Are Orotina & San Mateo areas safe?

Hello everyone....

I have been looking on Air BnB at some places to stay during an Apr 6 - 13 visit.  I am a senior citizen (very healthy) who walks about 6 - 8 miles per day, so I don't mind walking....I prefer it.  So I rcvd a response from an Air BnB host who says she is near San Mateo and a bus stop id very close to walk to that would get me on a bus to Orotina where I could grab another bus to get out to the Pacific coast in about 2 hours.....that sounds good to me if San Mateo and Orotina are safe enuff to walk during the day and after the sun goes down. 

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone and especially those who have experiences in either of these two towns.  Tell me anything that may assist in a safe trip

Thank you very much,

Michael Trainor

after 32 years of living in costa rica when i first arrived in 1994 the country was tranquil and safe almost everywhere

anyone who reads the newspapers in costa rica for local people instead of the hype for tourists will discover anywhere outside of the central valley is no longer safe

is it safer than the usa probably a lot safer than the inter cities like san francisco, los angeles even beverly hills seems to no longer be secure like i found it to be in 1981 when i first arrived there

i would not like to walk at nite in dallas or atlanta any longer

the only way i would consider places in costa rica to be safe are

1. live in a gated guarded complex
  2. be able to afford to live on the golden mile of escazu
  3. there is a bargain if you do not mind the traffic in con casa in western alajuela which is a mini city of 3000 units
  4. there are scores of high rise towers now in rohmosher which is considered mid town and very fancy but expensive
  5. still my decision is costa rica is safer than the states if you know how to manage which most new people do not

Thank you Mail66 for the information you offer.

I'm wondering....not debating..... if your desire NOT to want to walk in Atlanta or Dallas would apply to Orotina and San Mateo.  Are those two places in Costa Rica comparable in size or crime?  I wouldn't want to walk alone at night in Orlando where I live either but I would walk in some of the surrounding towns without much fear.  I've lived in NYC and Boston and wouldn't think about walking alone at night in either but again, I would not think twice or fear walking in Cambridge or similar situations.

I am also asking about violent crime.....I'm not too worried about an occasional cell phone theft or a pickpocket on a bus......I'm concerned for my bodily safety....mugging, assault w/weapon etc.

Have you spent time in Orotina or San Mateo?

Again, I thank you very much for your kind response,

Michael

@Michael Trainor......It is not going to fly anymore comparing those U.S. cities to rural Costa Rica.......What does it tell you when a country doesn't have rights for its pedestrians or laws that are not binding (only suggestions) ?.Your personal security in Costa Rica is not a God given right nor to be expected.......If Costa Ricans price gouge,cheat and steal from each other,think what they do to other foreigners or Americans.........Frankly,Orotina is real hot ! Ticos from San Jose find it so.......San Mateo has been put on the international map,due to the supposed attractive eco-community....

@edwinemora

Thank you for your wise and well thought out response edwinemora.  I will be sure to keep it mind when I travel anywhere in Costa Rica.

@Michael Trainor.....You bet1f44d.svg

Crime statistics, whether they relate to the U.S. or to Costa Rica, are notoriously unreliable. Much of that is due to the fact that reporting, in either locale, is not effectively mandated.

Orotina and San Mateo are both small towns as compared to Los Angeles or Dallas which are parts of multi-municipalities. There is simply no basis for comparison among them.

Has anyone ever used their USA Verizon Prepaid phone in Costa Rica?  I am wondering what I'll need to do to make calls/texts or Whatsappers in Costa Rica.....Gracias amigas y amigos

@Michael Trainor  HI Michael.  I have been looking at places in Costa Rica as well and San Mateo is high on my list. I was wondering since you posted this if you have had a chance to go and how you are liking it?  Any tips are welcome.  I also enjoy the outdoors but want to feel I can venture out on my own - at least during the day.

Mr. Trainor.

this is the weirdest thread I have seen... lately.  Very strange, as an expat, to see somebody claim that anything outside of the Central Valley is unsafe... ???  what?   did they give you their 'own' testimonial... or is it just from watching TV or reading the internet??   

First... if you are coming here from the USA ... register with the State Dept (easy... on line) that you are traveling here.  They tend to have good and up-to-date information; via the Embassy here in CR about which areas to avoid.  There is no such thing, whatsoever, called, "avoid the whole country... outside of the only Big city".    Usually they list bad neighborhoods in the San Jose area to avoid, as well as: Limon, Liberia, some rural areas (generally in the north where there are a lot of Nicaraguan illegals) and of course; some of the beach towns... anybody with a brain knows that beaches sometimes come with bars, parties, drugs and or prostitution... but that is the Exception here...   not the rule.

Rural Costa Rica is just as safe as, if not more than, rural America.  You have to use the same, general, good sense that you would use anywhere. 

Most important is YOU... if you appear to be a 'gringo' foreigner, not sure about your surroundings, and 'older' ...  you could be an easy target...  but only at night or in a very remote area ... like a country road where there's nobody around; no traffic; no houses or businesses; etc.  It's just common sense.   Be visible, and be smart.

I live in a rural area here... village of 150 people.  I do not live with bars on my windows, cameras, security fence, or razor wire because in my opinion, that isn't living...it's prison.  In fact, i almost never lock my doors; the windows are open year-round; etc.  I make it look like I have nothing worth taking... so come on in if you must!!   I make sure that I don't stand out as Foreign nor do I show off my money.... and that I have a good, friendly rapport with my neighbors.   

The least safe thing about walking on a country road is getting hit by a car... duh!!!  I'm guessing that would be the case almost anywhere on the planet ... ???

I'm guessing that some of those above are venting their unhappiness more than giving fact based advice.  If you spend time reading threads on this forum or others... you'll find that most Expats in Costa Rica say that there is no reason to even be in  San Jose... except to shop; go to hospital, occasionally.

The most popular expat places tend to be semi-rural; or rural.. but close to things they are interested in.  People tend to select locations for Temperature/comfort level; reasonable proximity to amenities; healthcare, etc.; close or not close to other expat concentrations; and activities.  I like walking in the mountains; and sitting in the natural hot water thermals... so I live where those are close... but also with ample bus route access; and amenities within 30-40 minutes.   I made a 'needs' list before I came here.

Sir... if it was totally UNSAFE to live outside of the central valley... then I'd say that 70-80% of all foreigners living here are gambling with their very lives!!   'Mail66' didn't even finish their 'list'... and the grammar was questionable... so I would take that one with a grain of salt... ??

Read and consider what DaveandMarcia wrote... they tend to be good reliable commentators on this forum and don't ooze the kind of gobbeldy gook that has been tossed your way... just saying.  I wasn't even going to read your 'question' ... but glad I did... you have been ill-served; to say the least. 

I take buses all the time; so don't worry about that part of your planned adventure.  Never an issue unless a flood washes away a road or bridge... but we call that 'Tuesday' here.  In all my time on these various forums... i hear nothing but mostly 'good' things about the life here and how happy people are to come here and just 'exhale'. 

My advice... you haven't been here....  You haven't spent time here, nor lived here yet.  Maybe, just maybe... take baby steps when venturing out on 6-8 mile walks in a foreign country... especially in Central America, where there are poor people everywhere and sometimes, opportunism tends to follow that particular economic demographic.  So... Stick to town; walk in circles; etc.  The only way to feel comfortable about a place is to get to KNOW it.  Tourists can be targets; so don't be the 'one' that strayed and made himself an easy one.

If you look at google earth for the areas you plan to visit... and there aren't a lot of 'roofs' ... then maybe... taking an 'independent' walk in that area, before knowing it, isn't a well-conceived idea.  Would you do that in Mississippi?  West Virginia?   Idaho?

You should be fine.  Just use your head.  Sometimes, I think that the minute the plane takes off for Costa Rica... that people's brains fall out... and they leave all they have ever learned about being evolved human beings lying on some runway.  ???   I had a tourist couple ask me if there were supermarkets in CR?   I should have told them no and that they had to hunt for their food.

Have a good visit; drink some of our wonderful water; and Pura Vida.

BTW...  if you have whatsapp downloaded on your phone... it works here just fine.  You can communicate with people both here and abroad... most areas have pretty good wifi access; I have never had an issue.  It doesn't run off phone service or cell 'signals'...  it's kind of like using the internet, but for calls; texts; photos; etc.  I love whatsapp... my phone bill here is around $5 a YEAR!!  I don't call any land lines and thus, I'm not using minutes that need to be paid for.  Yes...  my Tico phone is $5 dollars a year.  so far, so good.