Rentista temporary visa application

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently living in Toronto, Canad and looking to move to southern Chile to start a new career in conservation management and have therefore applied for a temporary visa under the rentista category. On the SMN portal, my application has been in the "analysis" stage for over 6 weeks, however I am unable to find information on how long the application process is expected to take. As most websites (including those of Chilean consulates!) haven't updated their information yet after the immigration law changed in 2022, I have currently no indication whatsoever how long it may take.

If anyone on this forum has applied for a temporary visa under the new immigration online system, I'm curious to hear how long it took for the application to be analysed and moved to the next "resolution" stage.

cheers,

Fleur 

Hi Fleur,

We are immigration lawyers. Our experience is that you will get a first response from the Immigration Department after around 4 months. In most cases, this is when somebody starts to work on your application. However, you can calculate another 4 months until you have fulfilled all requirements. It is recommended to stay in your home country until the visa has been granted as one of the additional requirements could be to present yourself at a Chilean consulate.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the feedback! I just read an article that SERMIG is looking to reduce the processing time, so I'll have my fingers crossed that they make good on this, but will certainly keep the approx. 8 months in mind for now.

infomigra.org/sermig-se-compromete-a-reducir-entre-35-a-60-dias-habiles-la-respuesta-de-solicitudes-de-residencia-temporal-realizadas-durante-el-2024/