How do i obtain my mauritian citizenship by descent?

Good day,

I' currently in Cape Town, South Africa and will be coming to Mauritius in July this year.
My mother is a Mauritian Citizen and i would like to apply for my Mauritian passport when i come down in July.

What do i need to bring with me when i come to Mauritius?

Thanks in advance.

Meesha

Hi Meesha,

Welcome to Expat.Com

Have a look at the official information here : http://dha.pmo.govmu.org/English/Mandat … NSHIP.aspx

Not sure but, is this your second profile : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=835127 ??

Regards,
Bhavna

Hello you should bring your I'd card an your birthday act n you tell me when you're coming I can help you

MeeshaV wrote:

Good day,

I' currently in Cape Town, South Africa and will be coming to Mauritius in July this year.
My mother is a Mauritian Citizen and i would like to apply for my Mauritian passport when i come down in July.

What do i need to bring with me when i come to Mauritius?

Thanks in advance.

Meesha

You have to apply for citizenship first BEFORE applying for you Mauritian passport

Hi Bhavna,

Yes,  I had to create a new one.  For some reason I couldn't log in and it said my email address is not recognized when I tried to reset my password.

Couldn't make it to Mauritius last year, due to my surgery. But I'll be coming to Mauritius on the 1st of July for about 2 weeks.

What does my mom have to bring with her?

Kind regards
Meesha

Yeah,  I remembered that after I posted this.

Helllo again MeeshaV,

Ok no problem in that case. From your mom's side, well, the information posted by Winston is still valid.

WinstonH wrote:

Good day,

You are eligible for citizenship by descent though your mother.

You will need:

-Your mother's birth certificate (the updated version - can be obtained at the civil status office in Port Louis if she doesn't have one)
-Your mother's Mauritian ID Card if she has one
-Your birth certificate
-Bio Data page of your passport (possibly, so better have it with you)

Then you have to submit all those documents at the 'Prime Minister's Office' and there is a fee. (MUR 2000?).

Not sure about how long the process can take but I discussed with a few who did it and it took anything from 12-15 months before an official citizenship certificate is issued.
When the certificate is ready you will receive a letter. There's another fee (MUR 15,000?) to be paid when you go collect it. Then with the certificate in hand, you can apply for a Mauritian ID and passport so you wish.

That said, there might have been some changes since then but the overall procedures are the same.

However, please contact the authorities for official information (fees and so on...)

Awesome,

Thanks a million.

I just need to find out in South Africa, if I'm allowed to have dual citizenship as I was told that I need to notify them first before I apply for another citizenship.

If I don't notify them I could lose my South African Citizenship.

This is such a long process.

A load of great lawyers will help as the government doesn't like you if you're not stinking rich

Hello Dear,
Can you help me also?

Hi

Is there a form to fill out for Mauritians by descent?