Worst place to visit or retire to

My fiance and I were amped up about visiting Costa Rica and seeing if it was a place we'd like to retire to. 1st. It's no cheaper than the U.S. 2nd San jose is a nasty joke of a city mess. Drivers are rude. Worse than new York city.  Nobody let's u over and they laugh at u when they cut u off. Lucky for them my fiance was driving, I would have plowed my full coverage car into them.  13% tip is automatically included. I usually leave 20% and rarely 10 if it's bad service. But if they want 13% they get 13%.  Service is non existent. We were in Tamarindo and this guy seats us and some other people, hr dissappears, nobody is workimg, literally nobody comes over, we wait for 20 minutes then We walk out and he is standing there flirtimg to the hostess lady.

To top it off, our tour guide "Eddie"  was a ***.  He took ud on an atv tour, I gave the 14 o kid who fixes ATVs a tip. He goes back in and takes it!!! Then takes his tip at the end.  He tells u some bullshit romantic story how his grandparents were married in the woods, blah blah. Like costa rica is some magical place, Then we get home and he hits my fiance up on Facebook asking her of she wants to videochat so he can show her his big *^*(.     The place is a shit hole.  Tijuana Mexico is better

The eastern side is used by drug dealers, it's starting to spill into San jose and its only a matter of time before its west.   Do yourself a favor? Go to a bario in Florida. You'll find better food and nicer people.   The trip wasn't all bad but I saw enough and can tell the direction it's going.  Save yiur time and money and don't dump it into these ungrateful people economy. Alot of them don't like you anyway because you create demand that increases their prices.

hwrdsutcliffe;

I feel bad that you had such an experience!

Having said that I must comment that we have been living here for nine years and have never encountered an experience such as you posted.  We have been on NUMEROUS outings and trips based out of our home in Puriscal.  Have never had a negative experience in nine years (except getting hit by a motorcycle).

I wish you the best, but I can't see that happening with your attitude.

By the way, we explored Mexico for five years, Belize for one, before deciding to pick Costa Rica.

Cheers

@TerrynViv

Agree with you 100%.

It's all about attitude, no matter where you travel or live.

Negative draws Neg, Positive draws Pos.

Tsaheylu22

Could not agree with you more.  If I had a negative experience I would gladly share it with others, fortunately for us we have not had to experience what hwrdsutcliffe writes of.  If we had felt as he feels, we would no longer be living here.  Having said that, we are months away from receiving our Costa Rica Citizenship, Costa Rica ID card, and Costa Rica passport.

I've been to plenty of places with positive experience.  So it's not what I put out there.  Lol.    So im assuming that I put it out there that I wanted our Costa Rican native guide to message my fiance to send dick pics?  Come on guys.  I'm glad everyone here likes it. It's not what it's represented in alot of these boards. Just giving others a look that maybe isn't popular and possibly not the norm.  But please don't say that had anything to do with my fiance and I.  Had a beautiful time in Arenal eco lodge for the day. I'm pretty sure my "energy" wasn't the cause of any of this.

Ps. Don't use "reddy Eddie " transfers/tours.  I Mean ya know, it's probably my fault he wanted to send my fiance genital pics.  At some point during the tour he daid the resorts kept taking his tour stuff down.  I wonder why..... probably my fault.

I also met a nice expat gentleman who had a fantastic immigration connection for expats and he said nothing gets done there. He went theough  4 immigration lawyers before he found one that worked (surprisingly-not a CR attorney) so its not me guys.    I get the laid back lifestyle but it's pretty ridiculous  stuff.   I'm putting out an experience I've had there and I'm informing others who hope to go "caveat emptor"

Same. Been here for three years. Love it. Things in general are different here, but different doesn't mean better or worse...just different. You can learn to embrace this different culture or...leave. I often find the worst of people here are the expats bitching and complaining and trying to compare what it's like where they came from to this place. Or desperately trying to change this place into some amalgamation of their homeland. It's not yours, it's theirs. Pura vida mae!

Plus I'm the nicest guy, that's why I was so appalled by the driving ettiqute in san jose.  The general aggressive Purposful cutting people off , not yeilding, and laughing while doing it is unacceptable in any country.  I'm the type of guy who will go out of my way to make sure I treat other drivers how I want treated. Leave a space, take turns entering, etc  i have the ability to drive fast (im a licensed expert motorcycle racer) so its not skill either.   I hoped the "laid back feel" would be apparent in the driving.  I feel like u can tell how people are by the way they treat other drivers (its anonymous  but overt behavior)   I'm very dissapointed.       So it's definitely not my "energy"    I find that very insulting.   I could say the flip that and say asshole drivers must fit in,   But that's a ridiculous blanket statement.  Come on guys,   It's like telling someome that was assaulted that they must have done something wrong.    I was stating my experience for others to review.    Glad it's not everyone's.  But it was mine and it wasn't my interactions.    I love cozumel, Belize, grand cayman, etc.    Costa Rica, in my opinion,  Save your money and be careful who u associate with.  I understand that a few bad eggs there may spoil it.  But go to cozumel or Okinawa.  The people are way nicer and courteous.   Been to cozumel 6 times.  One bartender tried to rip us off once.  Other than that, nice people, prompt, courteous service, things get done,  reasonable drivers (rented scooters and cars everywhere).  CR,,, U couldn't pay me enough to ride a scooter in CR.  Lol. 

Sorry if I'm offending anyone's home.  I'm saying I wish I would have read a few of these types of reviews because I have other venues I may have first pursued.

@TerrynViv

Congrats1f44f.svg1f44f.svg1f44f.svg1f44f.svg1f44f.svg

@dbuettner

"It's not yours, it's theirs" Bang on point!

I'm not living in CR yet, but I do know what it takes to adapt to a new culture & lifestyle. I experienced the extreme of this living in Saudi Arabia. ADAPT is key. If you can't do this, you won't be happy Expat anywhere.

100% agree to adapt and assimilate. Not the problem here mates. :)

I also fit right into Dubai as well.  Not me, CR experience.

On the other side, if the CR citizens came to the US, better believe we need to respect everything about the culture. Lol. Not that I wouldn't anyway but find it humorous that the people on here are so adament in saying "you need to fit in here, u cant change it, respect etc" , you would be considered a culturally insensitive nazi in the US.  My point is, respect all cultures and It wasn't about fitting in or disrespecting the culture or putting negative energy out there.   My point was to educate those that may want to go, it's NOT what you read.  It's not cheaper, we spent about 8k for 2 weeks.  We didn't go crazy either.

Again, stay away from "reddy eddie" rips off his own colleagues/ citizens and tries to send your women genital pics/videos on Facebook.

IMO, any move away from homeland to be a success depends on the reason(s) one wants to leave their homeland. If said reasons in reality don't measure up, are impractical or escapist, it isn't gonna long-run workout.

Sorry to hear you had bad experience in San Jose. First off the 13% is the country's VAT/Sales tax. Next, there are some very cool neighborhood (barrios) in San Jose.  For example, Barrio Escalante is about a 15 minute walk from downtown. Over 50 local bars and restaurants, brew pubs, etc. Right next barrios Los Yoses and Barrio Dent. Also great neighborhoods. Other nice area are Pinares (Momentum Plaza), La Sabana area and of course Escazu.  I agree Costa Rica not cheap anymore. All my retired gringo friends all moved to Medellin Colombia. About 40-50% cheaper than CR.

Sorry to hear you had bad experience in San Jose. First off the 13% is the country's VAT/Sales tax. Next, there are some very cool neighborhood (barrios) in San Jose.  For example, Barrio Escalante is about a 15 minute walk from downtown. Over 50 local bars and restaurants, brew pubs, etc. Right next barrios Los Yoses and Barrio Dent. Also great neighborhoods. Other nice area are Pinares (Momentum Plaza), La Sabana area and of course Escazu.  I agree Costa Rica not cheap anymore. All my retired gringo friends all moved to Medellin Colombia. About 40-50% cheaper than CR.

I have had extremely positive experiences in Costa Rica.  On the other hand, I have seen crazy things in Vancouver City, Toronto, and places in the USA.    I have Costa Rican staff who work for me in Toronto and they are the most reliable, trustworthy people who have been with me for over a decade.   Please don't judge a country by what seems to be an anomaly.   I pay crazy high taxes in Toronto, and just today I read an article about how expensive Canada has become.   Costa Rica is not immune from inflation, it is being felt pretty much universally.   

In Canada, the govt hands out free drugs like it is candy at Halloween and calls it "harm Reduction:.  Drug addicts, homeless people, etc.  Daily one can see on Youtube shows like Canada is Dying, San Francisco is Dying, etc.  It is important to place things in  context.

@johncrossley1

"Canada is dying, San Francisco is dying, it's important to put things in context"

Well stated John1f44d.svg

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have put several post aside from this thread as they were only clashes between members which in my opinion is bound to happen on such a topic.

We thank the OP for having shared his experience on the forum  and we are sorry for him but I am now closing this topic.

I invite members to open their own thread if they have any question about moving to Costa Rica.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed