Waste Management in Turkey

Hello everyone,

As an expat in Turkey, waste management can often pose challenges and requires an understanding of local standards and regulations. Understanding local practices is essential for environmental compliance and seamless integration into daily life.

Here are some points to share your experience:

How can you learn about waste management in Turkey (types of waste collected, sorting, collection days, recycling, bulky items, etc.)? Do local authorities provide information on waste management to newcomers?

What are the main differences you've noticed compared to your home country in terms of waste management? How have you adapted?

Are there recycling programs, composting initiatives, or other eco-friendly alternatives to reduce waste in Turkey? What personal initiatives can be implemented?

How are hazardous waste items such as batteries, household chemicals, or electronic equipment managed?

What actions are taken to encourage compliance with regulations (rewards, penalties, taxes, etc.)?

If you have any other relevant information to share about waste management, please do not hesitate!

Thank you for your contribution.

The Expat.com Team

In our country waste management  is usually run by Lucchese and Colombo Crime families . We pay  inflated rates especially as  restaurant owner in NYC& Long Island . At least free of charge in Turkey. Forget about it

Waste management, I do not know too much, but where we live poor people are happy with bottles and other useful things. I suppose they will get some money for empty bottles (glass or plastic).  By the way we try to segregate (normal rubbish and empty bottles).

This of course before normal garbage men come (twice a day at learst)

They are looking for everything, we had a broken chair (quite good) and put it with garbage (too much hassle too repair), it was gone within 30 minutes.

Garbage can also create a living for people who collect.

So no real waste management, but really poor people make a living out of that (I think what is positive).

Waste management is a massive issue in Türkiye.

We have moved to Antalya 4 months ago and we are shocked and saddened about how dirty the streets, rivers and sea are! İ cannot believe how easily people just throw rubbish in rivers, ground, play areas, sand, streets...shocking! İt's disgusting!

İn Lara, where I live, the place is really dirty. No one cares. No one clean the rubbish. Children play in dirty playgrounds.

İn London, we have a good waste management which include recycling of all sorts such as paper, metal, glass, shoes, clothes, plastic, food, general waste...

Everything is recycled and reused. The streets are well cleaned and looked after.

My family and I are really surprised on how dirty Antalya is. İt's a shame!