Rentista Residency Inquiry

My wife and I are planning on moving to Argentina at the end of the year. From our research, it seems like we're eligible to apply for the rentista temporary residency. However, we have a few questions before we begin the application process.

Is working as a remote employee an eligible source of income for the rentista residency?

What is the current minimum amount of income to be eligible for the rentista residency?

How many months of proof of income do we need to provide?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Your obviously way ahead me on this topic. My research has just started on the topic of moving to Argentina. Being retired does this apply to me as well. I'm on full SSI and 401

Thank you , Louis

Hi,

the main requirement for the Rentista residency is proof of income legally brought from outside country. As long as you show that you have income coming from outside Argentina, you are on the positive side. But there is a small nuance that we should consider regarding the eligibility.  Note:  Rentista Residence permit holders can set up a business or work independently in Argentina, but cannot work as employees. more details about the processing and requirements well described in the following article: [link moderated]

What is rentista? I'm retired on full SSI and 401

it is a residency type when you show the migration department that you have retiree income over 1500 usd and they give you temporary residency in argentina. you should renew that residency each year, and after two years you can apply for the arg citizenship

@Alexandre1504 Maybe this page will help you out...

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/o … o-mercosur

@immi.legal Thank you for your answer.It's getting complicated to find accurate answer regarding the rentista visa, especially about the "passive income" requirement .According to some articles, a remote employee for a foreign country would not be eligible for this type of visa.We keep looking for answer.

Hello everyone,

A recent update, after a meeting with an Argentine lawer, we got some new info.

In order to get the "rentista" visa you need a proof for passive income. If you are a remote employee for a foreign company, you must apply for the digital nomad visa (which has not the same benefits...).

My wife's father is Bolivian so we will apply for her Bolivian naturalization and try to get the "Mercosur" visa.

I will update this forum about the process.

@Alexandre1504 no. Rentista means you a land lord.

Since today the minimum is 2000 usd per person.

https://www.boletinoficial.gob.ar/detal … 2/20230606

Hey..glad I stumbled on this thread. Exactly what I have been looking for. I hope that these knowledgeable legal types are around to provide answers.

I am a Canadian , have been in Colombia 11years on a Rentista Visa. Too make a long story short they recently changed the visa laws to make benefits of Rentista Visa much less than previously, and in order to renew my Visa, they are trying to force me to pay exhorbitant amounts into their state run social system which I dont even use.

So I am looking for some where else. Argentina is very attractive to me.

So, my questions on Rentista visa are:

1.My income is passive income  mostly dividends, plus some interest income from blue chip Canadian corps . It well exceeds the $1500 $USD limit. That is acceptable, I assume?

2. For proof of income do I have to provide a signed letter from a financial institution, or will just bank statements and projected income reports from my direct investment broker be acceptable ?

3. Do the above documents have to be apostilled or legalized in Canada? Unfortunatelly, Canada does not have the apostille process and the legalization process over 10 years has stretched from a one day affair to an almost 2 month long fiasco.

4. If the documents have to be legalized do they have a time limit on them? In Colombia , the time limit is 3 months, so what is happening to me now is  the legalization process takes 2 months, I get them translated in 1 day from personal contact with an official govermet authorized translator , the Colombian Cancillería sits on them for 2 weeks, asks stupid questions about documents aready sent to them waits another 2 weeks doing nothing, documents become expired, and they say start over.

I sure hope the Argentinian Cancillería doesnt operate this way.

5. MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION.I hear it costs $2,000 US to do the visa appplication process. Is this true? Is it refunded if they do not approve your application?

5. I have spent 80% of my time in the  last  3 to 5 years physically in Colombia. This could be shown with pssdpoort stamps and a Colombian Migrations Department migratorio report  which could be apostilled.

Would a Colombian police certificate be acceptable, as this is very easy to obtain online ( but is not signed) ? At anyrate it is way easier and makes much more sense than obtaining a police report in Canada, espescially since I am living in Colombia.

These are the only questions I have for now.

Hopefully there is someone out there kind and knowledgeable enough to help.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

@nico peligro 1) the 2000 usd is the requirement for the pasive income, not the fee you pay that is less than 50 usd not refundable. 2) Colombian CBC is Ok. 3) Yes, the documents you provide must be legalize but you can scan a paper saying you need the file number to legalize it and this way you can advance with the radex (the digital application system that does not allow you to continue if you upload something, no matter what); 3. Rentista means landlord, they made the definition wider in the new resolution but nobody know how does it works. 4) The new rules are not an update because of inflation, they are closing the borders. So, I suggest to go after citizenship straight. You can apply as soon as you arrive, you can get it more or less 30 months later.

@nico peligro

Have you seen this?

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/o … nerada%20e

n%20forma%20estable.

@nico peligro

Actually meant this

@rubilar_abogados

Thank you for this information.

We gave up on the rentista visa and we are now working on the MERCOSUR visa since my wife has the Bolivian nationality.

You mentioned that Argentina is closing the border so do you think it won't be easy to get a visa at this time being ?

@rubilar_abogados
Thank you for this information.

We gave up on the rentista visa and we are now working on the MERCOSUR visa since my wife has the Bolivian nationality.

You mentioned that Argentina is closing the border so do you think it won't be easy to get a visa at this time being ?
-@Alexandre1504

I will be interested in hearing how that goes for you Peligro, I mean Alexandre1504.. I have thought about applying for that visa someday in order to formalize my future stampless stay in Colombia. However, I don't know what I would say to the question/letter about what activity I intend to carry out in the territory. I am not sure sitting on my sofa, reading my smartphone would go over well.

@Mr. Barley

I will keep you posted.

We are working with a lawyer to increase our chance to get the visa.

My wife and I are both working online so we will continue our job over there.

We bought our ticket for December 2023 and we are currently gathering the document to be ready on time, so we just hope that everything will work out well :)

@rubilar_abogados Thanks again for your help

-@nico peligro

Now that we are in August, you should be visiting shortly, or are already there. I recommend that you check out Encarnacion Paraguay as well.  If you lived there, Argentina would be a short flight away, I think. There might be 3 months when you might want to escape due to the hot weather.

Definitely not interested in Paraguay

I read a book on Nietzsche´s sister living there. Not my type of place,

I am interested in Mendoza, which is on the other side of the country anyway

@Alexandre1504

Hello .. I share this link, in case you need..

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/south- … iture.html

1f642.svg

@alquilotemporal

Thank you very much, I appreciate it

Hi all,

Some updates, we are moving to Argentina december 4th and we will apply for the MERCOSUR visa due to my wife Bolivian's nationality.

We hired a lawyer to help us with the process and we currently waiting for our last document in order to complete our file.

Everything is smooth but what I am learning with this experience is to do everything in advance. Some documents required take months to obtain.

While we arrive we will looking for an apartement, but I don't know if we need to have our DNI first (ID number) in order to rent a place overthere. If you guys have some advices ?

@Alexandre1504

Hello Alexandre,

To qualify for rentista residency, the minimum required amount is approximately $2,200 USD per month for the main applicant. In this case, family members are considered dependents.  The income  from a salary will not be eligible. It must be income from property rent or business. For additional details, please refer this article:   immi.legal/rentista-visa/

Best regards,

Ruslan

Hello guys,

We finally made it !!! We're currently living in Buenos-Aires. Following the advices of our lawyer we went to the Bolivan embassy to get some documents, we gave our finger print to the Argentinians office and we have one step left over before to get our 2 years visa.

Everything is very smooth, we even found a appartment in Palermo (We love this area).

Keep you update for the rest of this adventure !