De facto cohabitation / Convivenza di fatto

Has anyone ever applied for a permesso di soggiorno on the basis of convivenza di fatto/ De facto cohabitation? If you have what is the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Dee

Hello sadiedez.729,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Were you able to get this information outside the forum since the day you posted your message?

Feel free to tell us more about your situation now, we will like to hear from you.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@sadiedez.729 I did it, in which city do you live?Milan? Because apparently changes a bit according to the city, but the basis are the same.

You just new a few documents. Convivenza di fatto with an Italian or someone with a permesso di soggiorno?

@Stee20 hi , thanks for replying. I am in Trento. How did you go about doing that if you don't mind me asking?

@sadiedez.729 it has been suggested by a police officer at questura and was very easy to do, just book an appointment for article 10 (if I remember well) on the website of questura online di Milano. and when you go there they wanted the certificate di convivenza di fatto from the comune, stato di famiglia and one financial declaration CUD or UNICO, and I think has done. Was more complicate have the certificate di convivenza from the comune, not even complicate, needed more passages. and it's 5 years the permesso di soggiorno.

@Stee20 Hi! Do you know if you can leave Italy while applying for the convivenza di fatto? And do you mind telling us how long the process took??

As you give them the documents the process is immediate. They print you a paper permesso di soggiorno. In Milan, I don't know how the other questure are organized.

so there is no a time from when you give them the documents and you recieve the permesso. So you can leave with your new the facto permesso. Keep in mind that you need to stay 6 mounts plus one day at year otherwise they CAN (it doesn't mean that they will) suspend your permesso. I hope I answered

cheers

@Stee20 thanks so much for your response! I'm Canadian who has to get the convivenza di fatto from the Canadian embassy in Rome. One of the documents needed for this is a marriage search certificate from Canada (a certificate that shows that I've never been married before) and I was planning on going to Canada to speed up the process so I don't lose time with the mailing time but questura has taken my old permesso di soggiorno and I'm waiting for a new receipt which I'll be given once I submit the convivenza di fatto at questura. Do you reckon I should stay in italy while waiting for this? I've read many articles online and they've all mentioned to have at least a renewal receipt of the permesso di soggiorno otherwise I'd need to apply for a new visa from Canada to re-enter which would take much longer. I'm trying to do this process as fast as possible as I have a job here in italy and currently can't go since I don't have a permesso di soggiorno or any work permit to work. Did you encounter the same issue?

@kvhermosa I know perfectly because I did the same since my partner is Canadian too. You can't speed up, simply send the request for the paper that show you never been married to Canada, I. My case they took 10 working days. Then wirh those you have nulla osta at ambassy . Theoretically you can leave and come back without problems since the di facto doesn't need a entry visa but require that you already have a permesso even if expired you have 90 days before become irregular (not illigal!). But the point you will need go explain this at the costum. If I were you I wouldn't move. For further info dm me . Cheers

@Stee20 Thank you for sharing the helpful information! I'm an American who is also in the process of joining my Italian partner in Milan.

I've been researching different attorney web sites, and am seeing conflicting information about whether or not it is required for non-EU partners to have a valid study or work visa BEFORE entering Italy to apply for permesso as a de facto couple.

My partner and I have been dating for almost two years, and all of my visits to Italy so far have been as a tourist. Is it wishful thinking to arrive in Italy as a tourist and apply with the proper documentation/registration info for di fatto... or must I transfer from something like a study visa?

Did your partner have any issues with being granted a work permit after receiving the residence permit?

Thanks so much for your time and insight!

@Lrose8 Hi! One of the requirements to have the de fact cohabitation is that you previously had an entry visa and a previous permesso di soggiorno of any tipe apart tourist visa. So you definitely CANNOT get into EU borders with a tourist visa and covert it in any tipe of permesso di soggiorno. Otherwise everybody would try to go and then eventually convert it. It's like this for (almost) every nation. So you would need to have an entry visa for work or study. Otherwise to have the entry visa you can apply for marriage but that's another story. My partner had a European work card, Blue card called. When it expired we did the de facto on suggest of the police official because at that time wa new and only Milan and Rome were giving that card. You need to already have the residency together before apply and the tax declaration that is more than x amount of money. The rest you probably know. But yes you need a formal reason to move to Italy or EU in general for the authority. It can't be tourism. Always.

I hope I answered your question. Fell free to DM

thank you

@Stee20 Thanks for your response, and yes that makes perfect sense! Arriving as a tourist would be way too good to be true 1f605.svg

Was there a certain amount of time that your partner was required to live with you before converting to covivenza di fatto permit?

I'm interested in obtaining my initial permesso di sorgionno for a one-year language study program in Milan... but I don't know if that is permissible or would give me enough time to convert to di fatto.

you welcome! No no there is not a limit of time previa the conversion, the law simply says a previous permesso di soggiorno is needed. This for a simple reason, in the first permesso they check anything they need to check and get your data and entry visa so having already the check they don't need a minimum amount of time. You can book an appointment for the de facto 90 days before the previous permesso expires. Hope I helped! Cheers

@Lrose8 Hey, I am in the exact situation as you, I am italian and i would like to relocate to Italy with my long term australian partner. It seems so complicated having to apply for a separate visa!! when it feels like there should be an easier way for him to be able to relocate with me (11year relationship!!) and many modern couples choose not to rush into marriage and are very happy as a de facto. Have you found anything else that could help? Like registering the de facto relationship abroad would it make the process easier in Italy I wonder if entering on a tourist visa? 🤔

@Stee20

Hello,

I'm also planning on applying for cohabitation. Is there a minimum number of year that I need to be in Italy before applying for that? I just got my permesso for study reasons and I've been in Italy for less than an year. So is it possible to convert it now?

Thank you

@kngladli

So don't matter if I've been in Italy less than an year?  Just to be sure what the yes answers

Thanks

@Stee20 How long was your permesso valid before you applied for cohabitation? Because I was reading that you have to be a long term EU resident for at least 5 days. And if you convert your permesso to cohabitation for family reasons I also read that you have to renew it together with your original permesso. Is this true or how did the cohabitation permit work for you?

Kind regards