HMRC A1 certificate advice

Hi there,

I'm self employed with a limited company and starting the Spanish Digital Nomad Visa application. I have some questions regarding the A1 HMRC form

• it asks for an end date of my stay there. Ideally I would like to go there and extend this to a residency permit, what end date should I use? The visa only allows for a years stay, so should I just put an end date of one year later?
  • Do I need to fill in the CA3837 form even tho I run my own company?

Many thanks

Niall

@ndmccormack

The DNV is a residence visa, and you become a legal resident of Spain. And it can be renewed.

I'd guess you can get another A1 when you apply to renew your DNV.

Separately... you're "self employed with a limited company". It's your own LTD? Or an independent UK company paying you as an independent contractor?

Hey @gwynj, thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess I can just apply for a new one when the time comes.

Yes, I have my own LTD company, so am the sole director. Do I need to fill in the CA3837 or is this only for people who have actual employees?

@ndmccormack

I recommend you have a read of the detailed requirements in the link below. I'm wondering if you can show your income in a way that's satisfactory.

You say you have a company (and are a director), but you said you were also self-employed. This is quite an unusual arrangement, as one would normally be an employee of one's own service company.

https://balcellsgroup.com/digital-nomad-visa/

@gwynj Thanks! I mistook the HMRC A1 and CA3837 as different forms, but they are actually the same :)

I have my own LTD and invoice my clients through that. It's not that uncommon in the UK for freelancers / contractors to do.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out :)

I have my own LTD and invoice my clients through that. It's not that uncommon in the UK for freelancers / contractors to do.     -@ndmccormack

Agreed, the invoicing part is very standard. It's you being "self employed" that was puzzling me. It's much more typical to be an employee of your LTD.