Whatsapp with you people?

i hate the concept of being a tourist.  when i moved here several years ago i avoided people from english speaking countries and immersed myself with the locals.
i think there is a process that people go through when they leave their own country and that i am passing through another state in that process:  i now have a need to communicate with people who are native english speakers. 
i am a retired businessman from manhattan, new york living in the districto nacional area of the capital.  i have a moderate income so mostly i hang around my apartment.  my day mainly consists of washing clothes using a semi automatic washing machine and scanning youtube.
so if you would just like to talk about anything with a native english speaker let me know and i will provide you with my whatsapp number.

Hello carlvelas

Why not brighten your days by helping the community here please, rather than just chatting over whatsapp?

We need expatriates like you who can share their experience and maybe help others by providing tips and hints to facilitate their expatriation.

Hope you may consider it seriously. :top:

Try browsing through the Dominican Republic Forum as well as the Living in Dominican Republic Guide and feel free to contribute wherever you can please.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

the problem is that i would like to talk about other things rather than just my experiences in the dr.  there is more to life than the daily struggles of trying to survive in an alice and wonderland world.

Some days you just crave an intelligent conversation!

i think you summed it up very well:  the need for intelligent conversation can haunt you no matter how satisfied you are with your new alternate life.  this is the baby which gets tossed out with the bathwater.

Have you not developed a circle of other Expats as friends?

I know we have many Expat friends and we get together often for good food, fun times and intelligent conversation. 

You develop over time multiple circle of friends.  Circles of Expats, locals and mixed  groups.  We have interactions with all and enjoy the diversity in our lives.

Bob K

You should also try internations in  Santo Domingo, they have expat get togethers at least monthly.

thanks for the tip, planner. i will definitely look into that.

i suppose a bar in the zona colonial might be a place to meet other expatriots but i am not a bar person, and besides, it's creepy going out by yourself in dr.

Yes try internation.org

Bob K

i just signed up for membership to internations.  immediately i was hit with a request to chose a payment plan option (6.95/mo 3 mos; 5.95/mo 6 mos; 4.95/mo 12 mos).  i didn't chose a payment plan out of fear of giving out credit card info.  while looking through a questions and answers section i discovered that basic membership is free.
i tried to sign up for an upcoming event and under every catergory the same reply pops up: no planned activity in your area at this time (or something along those lines).
the site does provide me with a list of members matched by some unknown criteria so i tried clicking on some contact buttons to see if anyone responds.
let's see if anything develops.

They will notify you via email of up coming events.  Usually about every two months or so there is a get together in SD.

I have been using the free membership for years.

Bob K

off topic, sorry for that.  Those who e-mail or PM me please do so. Check with Planner for update. Thanks you'all.  The Tuba- Tinker- Gypsy needs contact for more jabs & japes.  Thanks

Carlvelas - I have to ask why are you on this message board at all?

From your comments about the people of the DR asking for your stuff and your issues with crossing the street you don't seem have a very good impression of the Dominican Republic or of it's people. Then you state that you moved to the DR to get away from English speakers but you spend your time trolling this message board so I am confused as to what your actually trying to accomplish?
It doesn't seem like you really have much you want to share except your whining. Perhaps there is a better place in the DR other than Santa Domingo or elsewhere in the southern hemisphere that would be more to your liking?

Carlvelas?? What about TheColonel??? Talk about negativity!!😦I don't understand why people are on a board with nothing good to say...maybe they are trying to stop more people from moving to the DR so they can keep it all to themselves Lol!!!😃. Sorry I had to chime in 😹

Some folks are just not happy if they don't have something to complain about and have opinions about everything, even if they have no idea on what is going on.

Bob K

What do you get when you put all these folks together in the basement.
A wine cellar  😂😂

Too funny Stan......

So we welcome all opinions.  We don't have to like them but they are always welcome. However,  disseminating false information,  information that appears to be real and in fact are second hand stories etc are another think entirely.

This place is not for everyone, thank goodness!   And if it isn't for you - well that is neither good nor bad,  just not for you.   

Its all about what works in your life and everyone has a different version of that!