Easy to make friends?

I am a single woman that may be living in Belize City for 3-6 months, maybe longer. I am concerned about leaving my family and friends in the States. How would you advise I go about meeting people, especially other Americans? I want to develop a sense of community and not feel isolated.

Thanks,

Joy

If you have lots of friends and family in the states why are you moving?

@jonestom747 My daughter just graduated from college and I am ready for a major life change. I am considering a job in Belize City working with special needs kids.

@jonestom747 My daughter just graduated from college and I am ready for a major life change. I am considering a job in Belize City working with special needs kids.

@cjoymccalla do you have a work permit for Belize? You need one to even volunteer. And they are not easy to get. If you will need to work in Belize to get by it's going to be very hard if not impossible

All that will be taken care of. It's a non-profit company based out of Chicago and they help me handle all that.

My primary concern is developing friendships while I am there. I am considering moving to Belize indefinitely, depending on my experience there for the temp job position, and want to see if I can develop a sense of community since do not know anyone there.

You will be part of providing a very sorely needed service here in Belize!

There are a good amount of expats in the city, including the Ladyville area.

But I'm sure you will also meet lots of Belizean in your line of work.

I don't think you will have any problems making friends.

Good luck!

@cjoymccalla

Not in the city, but you can message me anytime.

I started in Jan, still don't have the final paperwork for an employment contract and visa with a gov't entity in Belize. It takes some time to get all the paperwork in order for an employment visa. We flourish in the shade and move slow, doncha know. Add 20% to ETA in the least to get things done.

For immigrant/expat, if you meet Belizeans as the same, they're probably a whole lot more welcoming and nicer than wherever you moved from.

I started in Jan, still don't have the final paperwork for an employment contract and visa with a gov't entity in Belize. It takes some time to get all the paperwork in order for an employment visa. We flourish in the shade and move slow, doncha know. Add 20% to ETA in the least to get things done.
For immigrant/expat, if you meet Belizeans as the same, they're probably a whole lot more welcoming and nicer than wherever you moved from.
-@DnBR

It looks like you are from the USA, so why would you need a Visa? Work Permit yes...Americans (and most other nationalities) receive a 30 day (renewable) "Visitors' Permit" (not a visa) stamped into your passport as you come through Immigration.

I am not trying to be a wise guy, just pointing out that terminology is very important, and asking for the wrong thing could delay things even more.

In a post here 2-3weeks ago I listed several Belize Government websites that that might be helpful.

I totally agree with your last statement. 😀