3 days in Accra, Ghana - what are the best things to do?

Hello,

I am arranging a trip for a candidate of mine to visit Accra to see if he would like to live there.

He is in his early 50's and into watersports - sailing, fishing, snorkelling etc - does anyone have any recommendations of what is available in the area and also generally what to see and what not to see to give him the best possible impression of Accra?

Best restaurant?
Best bar?
Best beach?

Thanks for any recommendations.

KB

KBaxter wrote:

Hello,

I am arranging a trip for a candidate of mine to visit Accra to see if he would like to live there.

He is in his early 50's and into watersports - sailing, fishing, snorkelling etc - does anyone have any recommendations of what is available in the area and also generally what to see and what not to see to give him the best possible impression of Accra?

Best restaurant?
Best bar?
Best beach?

Thanks for any recommendations.

KB

Hi,

I notice some key words and phrases such as:
1. candidate
2. live there
3. watersports
4. best possible impression etc.

I would give 1 & 2 a miss as these are quite subjective and go a little on 3 and mostly on 4.

There are numerous places along the coastline but 3 days simply aren't enough for candidate to enjoy the seasports e.g. wake, surf, fish etc. Probably candidate may have to give it a miss but candidate may visit the beaches and see first hand what catches there are from the local fishermen who nornally go out in their dugouts. At least he will know that there are quite good haul to be had if candidate ventures out in a motorboat.

On 4, I would suggest candidate rather see the true nature of what Ghana has to offer instead of painting the best. Getting a feel of the best may seem fine but on the whole, candidate; if so chooses to live in Ghana; may not be in a position to be at all the bests at all times. Then, reality stikes in faster and mindset patterns can vary too.

My take, show him the locality where candidate is likely to reside, the vicinity of his working environment, nice people in Ghana, humble yet palatable joints rather than fine dining, stroll down one of those beautiful beaches Ghana has to offer and yes, 1 important thing candidate has to try: fresh young coconut. You don't get to taste this kinda nuts in Leeds do you? Lol

Anyway, there are 2 sides of the coin. You may still choose to take a blindsighted tour and take him to the bests if not the best of the bests.

I will give way here for others to recommend what Ghana has to offer for our candidate in question.

Cheers bro

I would suggest that you contact a relocation company here to meet the person concerned and take them around as Accra can be quite an overwheming place for a person who has never been before and you don't indicate if he has transport or is expected to find his way to these places on his own.
Most of the watersport areas are outside Accra and as suggested might be too far for a 3 day visit but you could get out to Kokobrite or Tills Beach in a day.
For nature there is Legon Botanical Gardens which are worth a visit.
There are so many bars restauants to cater for every taste. Oxford St area would be a good place to start.