EU citizens looking to retire in Malta and needing guidance

Dear All - we are EU citizens looking to retire to Malta in the second half of 2024 and would appreciate receiving guidance and tips on residency and tax issues and process for us. Any and all suggestions and names of professionals welcomed. Thank you

@gahartl

hello and welcome on board !

While waiting for members to share some info, i would suggest that you go through the articles of the Living in Malta guide for expats.

Regards

Bhavna

@Stefan Brandt  If they retire here they will have to apply for residency even though they are EU citizens.

Dear All - we are EU citizens looking to retire to Malta in the second half of 2024 and would appreciate receiving guidance and tips on residency and tax issues and process for us. Any and all suggestions and names of professionals welcomed. Thank you

-@gahartl

I am from Germany and living in Malta since 2013. If you have any specific questions please let me know. As a retiree I recommend you pay taxes in your home country. However, you need the health service over here which you can obtain via your German health insurance. If you decide to live here permanently I recommend you apply for residency as soon as possible.Without the residence card you cannot apply for the entitlement of the Maltese health service.

An additional advice do not bring your car from Germany. A lot of people were having problems due to taxation. I bought my car over here after I sold my German car which I was allowed to drive in Malta for seven month. 

@hanselmar5

You still have to complete a tax return here every year.

@gahartl
Hi there. If you have already decided that you do need residence and a residence card, you can contact me on (+356) **0 and I might be able to help. However, I cannot help with the decision as to whether you need Maltese residence or not. I might only help you obtain it after you decide that you need it. Stefan

-@Stefan Brandt

They are required by law to register and be issued with a residency card and this is a matter of going to the Identity Malta office and proceeding from there. They would not need help as they have a right to residency by virtue of being EU citizens.

Hi @gahartl

Malta is a beautiful place for retirement.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Promotion of your services is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi @gahartlMalta is a beautiful place for retirement. ***         -@digitalfix13

We have experts here, that can help for free.

@hanselmar5

THANK YOU Very kind.

I am from Germany and living in Malta since 2013. If you have any specific questions please let me know.

As a retiree I recommend you pay taxes in your home country.   COULD YOU BE MORE SPECIFIC, I UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR PENSION SHOULD BE RECEIVED AND PAID IN MALTA ?

However, you need the health service over here which you can obtain via your German health insurance.  CAN YOU ALSO BE MORE SPECIFIC IF YOU CAN PLEASE,

WHAT KIND OF PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE DO YOU RECOMMEND AND WHAT IS AVERAGE COST.

If you decide to live here permanently I recommend you apply for residency as soon as possible

THANK YOU

OLIVIER

@hanselmar5
THANK YOU Very kind.

I am from Germany and living in Malta since 2013. If you have any specific questions please let me know.

-@olivierhick

Your profile says you are French?

@hanselmar5
THANK YOU Very kind.

As a retiree I recommend you pay taxes in your home country.   COULD YOU BE MORE SPECIFIC, I UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR PENSION SHOULD BE RECEIVED AND PAID IN MALTA ?

However, you need the health service over here which you can obtain via your German health insurance.  CAN YOU ALSO BE MORE SPECIFIC IF YOU CAN PLEASE,
WHAT KIND OF PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE DO YOU RECOMMEND AND WHAT IS AVERAGE COST.
If you decide to live here permanently I recommend you apply for residency as soon as possible

THANK YOU
OLIVIER

-@olivierhick

A few days ago I applied for the renewal of my residence card. Important is the health insurance. You do not need private health insurance if you

are a member of a nationwide health insurance in Germany. (like AOK,DAK or BIG)This insurance will provide you with a document that you are entitled to be part of the Maltese health service. The office over here is called "Entitlement Unit" of Ministry for Health, which issues this certificate in accordance of EC Regulations 883/04 and EC Regulations 987109-refundable for citizens of Germany.

This means I do not recommend a private insurance at all unless you are a member of a private insurance in Germany.

About receiving pension in Malta I recommend you open a Maltese bank account. As you will have a tax number in Germany you should declare taxes over there. One EU regulation is to avoid double taxation. Any tax on interest you obtain over here will be taxed directly by the bank and you do not have to declare it.

@hanselmar5 thank you very much. Yes I m French, expatriate for the time and also married to a maltese wife. so planning to retire in Malta.

cheers

Olivier