Returning to Live in Spain

Hi, I'm new to this group and wanted some advice as to how to return to live in Spain.

I lived in Spain for thirty years between 1985 and 2015.

I still own the home that I lived in for 30 years on the Costa Brava and want to return to live there.

My daughters were both born in Spain and still live there, they have British passports and TIEs.

I now have twin grandsons born to my eldest daughter and her Spanish husband.

I have a British passport but also have an NIE number.

I have a Spanish bank account and a mortgage in Spain.

My query is what is the best way for me to apply to return to live in Spain.

Can I apply through my daughters as a family member?

Can I reclaim my residency ? I have been travelling back and forth to Spain every year various times since I moved back to England.

Do I need to get a nomad visa ?

Not sure where to start. I want to spend more than 90 days in 180 with my daughters and grandchildren .

Shall I re empadronarme?

Thanks for all your advice in advance !

Claudia

@claudiajharvey. As I see it, the nearest Spanish consulate is the most reliable place to solve your questions. Owning property schould easen things.

@claudiajharvey

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with sorting out your residence status!

Arguably, you acquired residence rights under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. But I don't know if this is an easy path to take in order to get formal residence approved (with a TIE).

I did something similar in Cyprus by providing evidence of bank account, property ownership, and bill payment going back 10 years. It's easier if you previously had a TIE (as a non-EU citizen) or if you had your little Registration Certificate (for EU citizens, as we were). Did you ever do anything formal at immigration like this, or you only asked for a NIE, and nothing more?

As you are a grandmother, are you already (or soon to be) retired? Retiring with an NLV (no lucrativa visa) is not a difficult option.

As your daughters are officially Spanish residents, I would suggest you look at the rules related to Family Reunification. I'd suggest a quick consultation with an immigration attorney (can be done online quite inexpensively) would be well worth doing.

Separately, I suggest you get back on the padron next time you visit Spain.