Coming to Juan Dolio

Hello! I'm snowbirding to the DR for the winter, flying into Punta Cana and have to make my way to Juan Dolio on Sunday. Just wanting to say hi, meet some people and possibly get advice on transit options :)

Welcome to you!   Juan Dolio is a very nice place to spend the cold winter months!   Do you arrive this Sunday?   Depending on arrival time you can try to connect with the buses but really the best way is by taxi from Punta Cana Airport to your place in Juan Dolio.

Thanks for the welcome planner! I'm arriving late Saturday and staying by the airport. Sunday I hope to get myself a sim card before heading over to Juan Dolio.

Yes hiring a taxi is the best way. Probably $125.00

Thanks for the tip Steverino7777!

Hello! Best wishes for your trip!

We happened to fly into PUJ on. Tuesday, 10th. When we got to the Hertz counter, yhey MORE than doubled the price of the rental for 33 days. About $3700, though I did negotiate all the way down to $3300.

>> So we politely told them to go fly their kite elsewhere. Canceled the reservation, walked out and got a taxi.

>> So, we'll go the Uber route from here.

Which leads back to your questions:

>> we priced the trip via Uber from PUC to central Santo Domingo at about $110 plus tip.

>> Juan Dolio is closer to PUC than is SD, so the trip should cost something less than. $110.

>> you can use the Uber app to estimate such trips before committing to them.

>> Pricing may vary a bit depending on time of day and demand.

Again, best of luck!

Jim

ExpatRusher

Awesome info Jim! Good to know Uber operates there :) Hope you enjoy your trip and good luck to you as well!

Does anyone know of any areas I should avoid in or around Juan Dolio?

My experience is to try and relax at one of the private beaches otherwise if you go to the public beach you will have no rest from all the vendors and everyone trying to make a penny off you.

Yes hiring a taxi is the best way. Probably $125.00
-@Steverino7777

Asking for a discount can get it for 100.00

Does anyone know of any areas I should avoid in or around Juan Dolio?
-@chrystias

What part of Juan Dolio are you staying?  Juan Dolio is split in 2 parts, Old Juan Dolio wich is closer to Metro Country Club, and New Juan Dolio that its the area where are located most of the buildings and condominiums and that part its pretty safe, but no matter where you do you go always has to have common sence and avoid lonely and dark areas.

@Riva31 I think I'll be in New Juan Dolio, just a little bit east of Playa Juan Dolio

@chrystias FYI, for Uber you'll need to have a local DR phone with calls, texting and data, to include GPS.

>> That should be the VERY first thing you do once out-of-the- airport

>> Makes life so much easier. 

Has anyone advised you on how to switch new Sim cards into your phone?  It's not hard, but there are a few tricks to make the process easier.

Jim

ExpatRusher

@Riva31 I think I'll be in New Juan Dolio, just a little bit east of Playa Juan Dolio
-@chrystias

If you will be arround that area then you will have close Popular Bank, and ATM,  grosery stores, and some restaurants too.

@ExpatRusher Oh that's good advice. I'm bringing a spare phone for the sim card, what are the tricks? My flight gets in a bit late and I'm not sure I'll be able to get a sim card straight away, I'd have to do it Sunday morning

@chrystias

Okay, here's tips from my wife and I for working the sim cards in the DR:

1) bring one of those little pointy tools for opening your sim card TRAY!!  So you can do it yourself.

• If you don't have one, don't worry.  Just stick ait  regular thin paperclip in your wallet or purse. 
  • When needed, bend it straight and stick in the little hole in the top of your phone (or wherever your phone has it).  The tray will then release and pop out slightly.

2)  THE UBERS AREN'T ALLOWED TO GO INTO THE AIRPORTS (at least at SDQ, and I presume all others in DR). 

• So, you're kind of stuck with taxis, or walking out somewhere to meet the Uber a bit off the property. 
  • Some brave Uber drivers will pick you up in the parking lot, but it is not without risk for them. 

3) THE NETWORK:  you need a local network and its sim card.  We took other's recommendations to go with Claro, the biggest in DR, and been happy with it.

• If arriving Santo Domingo (SDQ) airport, there is a Claro store IN THE GRAND HALL to the right as you depart the controlled area.  Turn hard right off the ramp, you'll see the Claro.  You can check hours on the claro website.
  • If arriving in Punta Cana (PUJ), no Claro (or other mobile seller) inside the airport, or immediately adjacent.  BUT, you still have options.
  • Many, perhaps most, taxi drivers can sell you a Claro (or other) Sim Card.  Just ask a few, you'll find one.  They carry bundles of them in their pockets and taxis!  (The price will be a little higher than a Claro Store, but it will get you what you need fast.)
  • BTW, be sure to negotiate with the driver a bit.  It's expected.  They'll probably quote you a price of $20 for a 5 day/5gig voice/text/data plan.
  • Nudge a bit, and you should be able to get for $15 or less without too much trouble. 
  • Or, just look and step toward the next driver in the line, and the first one will suddenly have a change of heard and meet your price.
  • If open, the local Claro stores aren't far from the PUJ airport (there's one in Blue Mall, and another in the mall immediately adjacent to the Jumbo in "downtown" Punta Cana).  Always check hours first!!  Service is reasonable, but English speakers are rare.  BE PREPARED TO USE GOOGLE TRANSLATE TO FACILITATE.  Learn how to use the voice feature to speed up the translating.
  • The reps will set your phone up completely and hand it to you.  DON'T PAY OR STEP AWAY FROM THE COUNTER until you have made and received phone calls on each phone, AND verified texting AND verified GPS service.  Most techs will help you with that...but some want to get rid of you fast.  Smile and keep asking, nicely.  (NEVER raise your voice, they might connect you to Botswana and your minutes disappear in seconds.)

4)  As soon as you can, download the MiClaro app (or equivalent for other networks).  you can keep track of minutes and recharge when needed. 

• LEARN HOW TO USE GOOGLE TRANSLATE with the miClaro app (or whatever else).  you might have to switch screens back and forth, G-Translate isn't all that friendly to apps.

Well this is pretty awesome!  Very thorough. Thank you! 

I will ask you to open another thread and cut and paste this ExpatRusher. That's way it's easier to find! 

@planner Will do, my friend.

A very warm welcome from a Canadian living here in Juan Dolio since December 2019... Drop me a note when you arrive and we can't chat a bit...

Craig MacDougall

Hello again by the way Darlene...:-)

Hey honey, hope you are well in Juan Dolio!

download the indrive app. better prices than uber as one sets price for trip based on their fares.

we have been using it for a while and find it better than uber

@chrystias

Hello, it's Craig MacDougall from Canada living in Juan Dolio since December 2019.. I realize you are in Juan Dolio by now .. Text me at ***... I'll be able to help you better..

Thanks kindly and again, bienvenido a Juan Dolio.

Craig

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey everyone thanks for checking in! Yes very much enjoying my time here so far :)

I do have a couple of small things going on that someone might be able to advise on - the shower in my bathroom drains very very slowly and have been unable to find anything like liquid plumr here. How do locals normally deal with this kind of thing?

Also have seen a few cockroaches in the house this week :( I'm on the ground floor and think they're coming from outside, there are no screens on the windows. What should I do?

So for the drains there is a product available. Go to a local store and ask for it, it will be with the cleaning supplies and is in a whitish bottle if I remember correctly.

Fumigate!  Get screens if staying long term! 

I use Destopo, but there are several brands.  This is the “good stuff”. All available at your local hardware store.

@chrystias

Hello 

I am in Juan Dolio until Feb 15 and would like to meet you sometime if you like.

Just send me a private message if you wish to connect  and I will send my whatsapp phone too.

I never been here before, seems like abit of a ghost town with garbage dump fires and holes in the road everywhere I think I already damaged my car!  They are ripping up all the good roads and laying new pipe and not repairing them properly. 

Such is life, nothing is perfect!

Karin

@chrystias

Fumigators work.  Get screens on windows?

@Steverino7777  Hi, is this US or Canadian dollars as we are from Canada? It may be a silly question but do taxis from the airport accept MasterCard? Thanks for your help

Hi  I am also Canadian.  The currencies accepted in DR are USD or Dominican Pesos.   They always prefer US dollars .  Credit cards are often accepted but not usually by the driver.  You should arrange this in advance which might also require payment in advance.