Running in Accra

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to Accra in March.

As I am a passionate long distance runner, I was wondering if there are any good areas for a long training run? I am not a gym person and love outdoor sports, so the good old treadmill would only be a last resort.

Many thanks,

Grenouillevert

I am not a runner but I would recommend the beach, along the shore line. A lot of people are training there and you would avoid getting hit by a car, step into something nasty or sharp on the side of the road and the air is healthier.

Yeah the beach is a right place and more serene

Thanks to all of you guys. Much appreciated.

Looking forward to running in Accra.

Cheers,

Grenouillevert

I don't know, where I lived (in Cape/Elmina), people use the beach as a public rest room. I'd be scared! Maybe Accra's OK. The other good places to run are university campuses during daylight hours as they're spacious and usually green.

Good luck!

Gayle
All about life in Ghana
http://gisforghana.blogspot.com

hi,the dear runner,are u in accra now? can i run with u?

Hello Grenouillevert,

I am not a runner but a walker..i like walking a lot and chose the beach..but to my horror (like GP said - see comment below) some of the beaches are used as rest room.  I have actually witnessed it personally so choose your beach well..otherwise an enjoyable run may turn to be a disgusting one.  Happy running!!
ciao,
Nance

running is a good sport ,maybe the best sport.I hope everyone can like it,not only can enhance out body,the most important it has many mixed feeling:Happiness, pain, uncertainty,persistence, victory and so..............

Hi Grenouillevert, I jog in my neighborhood. If you up living in a planned residential area, your neighborhood might be a great place to run. That's what I do.

Wishing you'll up living close to where I live so I can go jogging/running with you... :)

~Rietta

If your looking for a more entertaining running club look into The Hash House Harriers http://www.africahash.co.za/#OtherAfrica