Young retiree considering Accra

Hello everyone and thank you for visiting my post! My name is Bomani and I am currently living in the United States. I am a fulltime soldier as it stands now but due to an injury I am being retired from active duty with some great benefits. My question is this... how far will 1500 USD get you in Accra (rent and utilities included)? Beyond this I would also like to know how marketable my skills would be. My time as a soldier has given me a very diverse skill set... I have small arms training, first responder qualifications (emt and combat casualty care), extensive communication technology knowledge and leadership/management skills. I have worked with the Ugandan special forces as an instructor before and I wouldn't mind doing the same for Ghanaian soldiers or police. Before you say work for the embassy... no. Any information is greatly appreciated!

The only big expense would be your accommodation. If you are prepared to live away from centre or perhaps share accommodation then you should be able to find something for less than $500 a month. You will be expected to pay at least 6 months up front. Living on $1000 is doable if you cater for yourself and use local transport.
As to employment I'm sure you have marketable skills but you would have to search for a good employer. Getting a work permit can be a problem as local employers are often not willing to pay the expense but it is possible. If you can get employment before you come that is the best way
Good luck

The exact information I was looking for! Thank you!

I have a place I'm doing up in Accra in a prime area of Accra, when completed I can let it out for you

Hello JUSTINA7 if you are still on this platform this is my late response

Sorry for responding late, cos I hardly come onto this website. However as I said Im doing up my place which is at East Airport near Accra Mall and the Just off the Spintex Road . ***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Offers should be made only in the Housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct