UK Citizen obtain long-term residency in Georgia

Hi

Sorry; I am sure this has been asked before.

I have been researching this question on the Internet, and, as usual in such cases, find multiple web pages with contradictatory and confusing information.

I understand that as a UK Citizen I can live Visa free in Georgia for one year. There even appears to be an official blessing for people doing this and working remotely, which is my plan.

However - what is not clear to me is how I could turn that into a long-term residency and also have the right to work for local companies (i.e. a Work Permit) in Georgia. Is this something I could apply for while in Georgia on a one year Visa free regime, or, would (as some web pages seem to suggest), I need to go back to the UK and enter Georgia on a long-term Visa (which one) and only then could I apply for residency?

If someone has done this and knows the answer, that would be great.

Thank you very much.

With your arrival entry stamp you can apply for a long term residence. There are different types of residence permits. The most straight forward one is a 1 year residence based on property purchase. You need to buy a property which is valued at a minimum 100.000 $. It used to be much lower but the rules have tightened. Setting up a company is another posibilty. But there are minimum turn over requirements.The easiest way to find out more specifics is at the website of the public service hall. The site is psh.gov.ge and is also in English. Go to individual and click on residence where you will find all relevant information. As a general rule Europeans will have to go through less scrutiny, but things have tightened and applications have been refused .