Advice Needed: 16,000 SAR/month in Jeddah or 1.5 Lakh India

Dear Community members and veterans

I have been offered a position in a leading construction company with a total monthly salary of 16,000 SAR/month with Family status and yearly tickets. Expat Levy is to be borne by company. Have a wife and 1-year daughter. 3 Year contract, so no increment for 3 years at least. My current salary in India (on a permanent role) is 1.5 Lakhs/month.

What would your advice be? Stay or make a move. What should be the good salary here, given my situation. Simple family, so not extravagant spending in either case. Please advice.

Well , it all comes down to what you are coming for , it really also depends on what you are saving back in India. I would say after deducting house rents , food & transport  , utilities and misc expenses you should save around 6-8k ( using just bare minimum) which is about 1.2-1.5 lakhs in which case its really good. But you should be ready for the life in saudi arabia as well which no one prepares you for. So check both pros and cons i believe.

@Nauf11 Thanks Nauf11. Could you also suggest what is the monthly rental you have assumed in your estimation. What is the general trend of salary increment in Saudi Arabia? I heard its meagre.

So even if you say 5k as a nominal monthly rent , followed by 1-3k for utilities , transport and funding your wife and kids iqama and insuarance and say around 2k for food and misc , that still amounts to 10k gross spending in a month. Salary increments is a notion that very few industries believe in , rather getting housing allowance or percentages is what usually works here.

Am Jerry, this is my first time in Saudi Arabia, I have stay for 3 months now, and I want to go back to my country, because I have some family issue to solve and come back in two weeks, the company that invited me did not want we to go, they hold back my passport, am my return ticket is 2/11/2023.  I work for this company with all my heart, open heart. So I did not know why he doesn't want me to go to my country.

Please I want to know, does the company has the right to holdback my passport not to go back to my country.

I spourse my self, for flight ticket to and from, I paid for the visa fee my myself, and he promise to paid back and until now he has not paid.

So why his he holding back my passport.

Please help me, because I didn't know the rules in Saudi.

hi @kamexpat

I also got the similar situation to decide where to stay in India or to move to Saudi. I also have wife and a son. and I chose the second option with 3 things in mind. 

• I wanted to take risk and explore new opportunity.
  • I wanted to travel abroad and explore new country, new people and new culture.
  • As per calculations, I can save more than I used to.

hope it will help.