Family sponsorship visa

Asking for a friend who would like to obtain residency in Canada, here's her situation: she's about 55 and has a widower's pension of about 4000 US$, Swiss and Vietnamese Nationality, her sister is living in Canada and married with at least one child, she has been living there for a long time, as far as I know, like 20 years maybe, and her husband is Canadian.

At a glance, her profile matches the conditions necessary to obtain residency through family sponsorship, from what I've found, does anyone have firsthand experience with this? And maybe have some more information?

Cheers

I would say go for it. She sounds like she has all the right credentials. I don't have first hand experience nor do I know anyone in this situation. However, it does sound like it could work. You could also pay to speak with a reputable immigration lawyer, and see if applying is worth paying the $1080 CAN fee. You can also learn more about family sponsorship here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re … tives.html

I had personally tried to apply for express entry, as I score enough to get into the pool, but could never get the application code to work. So, I did pay to speak with an immigration lawyer to see what I was doing wrong. I found out that the immigration site has backend programmed code that rejects people of a certain age after hitting age 43, though it is stated publicly that we can qualify regardless of age - that you can get points up to age 45. However, the code blocks us out, automatically rejects us if our age is 43 and over, but we all wouldn't know or see this. It is on the backend code. In a situation like mine the only way to migrate to Canada is by getting a job offer, coming in via self-employed, or retirement way. You can read my post where I'm asking if anyone has info on my situation: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1015199

Hope the friend w/sister in Canada can qualify.

Cheers!

@Balentinea

Thank you so much for your answer. especially for the links. Unfortunately, it seems that she doesn't qualify. If you read the page “Who you can sponsor”,  there are a number of criteria and all of them have to be met. Unfortunately it seems this program is aimed only at children and teenagers, since you have to be under 18 to be sponsored by a family member. Here are these criteria:

1) they're related to you by blood or adoption

2) both their mother and father passed away

3) they're under 18 years of age

4) they're single (not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship)

(from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re … onsor.html)

Fortunately she's not in a situation where she absolute needs a permanent visa/residency, as I mentioned she already has two passports (a European and SE-Asian one), it's not like she doesn't have options. Including the option of staying 6 months per year in Canada near her sister, she'll be fine.

But it does seem that for people in her situation (retired with a pension), there's no clear way to permanent residency,  other than marriage. At least I haven't found anything.

@Balentinea I am from Pakistan now I want to go Canada please guide me

@Kurterino If there are no other relatives, have them look into the "Lonely Canadian" sponsorship. The Canadian sister would apply for it for her sister. It is a less known option for relatives that don't fit the bill, and is not advertised. But it is there. They would need to be in Canada to apply, however. You cannot apply to this if the relative is outside of the country. That is one catch. The other catch is parents must be dead, and no other siblings alive.

If they are interested, this is where I would say pay $100 to speak with a reputable immigration lawyer to advise on how this route is done legally.

Hi Kurterino! Based on the information you've provided, it sounds like your friend could be eligible for Canadian residency through family sponsorship, but it's always best to consult with an immigration professional for personalized advice.

In the meantime, your friend might want to consider applying for a Canadian temporary resident visa to visit her sister and her family in Canada. This would allow her to stay in Canada for a limited period of time and explore the country. To apply for a temporary resident visa, she would need to meet certain requirements, such as having a valid passport, showing that she has ties to her home country, and proving that she has enough funds to support herself during her stay.

Hi Kurterino! Based on the information you've provided, it sounds like your friend could be eligible for Canadian residency through family sponsorship, but it's always best to consult with an immigration professional for personalized advice.
In the meantime, your friend might want to consider applying for a Canadian temporary resident visa to visit her sister and her family in Canada. This would allow her to stay in Canada for a limited period of time and explore the country. To apply for a temporary resident visa, she would need to meet certain requirements, such as having a valid passport, showing that she has ties to her home country, and proving that she has enough funds to support herself during her stay.
-@JG0203

Is that (temporary resident visa) different from a tourist visa? Because she can (and did before ) easily get a tourist visa for 6 months