US woman moving to Oman looking for other US woman to get info on Oman

We are not 100% certain yet but should get contract soon.  Me, my husband and 2 girls may be moving to Oman soon.  I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start.  Schools, prices in supermarket, furniture, clothes LOL  the list goes on and on.... I would really like to get this info from someone who is from the US as I know prices and currencies differ from country to country.  This will be the first international move for me and although I am excited I am very nervous. 

Thanks in Advance

You are most welcome eviator...:)
Don't worry...and no need to be nervous...

Well, there are many private schools for expat kids...main schools are American British academy (ABA) & British school (BSM)...
I don't know about the procedures and prices for those schools but you can find out in their website...

For the housing...well i don't know which level you r looking for..However, you can find wide range for the housing...depends on the type of housing...
For a flat with 2 rooms and kitchen the average will be +/- 780$...
For the food staff...you might get one meal with +/- 7.8$...

supermarket items...well I don't know...give me a list of the items and I will give u the exact prices...cloths as well...not that much expensive I guess....

For furniture...you can find a full luxury bed room with around +/- 4,000 $...there is good Chinese furniture with more less price...and it is good furniture as well...

That what I know...and I am pretty sure u will enjoy living here soooo much...the people are friendly and peaceful...and the country is save and nice...with sunny weather most of the time...but it's not hot that much these days...
You r welcome to Oman again

Cheers,

Thanks so much.  Since we have a contract on our house from a couple who wants to buy it I am thinking that we will more than likely just sell most items and keep the few antique pieces that mean a lot to me.  I can leave them with relatives I guess.  From what I understand the company is going to provide housing but since the final contract is not here I don't know if the means a allowance for it or an actual residence. That sounds comparable to local prices for a 2 bedroom. I will want a 3 bedroom place, hopefully close to beach since that is one thing that makes it so appealing to move there for me.  We are somewhat beach bunnies LOL.  From my understanding you can wear bathing suits on private beaches but on public it is more appropriate to stay more covered?  I hope that we get final contract soon so that I can make more permanent plans.  The waiting and not knowing is killing me!

Thanks Again!

hi drar eviator
you and your family welcome to Oman
here in Oman all things are available
and not expensive this time easy to get a good house or flat
in anywhere in Oman
again welcome to all family
if you want help just send email to me
regards

you welcome again eviator

i guess place close to beach is not cheap... :(

the housing allowance is better sometime...it depend..

cheers,

Thanks, at this time we have not yet received our contract and with everything going on in the area not sure if it is going to come through anytime soon.  Once I have particulars I guess I can see what they are offering covers.
Are the happenings in Egypt, Jordan and Yemen affecting Oman?  What I see on the news here especially in Egypt is quite unnerving to me.

Thanks Again

No...at all...Egypt is different.
GCC countries are different...GCC are more stable...

Oman is amazing ,stable and save. i dont think, completly, something going to happen here...

HI all

oman is different like what he said bestcoach here is safe place and every thing goes well so dont worry about oman here is every thing cooool

regards
amo

We are keeping our fingers crossed that the contract will come through soon  I am actually pretty excited about it.

Dear Eviator,

maybe you want to google for "The Wave" here in Muscat. It's a community-like residential place and it's located right at the beach. There are appartments, townhouses and villas for rent.
It's nice, modern style buildings but it's a bit outside the "city centre" (if that exists here) and therefore you need to see how far the drive to your future workplace would be.

If you need further information on The Wave then let me know, I'm staying there since roughly 1 year with my wife.

Greetings, Peter

Hi Eviator,
Firstly I would like to welcome to Oman. I am Shaju Thomas an Indian national working here in Oman the last two years. Oman is a simple and good country, not like any other Middle East country. Here you will get all necessory facility in medium expense. Here American School also available.Lot of english people are settled and working in Oman. In oman now the accommodation (Villas & Flats) are availabel, not that much cheal. You can look accommodation in THE WAVE, You can find this in internet also.
Any way I am again welcome you and your family to Oman. Any time you can expect y assistance.
Shaju Thomas

Thanks guys I have googled the wave now and I am quite happy.  These are very nice and the amminites are what i am looking for.  We still wait and dont know what is going to happen on the job front but at least now I know what I like in the area.  Since my husband will go first he can look for me :-)

Hey,

I'd be happy to guide you in whatever you wish to know about this place. I've been living in Muscat since 3 years now. Email me at zeeshangul@hotmail.com to keep in touch

Hi Dear ,

I can recommend a person who can help you she is Susan , Susan is from USA and she is AMBASSADOR of our Expat club here in muscat, you may please log on to internations to contact Susan.
All the best

In case you have any other querry u can trust me

Cheers
Steven