Dominica insects

Hello, I am a Norwegian, who will visit Dominica forvthe first time in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately only for a day from a RCCL cruise ship.

My »history» with Dominica goes back to 1965, when my father put a downpayment on a plot of land on the island, without having been there. He later visited, but found the land not to his liking, beeing on the »rough» side of Dominica, so the deal was off. Still he fell in love withbthe country and visited several times later, both together with my mother, a couple of my brothers and friends. Myself, though, even having travelled most of the world, never got around to it. Until now. Well, it will be a quick introduction, with plans of soon coming back for a longer stay 😊

My interest are nature exploration and insect photography  and breeding.

So I wonder if any of you would know someone in Dominica that has an interest in insects, particularly beetles and butterflies, that possibly might meet me for a few hours to join me around for a photographic excursion?  Tips on this will be greatly appreciated.

I would particularly be thrilled to find the giant Hercules beetle (Dynastes hercules).

Of course a long shot, having such a short time ashore. But just mentioning it 🤗

Second question, if first one doesn't »go through»:  getting ashore on the cruise harbour; will there be offers on the dock from private tour guides there? As I would prefer not to join tours with a lot of other passengers, like prebooked sightseeing tours placed onboard our ship.

Any tips on the fees such guides charge, compared to prearranged tours?

Looking extremely much forward to my Dominica visit 😃

Thank you

Hans