Retirement Options in Serbia for Americans

Hi!  I am an American interested in retiring in Serbia.  Is there a (non-work) visa which permits this--even if it entails renewing the visa once a year?

Currently in  Sarajevo.  Thanks for any help in this. 

@atomsheart9  can you try asking their consulate in your country? Here haven't seen them responding as fast as I'd have liked

I did actually write to the Consulate tonight, shortly before posting on here.  Surprised they even had an option to be able to write them emails, so jumped on it.  Not holding my breath for a response.1f923.svg  Which is why I did post on here.  Hoping some of you have had experience in this!  Wondering if I could just go to their Embassy in Sarajevo and asking them--getting it from someone face to face.  May have to make an appointment.

@atomsheart9 Hi, I am from Texas and retired here also. It is actually fairly simple. You will need to either apply for a visa beforehand or come here and rent (or buy) an apartment. Then once you have your White Registration card (beli kartica) then you can open a bank account for your retirement to go to (I am a vet and receive my VA benefits with no problem. Some banks will not open the account for Americans due to the required reporting but, check in Erste Banke or OTP. Then you ensure you can show regular deposits and have enough to live on. You will also need proof of health insurance but that is actually quick and easy. Then you need to submit your application to the authorities no less than 30 days prior to your stay expiring (i.e. 90-day stay in 6 months). I recommend using a lawyer the first time. The rents have increased here in the last year due to the influx of Ukrainians and Russians due to the conflict. But I can still recommend Novi Sad as it is a bit cheaper than Belgrade. If you need some more info just hit me up.

Hi, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply with all this info!  When I was enquiring, it appeared that my application for a volunteer visa in Sarajevo BiH was going to be rejected.  Fortunately, it has been accepted and it will likely go through smoothly.  However, after two years, if I haven't found a way to settle here, or something goes awry with my volunteer visa, I'll probably be asking anew!

@Kneeland

We would like to be friends with Americans retiring in Belgrade, especially those from Texas since my husband is from Texas. He runs a blog American in Serbia.

@TiDiCi Hi. Sure. Happy to meet up. My number is ***

Moderated by Cheryl 9 months ago
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@TiDiCi Hi. Sure. Happy to meet up. My number is +**************.
-@Kneeland

Please don't post personal details on the open forum, this is to protect you. Please use the Private Message fuction.

@atomsheart9

Yes you can

@TiDiCi we live in the Fruška Gora near Sremski Karlovci. PM me if you want to meet up sometime.

@atomsheart9

They don't want Americans here. Serbia is a little nation. There are only 7-10 million people here.

The prices are going up. And, quite honestly, your not contributing anything. Your old. Your not working in Serbia, not paying taxes in Serbia for our old pensioners. Your not contributing anything of value. Dumping American paper in the economy, creating inflation, while sucking up real products and services, is not a contribution.

We know why you're here. Many have already been arrested. The police in Columbia will look the other way when they see old man with cash. You know what I mean. Suggest you go to Columbia.

Moderated by Bhavna 9 months ago
Reason : Political + subjective
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct