Sef booking system

Why is it so hard to get an appointment wit Sef, I have been here a month now and on the phone 5 days a week and no one answers. So myself ( British ) and my girlfriend ( Portuguese) went to the Sef office in Santarém to see if we could actually book an appointment for me to get residency and a tax number as I can't do anything without this. After waiting for over an hour the guy says the only way is to call to make an appointment there is nothing he can do. This system is crazy, why don't they have an online booking system !!!!!

@stevenanew they answered me telling me that there's no appointments available.

Im having the same problem. There is an online booking appointment but you have to have some type of number to book it 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

People spend months doing it, unfortunately. If you don't want to spend days on the phone, apply for one of the D type visas back home. After you receive it, you'll automatically have a link to the appointment on the visa stamp.

@melissarcher exactly that's to renew your residence card.

So myself ( British ) and my girlfriend ( Portuguese) went to the Sef office in Santarém to see if we could actually book an appointment for me to get residency and a tax number as I can't do anything without this.
-@stevenanew

Hi and welcome. To my knowledge you get the tax number (NIF) at at Financas Office or online. Definitely not at SEF.

Hi Stevenanew,

Read carefully what @nz7521137 says.

SEF has only 50 staff members who can only handle 3500 to 4000 calls/day between 08:00 and 20:00 in 21 different languages.

On some days they receive 42,000 calls, an overload of calls caused by the use of diallers on multiple mobile phones making calls simultaneously.....

SEF is looking into solutions to solve this, although I think they should have thought of B plans a much longer time ago....

https://www.dn.pt/sociedade/29-milhoes- … 31487.html

Online appointment is only for

- Renewing the Residence Permit automatically;

- Schedule a visit to the SEF to renew a Residence Card (for EU citizens and their family members);

Imagine what it was like to open online booking for everyone without any relationship of any kind with this country, without any control and without serious penalties for those who played with the system.... which was impossible to do, precisely because of what I just mentioned....

I agree with @eadweard4's suggestion. The scheduling is already done, it is better than family reunifications, which from the testimonies given here, are taking an eternity ... .... ....

To all interested,

Severely understaffed: This means that the Portuguese government's immigration authority, known as SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras), does not have an adequate number of personnel to handle their workload efficiently. The lack of sufficient staff can lead to delays and inefficiencies in processing immigration-related matters.

SEF is being deprecated: "Deprecation" refers to the process of phasing out or discontinuing a particular system or service. In this context, it means that the SEF is being gradually replaced or transitioned into another governmental body in Portugal. This transition could be due to various reasons, such as restructuring or improving the efficiency of immigration-related services.

Investigation into illegal immigration: There is an ongoing nationwide investigation in Portugal, in collaboration with international organizations and the police, aimed at uncovering a massive network involved in illegal immigration. This suggests that authorities are actively working to address and dismantle this network, which could be facilitating unauthorized entry and stay in the country.

Stopped booking appointments: Due to the aforementioned issues, including being understaffed and going through a transition period, the SEF has temporarily halted the booking of appointments. This means that individuals seeking immigration-related services, such as visa applications or residency permits, cannot currently schedule appointments with the SEF.

Backlog of 150,000 entry requests: As a result of the aforementioned challenges and the temporary halt on appointment bookings, there is a backlog of 150,000 entry requests. This backlog represents the accumulated number of pending applications or requests that have not been processed or addressed by the SEF. Consequently, individuals awaiting decisions or actions on their immigration matters may experience significant delays.

In summary, the Portuguese immigration authority, SEF, is facing multiple challenges, including understaffing, a deprecation process, an investigation into illegal immigration, and a substantial backlog of entry requests. These factors have led to the temporary suspension of appointment bookings and significant delays in processing immigration-related matters.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. 

In the meantime, can we start a petition to Portuguese Government to address this situation?

The Portuguese constitution grants you the right to petition, although, to be honest, I'm unsure how far that will take you.

To have a valid petition against a national institution, you would need 10,000 validated signatures. By 'validated,' I mean you would need to provide the following details as a minimum requirement:

Full Name

Identification Number

If you can gather that many signatures, you are operating at a level akin to politicians, and I commend you for that.

Failure to provide the outlined details will result in your petition not being validated, rendering it as if you had done nothing. However, you are free to give it a try.

One more thing to note: Even if you manage to meet the minimum requirement, the institution would file an injunction against your petition in the supreme court, arguing that the halt was implemented due to security reasons in uncovering a network of human trafficking. They would claim that this falls under a matter of national interest, and as a result, that legal argument itself would invalidate the purpose of your petition.

@pmgomes77 😏

@mariacmorenovarela happy to help! 1f600.svg

@pmgomes77,

"Severely understaffed": OK, but with the increase in the number of immigrants, expats, NHR, .... shouldn't this situation be expected? Why not allocate staff from other public services? If they increased from 50 people to 100 (see post #7 above) it would make a difference....

"SEF is being deprecated": OK, but the restructuring is mainly on the part of the armed forces. These delays on administrative / backoffice services have been going on for years, even before the restruturation and little has been done to solve the problem, at least with practical results...

"Investigation into illegal immigration": OK, but what does that have to do with the problems of scheduling and customer service & administrative backoffice services ? Are this administrative staff also dismantling illegal immigration networks? Staff alocated to SEF armed forces and this illegal immigration issues and administrative backoffice services for visa requirements are different.

"Backlog of 150,000 entry requests": these backlogs have arisen mainly before the pandemic and worse meanwhile. There are also thousands of applications for family reunification, golden visa analyses (yes still...), etc. When a problem worsens exponentially, decisions have to be made and solutions have to be found....

In summary, there is a lack of planning, organisation, method and creative solutions out of the box, i.e, solutions for the outdated routine procedures in light of present reality ...

I don't know who is to blame... The government ? the SEF itself and the unjustified strikes (because they have already been given government guarantees on the continuity and conditions of their jobs) ? Not from the people who wait almost 2 years for family reunification !...

I don't understand how people are told to call a number where no one answers. I don't understand how the public service centres around the country can't make an appointment when they have access to computer facilities.

Common sense is needed. Otherwise, it would be preferable to tell those interested in applying for new visas that there is no access to new visas for x years.... this way, stress and unfulfilled expectations in reasonably acceptable deadlines would be avoided....

Hi Johnny, while I understand your concerns, I believe this platform may not be the most suitable avenue to address your complaints. I strongly recommend that you explore other channels provided by the Portuguese government for that purpose. If you or someone you know has been waiting for a family reunion for such a long period of time, it is possible that the matter should have been addressed through appropriate channels during those two years.

Here's what I would suggest:

If you haven't received responses to your emails or phone calls, consider visiting the relevant office in person.

If the issue remains unresolved after a visit, continue pursuing alternative means.

If multiple attempts and visits do not yield a resolution, it may be wise to seek professional advice from a lawyer or solicitor specializing in such matters. These professionals have expertise navigating the system and can assist you, although it may involve a cost.

By following this approach, I cannot guarantee that the issue will be resolved, but it would provide you with clarity on the reasons behind any unresolved matters, rather than being left in a state of uncertainty.

@pmgomes77,
"Severely understaffed": OK, but with the increase in the number of immigrants, expats, NHR, .... shouldn't this situation be expected? Why not allocate staff from other public services? If they increased from 50 people to 100 (see post #7 above) it would make a difference....

Common sense is needed. Otherwise, it would be preferable to tell those interested in applying for new visas that there is no access to new visas for x years.... this way, stress and unfulfilled expectations in reasonably acceptable deadlines would be avoided....
-@JohnnyPT

The Portuguese government is out of touch with what is going on in the country. That is not different from other EU countries or the EU itself. It is also not limited to visa, but also to NHS, other public services and housing. If it the plan to integrate x thousand new people into the system called Portugal, and this is tried with the same or even lower resources then you get what we all see with SEF as a shining example.

Common sense is exactly what is missing for years already and unfortunately it will not going to get better. And this isn't a money problem, because many issues cannot be resolved by throwing money at it (despite that governments seem to believe that). So maybe legal immigration to Portugal from outside the EU isn't the best idea right now.

I agree with the advice to first get a NIF /Fiscal number from the Finances Office - to be found in nearest town. However, you do need a Fiscal Representative too…. a lawyer or Portuguese resident who makes sure you pay your taxes.

Next, start the visa process in your home country- D7 for example. There is plenty of online info for this.

Beware of VFS Global who process your visa application as they also have little regard for applicants. I found emailing the Portugueses Embassy and Consulate regarding my problems re my application helpful. …at least I got a useful reply from a human not a robot. When you get a visa you can use the visa number to log on to the SEF site and get an appointment or go to your local SEF with this visa. This finalises your residency visa application.

It is frustrating and certainly not quick. If you have enough money to support yourself you will get there.

It has taken me 6 months to get my D7 and I have yet to get a SEF appointment through the online system.

Hi Johnny, while I understand your concerns, I believe this platform may not be the most suitable avenue to address your complaints. I strongly recommend that you explore other channels provided by the Portuguese government for that purpose. If you or someone you know has been waiting for a family reunion for such a long period of time, it is possible that the matter should have been addressed through appropriate channels during those two years.

-@pmgomes77

Hi Pedro,

If you check more carefully, you will see that I am a Portuguese citizen. I know that lawyers have access to different channels, but from the feedbacks given here I don't think they shorten the times...

Common sense is exactly what is missing for years already and unfortunately it will not going to get better. And this isn't a money problem, because many issues cannot be resolved by throwing money at it (despite that governments seem to believe that). So maybe legal immigration to Portugal from outside the EU isn't the best idea right now. -@nz7521137

I understand what you think Tom. The problem is that the government has done very little to stop immigration from two or three Asian countries (I won't say which ones). They themselves are blocking the SEF phone system, and these immigrants have created mafias who promoted illegal immigration, and that are FINALLY being dismantled.

Legal and qualified immigration, or immigration that brings some economic return is always required. Not those unskilled immigrants who think this country is an open door to go to other European countries. Portugal should start by applying its laws. The issue here is to apply...

I agree with the advice to first get a NIF /Fiscal number from the Finances Office - to be found in nearest town. However, you do need a Fiscal Representative too…. a lawyer or Portuguese resident who makes sure you pay your taxes.
Next, start the visa process in your home country- D7 for example. There is plenty of online info for this.
Beware of VFS Global who process your visa application as they also have little regard for applicants. I found emailing the Portugueses Embassy and Consulate regarding my problems re my application helpful. …at least I got a useful reply from a human not a robot. When you get a visa you can use the visa number to log on to the SEF site and get an appointment or go to your local SEF with this visa. This finalises your residency visa application.
It is frustrating and certainly not quick. If you have enough money to support yourself you will get there.
It has taken me 6 months to get my D7 and I have yet to get a SEF appointment through the online system.
-@susanroszkowiak

Hi Susan, You will need a tax representative as long as you do not have a residence permit yet, then you do not need one, as long as you join the electronic notification system.

For the D7 visa, the booking at SEF is done by SEF itself. Your appointment schedule is supposed to be written on your visa, click at a URL on the bottom right side.

@nz7521137 I have absolutely no dog in this race nor I speak on behalf of PT government . I've literally tried to provide objective info of the current state of affairs. And for the sake of objectivity, We have SNS not NHS!

Wishing you a wonderful day 1f600.svg

@JohnnyPT truth to be told, couldn't care less where you from, if you know people! Good for you. Perhaps you could help those in need better than I do.

Wishing you a great day! 1f600.svg

@JohnnyPT truth to be told, couldn't care less where you from, if you know people! Good for you. Perhaps you could help those in need better than I do. Wishing you a great day! 1f600.svg -@pmgomes77

Desejo-lhe também um excelente dia. Faltam aqui portugueses que ajudem pro-bono. Há alguns que aparecem por aqui, deixando rasto com o objectivo de arranjar clientes para os seus negócios, o que sei que não é o seu caso. Tudo de bom para si, e participe sempre.

É sempre bem vindo.

@nz7521137 I need to be registered first at sef so I can get an nif number as I have left uk to live here.

@steve,

It is just the opposite.

The NIF is required for you to start the process of applying for a visa, family reunification or other.

https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/migrantes-v … m-portugal

To request the NIF, you need the following documents:

- Non-resident in Portugal - identification document or passport and have a fiscal representative (individual or collective) with residence in national territory. It can be your portuguese girlfriend, in case she is resident in Portugal.

@JohnnyPT

Logic and common sense are not in the political vocabulary of Portuguese politicians, although I agree this would go a long way to resolving the SEF issues. I do not blame SEF entirely for this disaster of a system that Portugal has created for itself.

I also agree with your "maybe Portugal is not a place to come to if you live outside of the EU". I can confirm that as a fact, having waited nearly 4 years AFTER approval of my GV to get a final biometric appointment. Despite having raised a case in the courts, which contained a court ruling for SEF to provide the appointment, SEF have not responded beyond a letter to say they do not have appointments available.

This is not a system in a mess - there simply is no system!

A disgrace and my advice would be for anyone considering residency via any means in Europe - look elsewhere!   

@williamstony360,

It's sad, I don't know what to say. GV was a good option before this government, until about 7 years ago. This government decided to do a reorganisation of SEF, all because of the death of an immigrant caused by SEF police officers, and also because of pressure from a far left party that supported that government. Now with an absolute majority, this reorganisation should go well, but it seems that not so much... I prefer to be quiet and not write what I should not say....

Just saying that non-EU citizens should forget the GV. They should choose D7, it's easier, cheaper and with much less problems....

@stevenanew Hi Steve, you first need a NIF. I provide NIF services. If you need it, feel free to reach out.

So I applied for my D visa in September last year and it was put in my passport on March 31 this year. However, the date they gave me for the appointment was only mid-April, but no one even told me about this. I just got my visa back in an envelope with no other instructions, and the SEF website had told me I needed to make an appointment over the phone. Not to mention it wasn't even possible for me to get to that appointment on such short notice. It's not like I had any idea when I was even getting the visa back in the first place.

So what do I do now? I have no appointment, just the visa, and I call 20x per day and no one answers. I cannot make an appointment online and no one answers the phone. I just have a D visa with 120 day expiration. What am I supposed to do?

I email and all I get are automated responses. They wouldn't let me in the SEF building. I have no idea what my options are since no one will actually talk to me.

Hello.  I was in a similar situation.  What I did when I arrived was get a Portuguese phone number.  I started dialing as soon as the office opens / 8am.  I ran into constant stops and starts with recordings and disconnects.  I didn't give up - as soon as it became apparent I wasn't getting thru I redialed immediately - I kept it up for 1.30 hours.  Finally someone picked up and I got my appt within 3 weeks and had my card in 6 weeks. 

@noone1,

Unfortunately that's the way it is, what can you say about such a bad service ..... :(

You should try as @lfdasalla says here... start phoning at 8am straight away, you might get lucky....

Hi, does anyone know if I can start calling SEF for appointment before I arrive in Portugal

Hi, does anyone know if I can start calling SEF for appointment before I arrive in Portugal

-@uzhany

First of all, what is the purpose of the contact? Are you already a resident? Have you applied for a visa? .....

Not sure if this will help. = https://aima.gov.pt/

@JohnnyPT i have received my D7 visa, and want to get the appointment at SEF for the residence card appointment.

@uzhany,

There used to be a link in your visa/email which, when you accessed it, it would show you the date, time and place of your appointment at SEF for your interview and delivery of documents.  If this is no longer applied now, you should call AIMA (the former SEF) and try to make an appointment. If you can't get through to them, then go to an office and ask your question.

https://aima.gov.pt/pt

This website is still under construction, because AIMA was created at the end of october 2023. But you have some phones available in this website to make phone appointments.

@JohnnyPT Thank you