Single men group?

Hello,

Like you I am a single man and I will retiring in about 20 months and am planning on living in the Philippines during the winter months (Dec-Mar).   I am 60  years old and enjoy traveling, shooting people, playing chess and being around good looking women:o). Just trying to decide what part of the Philippines to move to that is safe, not terribly crowded, and alot of fun.  Any suggestions or can I refer me to a single men group?  Thx Smitty

Hello OkSmitty
As per other posts, cost depends a lot on location.  Metro Manilla has the buzz but is very crowded, think 2 hour traffic jams. Larger cities in the provinces have less crowds but good choice of services, hospital, doctors, restaurants, etc. I am in Cebu.  Smaller towns/villages are less populated and less services.  The people are friendly but don't let that fool you, any of them will charge you extra because you are a westerner.
Another important cost to factor in is visa fees, around P2-3k per month.
A tip, if you are staying in one place for 12 months or more, rent unfurnished and buy your own, save quite a bit in the long run.
Hope this helps. Let us know where you end up.
regards  Bruce

OkSmitty wrote:

Hello Scott,

shooting people

Kind of a strange hobby..... 🙄🙄🙄

Tim_L wrote:
OkSmitty wrote:

Hello Scott,

shooting people

Kind of a strange hobby..... 🙄🙄🙄

I was hoping he uses a camera.

OkSmitty wrote:

Hello Scott,

Like you I am a single man and I will retiring in about 20 months and am planning on living in the Philippines during the winter months (Dec-Mar).   I am 60  years old and enjoy traveling, shooting people, playing chess and being around good looking women:o). Just trying to decide what part of the Philippines to move to that is safe, not terribly crowded, and alot of fun.  Any suggestions or can I refer me to a single men group?  Thx Smitty

Hello Smitty, When you said you enjoy shooting people, i presume you meant shooting photos of people ? lol  Looking for a city  here not terribly crowded and a lot of fun is a personal choice and you will have to discover on your own by visiting  and exploring different city's to see if it fits your criteria. I have explored from Manila down south  to General Santos and in between.  I settled on Cagayan de Oro because it fit what i wanted and i met a sweet Filipina  here. It is a safe, progressive growing city. Far enough north away from the Muslim terrorists in the south. I enjoy a great social  and dating life. Like i stated earlier, i dont see a lot of expats down here and i am not the type to get together with the few expats i do see here. I prefer to spend my time meeting and dating Filipinas. Dont know if i helped answer any of your questions but good luck on your journeys where ever they take you when you get here.

Hello guys and thanks for replying back.

First off, clearly a typo with "shooting people".  That should have read "shooting pool" as in billiards.   LOL. Auto correct got me.

Also like you I interested in finding a nice lady to spend time with and see the country.  Not necessarily interested in a serious relationship but nor am I the bar girl, party type of guy.   

I am retired military so just trying to decide if I want to stay close to a military installation or in a smaller village type environment.  Perhaps someplace outside of a major metro area.  Just not sure where to start looking. 

Smitty

Thanks for replying back and the info Bruce.  Right now my plans are to come over for just a few months, perhaps Nov-April timeframe. 

Trying to decide on where to start looking and whether to get a reasonably priced hotel during that period or to rent something.

Smitty

Hello OkSmitty
I would suggest a week in Manilla,  Another week or 2 on 4 of the islands, Cebu, Palawan etc. Also if time and budget permit a week in Vietnam, Cambodia  Thailand and Malaysia (Penang).  See what you like and dislike about each place and then decide. Most of us stay here mainly because of our partners, and there is not the ability to live as cheaply with them back home.
regards  Bruce

Thanks again Bruce!

Hi OkSmitty,

As you were off topic on the thread " cost of living 2018",  i have created a new thread with your post on the Philippines forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Did you say you like “shooting people”? WTF

Hi Smitty

Shooting people!!  LOL!!!!  (I enjoy pool, also-haha)

GoDees Bruce is correct that where one lives depends on how much they can afford, how many services they wish to have access to and whether they enjoy being somewhat removed from the 'center of things'. 

I live in Cebu City and do so because I prefer access to certain services/conveniences, etc.  But there are others that hate the population/car density and like the rural aspects of the provinces. 

But in the rural areas you will stand out much more as there are few foreigners there and businesses/people there might try to charge you a 'foreigner' price.

Hope that helps

Good luck
Bruce