Retiring in Zambia

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Zambia? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Zambia (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Zambia's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Zambia?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Retiring in Zambia can be a very rewarding option specially for those with connections to the country.
To apply visit the Zambia immigration website. Any person having a retirement income is eligible to apply.
The process is very easy. Avoid using agents as they will usually just delay and cost you money. Make all applications through the Lusaka office again for the same reasons given for agents.
Advise to those with personal link to the country I'd advise living alone as opposed to living with extended family as cost of living can be a stretch with additional people. A good amount of money needed to live comfortably in zambia excluding rentals if you're renting is $750 to $1000. This allows for decent living standards.

Health care in Zambia for expats is best kept to private clinics and hospitals. Insurance can be purchased through a good insurance provider such and gold and or Madison. There are other options such as SES who are very expensive. But they provide a good service I think maybe going for a good medium cover should be good enough as the country have very good hospitals in the capital city which they can transfer you to.
Benefit of retiring is that you can get home help very cheaply such as a maid and gardener. Gardeners are usually best kept as part time workers whilst maids 6 days a week.
Those with a good retirement plan or income say anything above $600 can give a decent life and enjoy the weather.
Main advise is to steer away from living with extended family unless your income exceeds $1500 per month.

I plan to retire in Zambia August 2023 how do I start my application process, how much are fees and I have good income on social security, do I also need a savings account as well?