How and where to meet expats in the Philippines?

New user here.

I'm planning on coming to the Philippines (from Essex in the UK) to check it out as a retirement destination. (Incidentally, during the registration process on this site I couldn't choose my nationality as British or UK. The only option was English. That must p*ss the Scots off no end! :))

I know Dumaguete is very popular with expats, and there are places in the mountains that people flock to because of the cooler weather, but I intend to visit Manila, Cebu and Davao on this trip. Time wise, I could be there for 2 weeks or use the entire 59 days, I'll decide when I get there.

I don't intend eventually living in a city if I move to the Philippines, but would choose to be at least close to a large city. I would need good internet access and preferably somewhere with fewer power cuts (yeah, right!) as I'll still be doing a bit of work on the internet including business calls on Zoom/Skype. Budget is not so much an issue, it's about finding the place that feels right.

I've done a lot of research and watched no end of vlogs, but to my question: In the three cities I named, where is the best place to meet up with some expats while I'm there? Where do they tend to hang out mainly?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

greetings from Boracay where I have been living for 6.5 years now. Here in Boracay most expats are from Canada, the US, Australia and New Zealand. Europeans are quite rare and I am always happy to speak with someone in German.

If you want to live near a city, I would go to Mactan, Cebu. This is the island where the airport of Cebu is. Cebu has an international airport and you can fly with Emirates via Dubai to Cebu. There are a lot of Condos to rent over there which might be a cheaper solution if you want to stay for 59 days. Smart Internet has 5G and I got a transfer rate of 100+ Mbps here in Boracay. Enough to watch Netflix, Skype and videocalls.

From Cebu you can visit Bohol by ferry and you can reach every part of the Philippines from Cebu Airport. You got a choice of 3 airlines and when you book early, a one-way flight to anywhere in the Philippines is for less than 100 EUR. The beauty of the Philippines is not in their cities but in the islands. If you want to visit a city with great infrastructure, Singapore is not far away (2.5 hours flight) and also Hongkong is only 2 hours flight away.

all the best

Andy

I live on Masbate Is  way off the beaten path, very few expats here, provincial living is not for everyone, I own land here and fishing boats, do my own farming and enjoy the retired life with my wife and 3 children.  I have an international business as well and use wifi daily.

I met local expats in Ilocos Sur on November 1 at the cemeteries.   Seems this day is a big Catholic holiday, schools closed, all kinds of vendors set up around the tombs, selling food and candles.

@mugteck

I was in Manila in November and it seems that this ‘devotional pilgrimage' to pay respects to deceased family members is just an excuse for a monumental piss up.

Some cemeteries resembled the aftermath of a rock concert after the holiday. In fact the Police even had to ban fire arms from being brought in.

Yeah we're all children of the good lord. Bless.

@mugteck
I was in Manila in November and it seems that this ‘devotional pilgrimage' to pay respects to deceased family members is just an excuse for a monumental piss up.
Some cemeteries resembled the aftermath of a rock concert after the holiday. In fact the Police even had to ban fire arms from being brought in.
-@Lotus Eater

Not quite as big or rock concert like in the province, but it is an excellent day to be in the candle business, looks like a contest to see which grave has the most candles.  The largest cemetery in Santa, right along the national highway, actually holds a mass in a pavilion.

Lotus Eater said . . . . .I was in Manila in November and it seems that this ‘devotional pilgrimage' to pay respects to deceased family members is just an excuse for a monumental piss up.

I was kidnapped to visit the North Cemetery in Manila.

Shortly after my wife & I moved from the states, her siblings rented a car & driver to attend that Ghoulish Circus. This maze, labyrinth made out of concrete tombs stacked on top of each other gave me such a foreboding feelings I had to leave and return to the car. I will never return there again.

Do a Youtube search of North Cemetery Manila. People live there, people are born there, people live their whole life there.

@Enzyte Bob  Mark Nowhereman did a video of people living for decades in a Manila cemetery. Google "Mark Nowhereman cemetery". Just skip over all his political nonsense.

My wife and I checked out the St. Louis #1 cemetery in New Orleans. I wanted to see the tomb of Marie Laveau. I find cemeteries to be very safe and interesting places to spend time but my wife kept asking to leave. She later told me that she and her sister had to dig up the grave of one of her grand parents and place the bones is a plastic bag to make room for the other grand parent.

While it would be amazing to meet all of you (and the rest of the Philippines) at your local cemetery in November, perhaps even start a little candle business, I was wondering where you guys meet up on the average Tuesday afternoon 1f609.svg

@JustCallMeJoe

I love your handle, just because I hate it when Filipino's always call me Joe because I'm from Scotland the UK, why do they always assume that every white man is an American.

@JustCallMeJoe
I love your handle, just because I hate it when Filipino's always call me Joe because I'm from Scotland the UK, why do they always assume that every white man is an American.
-@FindlayMacD

It could be worse. They could assume you're English! 1f923.svg

To shorten someone's name without their permission is disrespectful.

Lotus Eater said . . . . .I was in Manila in November and it seems that this ‘devotional pilgrimage' to pay respects to deceased family members is just an excuse for a monumental piss up.
I was kidnapped to visit the North Cemetery in Manila.

Shortly after my wife & I moved from the states, her siblings rented a car & driver to attend that Ghoulish Circus. This maze, labyrinth made out of concrete tombs stacked on top of each other gave me such a foreboding feelings I had to leave and return to the car. I will never return there again.

Do a Youtube search of North Cemetery Manila. People live there, people are born there, people live their whole life there.
-@Enzyte Bob
I will never return there again.

You might not have a say in the matter Bob 1f923.svg

You might not have a say in the matter Bob 1f923.svg
-@Lotus Eater

He could choose to visit the Titanic wreck in a submersible. 1f609.svg

What? Too soon?

@mugteck
-@Lotus Eater

I wonder what bands would play a concert in a cemetery if there was one, maybe Stiff Little Fingers and Motordead.

@JustCallMeJoe
-@FindlayMacD

-@JustCallMeJoe

You would get a surprise if they called you Wee Man there.

Talking of Scot's and I have spent a few years in Scotland and loved it and the people. I was in the Air Force, based at Lossiemouth on the East coast (Moray Forth) in 1981. We had six man rooms and 4 of the guys in my room were Scot's. two from Paisley, one from Orkney and one from Aberdeen. We were chatting one day about going somewhere in the week and the guy from Aberdeen said he was going to be at a frewnial. Not one person English or Scottish had a clue what he meant. Turned out he was going to a funeral.

I also had the most meaningless conversation with a friend from Glasgow while having a few drinks in the bowling alley one night which went something like this but lasted for about 5 minutes.

Me - Can you look after my pint, I am just going for a piss.

Him - You mean you are going for a pish.

Me - No a piss.

Him. It is not a piss but a pish.

Me- It is spelt PISS in the dictionary.

Him - When you unzip your flies, get your member out and start to go, the noise it makes when it hits the porcelain is pish not piss.

This went back and forth for a while until I actually needed a No2 so I said, it is immaterial now I need a Vadumpth.

Him - What's that.

Me - The sound it makes when your business hits the water in the bowl.

I always wondered what would happen if he used his normal greeting while stood next to somebody else while at the trough having a piss.

Him- Alright Wee Man.

Stranger - Yours is nothing to boast about pee wee

ets etc

Love Scotland and the people, always have and always will.

@JustCallMeJoe
-@FindlayMacD

-@JustCallMeJoe

Hahaha.

@FindlayMacD

Hello

I totally understand your feelings cause i have been on same situation, I ust reply I am French😁.

They say I look an actor 😂 but I just answer " you know kuya ,the world do not turn around America, don't forget were your religion are imported from Spaniard "

Just an story to start a topic, it is not a way to make them offended.

Pilipino like to talk with foreigner..just behave to make space before walk ahead back!

@JustCallMeJoe
-@FindlayMacD

They give you the benefit of the doubt.

I wonder what bands would play a concert in a cemetery if there was one...-@Cherryann01

Whoever it is playing in the concert, I'm sure they'll have some grateful dead in the audience.

I'll get my coat...

While it would be amazing to meet all of you (and the rest of the Philippines) at your local cemetery in November, perhaps even start a little candle business, I was wondering where you guys meet up on the average Tuesday afternoon 1f609.svg
-@JustCallMeJoe

We usually meet once a month at a local restaurant for lunch, usually on a Wednesday.  Most Tuesday Afternoons I stay home and listen to The Moody Blues.

Good choice mugteck, so many great songs.

Back on topic. I have met quite a few expats here over the last 13 years and worked out it's best to keep your distance, the local Filipino people are easier to deal with, no cr@p.

We have a lot of expats in my area and we don't live in each others pockets, respect and catch up once or twice a year, I'm sure they are happy to do the same.

We witnessed a few times the stares and questions in a couple of bars that we were invited to socialize, 2 visits were enough at both establishments, judgmental, boasting and egos, typical westerners, don't find those issues with the locals.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

New user here.
I'm planning on coming to the Philippines (from Essex in the UK)

My family is from Essex also! Maldon, and worked in Chelmsford...until I emigrated to the US. I know you asked about expats, but I would ask do you know anyone from Philippines currently? If you do have significant other/friends, then that could influence your region to live. My wife is from Ilocos, so Visayas was out for me, because of the dialect difference, however we are ending up in Batangas (Tagalog region) and I would also consider that. Many expats in Tagaytay and surrounding areas such as Cavite etc

Hi @Filamretire, great to "meet" you. I'm not far from Chelmsford and do go there quite often.

I don't know anyone in the Philippines. I'm well connected in LinkedIn and tried to make business connections in the Philippines over the last few months but the industry I'm in is not particularly well developed in the Philippines and there aren't a lot of professionals operating in that part of Asia.

I'm a long standing member of our local Rotary Club so I do have that angle to investigate. All Rotary clubs in the Philippines would allow me to attend meetings / dinners / functions with them, but that's all AFTER I get there. "Fellowship" is a big deal in Rotary so I'm sure there'll be a warm welcome for me at the local clubs (and I'll probably be expected to make a speech!). I don't doubt I'll make a fair few contacts there.

There are numerous Rotary clubs in Manila, Cebu and Davao. But your local Rotary clubs are probably all-filipino affairs (with the occasional filipina). There are unlikely to be any expat members.

@JustCallMeJoe There is a rotary club in the city I will be in, and I know there is at least one expat member there, in Batangas