice is to ask the homeowner to complete the procedure or to prove that the house is compliant with the regulations, and correctly filed in the DEI database.

-    This procedure costs me 120 eur.

Regards!

T.

@tchrones

To this day, I have no regrets.

I had a few surprises with the house, but nothing serious. That's part of the risk involved in buying a house.

I've just a few fears for the future and the management of the house over time: I don't speak Greek and I don't know anyone on the spot. So nothing comes naturally. I often turn to the local hardware store for recommendations of contractors.  It's the easiest thing to do.

Most of the locals are very friendly and welcoming. Once they get to know you, they can be very helpful.

I often get the feeling that they're arguing when they're talking to each other, but that's not the case. It's just the way they do things.

And yes, sometimes, Greeks have their own way of doing things...

T.

It takes time to figure out Greeks. Source: I am one. Not sure where your house is but I do know some nice folk north of chalkida in Nea Artaki and Psahna. These are youngsters that have a passable understanding of English and may be able to help out finding contractors etc.

I have a dream of owning a vacation home in the area too. Likely an apartment as I think we will only be in Greece during the winter to avoid the cold Canadian climate. Time will tell if this will become reality.

@erichzeichner

Hi Eric,

I don't have the exact ENFIA amount, seen it will be issued around April, but it should be around 300Eur for 150Sqm built on 1800Sqm land.

If you have insured your house against fire and earthquake for a complete year, you can claim for a 10% discount on ENFIA.

Of course you cand find houses with a small apartment or outbuilding. To be honest, it's even common for medium-sized or large houses.

Regarding the short-term rentals, I'm no expert since I don't rent out my house, but yes you can make money from shot term rentals.

As far as I know, you ‘officially' have to get an EOT license and pay from 15% to 45% taxes depending on the rental income (year basis).

I don't know how long it takes to get this EOT licence.

Real estate agencies don't do short term rentals officially… but they often handle rentals during August.

Regarding internal tourism, I think that most of the people don't declare their short-term incomes as greeks often pay in cash.

When it comes to Rbnb and the like, you need to watch out for the tax authorities, especially if you're a resident.

For example, If your tax residence is in France, and you are paid into your French bank account, you can cheat and avoid Greek taxation. However, if this income is substantial, you'll need to explain to the French tax authorities where the money comes from. This amount will be added to your gross income, and the taxation could be higher than in Greece.  If you declare this income as rentals from Greece, they will technically be able to pass this information on to Greece.

If you're a Greek resident, you can try to open a bank account in another EU country. However, if you do this with a Greek residency or identity card, after 2 or 3 years, or if the total transaction amounts exceed 5000Eur, the Greek authorities will automatically be informed. If you're an EU citizen who has moved to Greece but still has bank accounts in your home country, you might think you're safe, but you're not:  Your bank has to verify your identity every 5 years. Sooner or later, the bank will discover that you no longer live in the country, and may send informations to Greece.

Welcome to Europe!

The best way to avoid taxation is cash, but keep in mind that if the income is less than less than 12.000€, the taxation rate is only 15% for clean money…

I know a guy who is actually stuck with over 50.000 eur in cash with his rentals. Some might say he's lucky, but he can't even buy a car with it nor passing a border with it… 

Hope it helps,

Regards,

T.

@erichzeichner

a little follow up : My annual property taxes were set at 161 euros, which is much lower than expected.  To be honest, I still find it hard to believe, when I compare it to what I have to pay in my home country.  We're talking here about a built area of 160m² on a plot of almost 2000m², and at 600m from the beach...

@ApprentiExpat

Thank you for taking the time to share these insights, very helpful. The financial landscape is like a game of chutes & ladders. I understand all of the implications which you have hinted at. Life is challenging!

It has been very helpful to access all this knowledge relevant to property buying in Greece, as I am initially from Greece but have been living in Britain since I finished Uni in Greece, came to Britain for a post graduate and stayed here since (have now lived most of my adult life abroad, with job and later on husband & child).  I am aware that most current bills in Greece are paid bimonthly and sometimes, if tenant / owners cannot afford to pay the full sum, pay some against it and therefore, as said, if not checked, there could be overheads that come with properties that can relate to bills not having historically being entirely taken care of.  In Greece we tend to also be a bit laid back and it is often the case that we don't change the actual name the current bill in coming under - that is, although we may pay and settle the balance for the water, electric etc. the actual bill notification may be coming under the name of a father, grandad in the family that used to own the property but they, in some occasions, may have even passed away (that makes it more difficult to trace back who the person is who has the debt).

Holiday flats (in holiday complexes) have substantially higher communal bills in the summer, due to the staff being employed to maintain/manage facilities (i.e. garden, swimming pool & so on).

Hope this is of help (& thank you for your posts).

Elena