Advice on moving to crete

We are planning to retire to crete  we have  been doing some research but you can't beat advice from real experience. What is the best advice you have been given? Or what do you wish you had known before moving. We are unsure of the area we planning to move to .

@carol mckinney

Brit with Greek heritage - purchased a house that I have renovated in Greece so lots of first hand experience - happy to have a call to help to save writing a lot of stuff down

Phil

@PhilIpZ20201

Hello

Did you renovate yourself or use a builder? I am having unbelievable trouble finding a reliable builder who is just that - a builder - and doesn't want to create unnecessary bureaucracy or impose their ideas over my own simple requirements. I'm fully aware of the legal side of things, but having had my place for twenty years I'm also 99% sure that this particular village is safe to undertake works that aren't externally visible under the radar so to speak as that is still very much the norm here.

@carol mckinney

Hi

I've had a tiny house in a Cretan village for 20 years now, albeit only for longish holidays, my advice would be take a very, very relaxed attitude towards everything as nothing remotely out of the ordinary happens to any schedule.

If you're thinking of buying a modern or fully restored house with all facilities then it's unlikely you'll have any issues once you've completed the legal process of buying. BUT if you're planning on buying something old and a bit decrepit (or a scenic ruin) then you need to be prepared to really rough it and have rooms or a hotel nearby to use for when you've had enough. My advice is don't move into a Cretan property until it has electricity, water, drainage, a shower and WC plus air conditioning in the bedroom or you may find, as I have, getting any work done as a foreigner is frustratingly difficult despite seeing the locals seemingly having no problems in this respect. Also beware of the plethora of architects (some claiming to offer the whole project management to completion) as they inevitably decide what they think is required rather than listening to your own requirements.

PS the towns and cities are completely different to the countryside and coast, so do bear that in mind.

Hope this helps.

@larches2

on my own employing and firing various people along the way

@larches2 thank you 😊

@PhilIpZ20201

Thanks, unfortunately I can't spend sufficient time in Crete to attempt any serious DIY myself or frankly to hire and fire incompetents hence my search for someone reliable (things are suddenly looking up on that front).

@carol mckinney

You're welcome, let me know if you have any questions - I'm no expert but have been visiting Crete since 1981 and a property owner there since 2003 so have picked up a few things along the way.

@larches2

good luck but at least you have been pre-warned