Purchasing a Vehicle in Serbia

What are the legal documentation requirements for a foreigner to buy and register a vehicle in Serbia?

Dont register cars in serbia no good

@Kalel1508

Welcome to the forum.

The forum is for the exchange of information between members.

Not a good answer, lacks information.
Could you please give the OP some more information as to why you state this.
Thank you.

To buy it's a simple case of parting with your cash if my memory serves me correctly. Registering your car is slightly different though. If you are here on a temporary residents visa then you have to obtain a document that states you are permitted to register a car in Serbia. The cost is around 670 rsd (I renewed mine this week) and the document can be obtained from the same place that you get your visa.
With your document, you can then proceed to the registration/test centre where they will test and examine your car (we call it an MOT in the UK). You pay a fee (several actually) which will depend on the size/value of your car and includes a basic form of insurance. With all your documents and proof of identity (passport or Serbian ID card) in hand, you can then head to the police car registration centre and they will supply you with number plates and an annual license sticker for your car.
Once you have those, if you want to, you can contact an insurance company for extra insurance (CASCO)

Hey good day.

I have a temporary resident visa in Serbia and I want to purchase a motorcycle, what will be the steps to do it correctly.

Hi there.

I believe that it should be the same as buying a car and have previously posted the procedure.

To buy it's a simple case of parting with your cash if my memory serves me correctly. Registering your car is slightly different though. If you are here on a temporary residents visa then you have to obtain a document that states you are permitted to register a car in Serbia. The cost is around 670 rsd (I renewed mine this week) and the document can be obtained from the same place that you get your visa.
With your document, you can then proceed to the registration/test centre where they will test and examine your car (we call it an MOT in the UK). You pay a fee (several actually) which will depend on the size/value of your car and includes a basic form of insurance. With all your documents and proof of identity (passport or Serbian ID card) in hand, you can then head to the police car registration centre and they will supply you with number plates and an annual license sticker for your car.
Once you have those, if you want to, you can contact an insurance company for extra insurance (CASCO)

Thanks so much for you guidance... Highly appriciated.

Hey mate,

just arrived to Vrcin a couple weeks ago.  At present as a Brit, I am on the initial 90 day stay without any residence stuff beyond the 'beli karta'.  Would you say I could obtain the document you speak of now or must I wait the 90 days to have first some residence status?  In the short term we could always put it in my Serbian wife's name - that's probably the best option I guess.

Cheers,

Glenn

Hi Glenn.

To be honest I am not entirely certain but you would have nothing to lose by trying and then, if you encounter any issue, you have the option to register in your wife's name.
The document itself merely states that you are permitted to register a car in your name so I really don't see any issues. I would have thought that the authorities would be happy to have the car registered as at least then you will have paid the appropriate taxes and are contributing to the 'system'.
A quick trip to the police station immigration office that issued your white card will answer your questions. The document itself they will make a small charge for (to cover administration) and, if I recall correctly is just 2 or 3 hundred dinars.

REgards,

John.

Cheers John!

@Fernsy Hi there I wonder whether you have any knowledge regarding purchasing a vehicle from Serbia and then importing it back to UK I would really appreciate if you can help me out with some information

@yilmaz1979

Hi Yilmaz1979,

The purchase of a vehicle here is relatively simple. You pay your money, obtain the appropriate ownership documents and the vehicle is legally yours. Registration of a vehicle here in Serbia (for a non-Serbian citizen) is a slightly different process.
If you have permanent residency and are the holder of a Serbian ID (Licna Karte) then you can take your documents directly to the vehicle licensing authority within whichever municipality you are registered and register your vehicle. If you are the holder of only a temporary residents visa however, you will require a document from the authority that issued your visa stating that they approve for you to register a vehicle. This consent only lasts for the duration of your visa and must be renewed each year/registration period.

Exporting back to the UK is a process that I am not familiar with unfortunately but, if I were to investigate this process then I would be looking for potential issues such as, will I be able to get my vehicle MOT'd back in the UK given that most vehicles in Serbia are left had drive and the headlight alignment will be different. Equally, what import taxes might I have to pay to HMRC?

I hope this helps.

Hi Fernsy,

Is there an initial cost for the first time registration of a used vehicle? Or do you just pay the annual registration fee? Did I understand you correctly that this registration fee includes a basic insurance policy?

I am a Maltese citizen, my wife is Serbian and we live in Malta. I am looking into taking one of my motorcycles in Serbia to have there when we visit her family.

Are the registration costs available online? Its an 800cc bike. Thanks

It's been several years now since I registered my vehicle for the first time so I cannot honestly remember if there was some additional first time registration fee but it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes, your annual registration provides you with basic 3rd party insurance.

I'm not sure if the fees are available online but, and I don't suggest that you SHOULD do it this way, if you are not going to reside in Serbia and are simply planning to visit on occasion, then I'm not certain that you would be able to register it anyway... I know of at least 2 people who drove a car into Serbia, stayed for a couple of years WITHOUT registering it and therefore essentially didn't pay anything for all the time that it was here.

Remember, if you are planning to keep it here and register it here then you will most likely be liable for some kind of importation tax also.

Hi Fernsy.

What a great help you have been. Thanks for your earlier explanations.

I have a question of my own. I am moving from Australia to UK and am looking to purchase a car in Serbia (with help from a local Serbian friend). I am also an Italian passport holder which makes things a bit easier I'm assuming.

Am I easily able to purchase a car in Serbia, pay the appropriate fees, but then take that car to my prospective address in the UK?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kind Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

As a British ex-pat now living in Serbia I'm wondering why you would buy a car in Serbia, pay Serbian taxes etc. and then export to the UK and have to pay import taxes, re-register in the UK, have to go through the UK MOT process (annual vehicle inspection) and pay UK insurance etc.?

Wouldn't it make more economical sense to just buy the car in the UK in the first place? (just my simple logic of course)

I am fairly certain that you wouldn't have any issues taking the car to the UK as long as the appropriate fees and taxes were paid but there is one really important factor that you should consider.... almost EVERY car that you will find in Serbia will be left hand drive as opposed the the right hand drive that you will find in Australia or the UK. In the UK, as in Australia, cars drive on the left hand side of the road whereas in Serbia, as with almost every other European country, cars drive on the right. Have you thought about driving a left hand drive vehicle on the left hand side of the road? Just a thought 1f609.svg

@Fernsy Hello, is the annual license sticker that you mentioned the Serbian version of what's called road tax (tax disc) in the UK? If so then does the price vary based on engine size and emissions and if it's petrol or diesel? Is there a historic vehicle class for vehicles over 30 years old like the system they have in Germany or Sweden? Thanks.