Apartment rent deposit

Hi,

possibly moving to Shenzhen within the next few months. Can I confirm how much rent/ deposit is required for an apartment upfront? I have heard that up to 3 months rent, 3 x service charge and a deposit is required! But, I would prefer to pay monthly!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Maggie

Hello Maggie,

Welcome on board !

I went through the Accommodation in Shenzhen article of the Guide and it says most likely 2 months' deposit + a list of additional fees.

I hope other members can provide their feedback on this.

In the meantime, feel free to read the article.

All the best

Bhavna

I can't speak on cities in Guangdong Province or Shenzhen, but typically where I live in the NE of China the deposit is one month of rent and 50% of that amount is paid to an agency if you used one to help you find a place.  So 1 1/2 months of rent for a deposit paid up front.  Then most landlords here want 6 months rent paid up front or 1 year it just depends.  Very few landlords do month to month agreements where I live.

@meliza38

Hi Maggie,

It really depends on the different requirement of landlord. In general, it is two months.

I would recommend SheKou area in Shenzhen, where is quite international and comfortable for most expats to live.

@guestposter991 its not that much expensive here . You can find a good apartment inside 500$ (3500 rmb ) and mostly deposit is like one month rent in advance

What's the best way to find places for rent?

Have to use a booking agent? Other?

I'd also prefer monthly, if I can get it (won't always be the case).

Thanks!