Dutch work permit with a DUI

Hey there,

I've a DUI conviction from Dec, 2016 in the United States which was later reduced a DWAI. There was no jail time - was required to do community service and pay a fine.

My background's engineering and I'm in India atm. Given a sponsor, am i permissible to get a Dutch work permit? Put another way, do Dutch immigration laws for skilled workers automically disqualify individuals with a prior criminal conviction?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I know it's a problem when applying for permanent residence or naturalisation, so if that is your ultimate goal, you may want to reconsider.

You do have to declare any convictions when asked; I've read elsewhere that they generally look for 5 years after the sentence was carried out, so if you went to prison, 5 years after the date your sentence is carried out, not the date of sentencing.  The Dutch Immigration authorities will always apply the Dutch version of the law you broke, so if in Holland you would have got 5 years for the same offence, that would be their milestone.

All that said, I'm not a lawyer and everything I've said has come from previous conversations with people who have contributed to the discussions in the past, maybe things have changed.  Assuming you have the money and that Holland is your life goal, then my advice is to speak to an Immigration lawyer; if it's just a job, then perhaps consider elsewhere or perhaps tell your new employer and let their lawyer help you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks a lot for your answer.

You're right, it does look like a no-go so far. Thing is, I'm in final stage of interviews with a Dutch company for a position in Amsterdam. if I get an offer, then at some point, i'd have to disclose about the past conviction. i guess they'd let me know whether the criminal record disqualifies me from obtaining a work permit or just outright reject me after knowing this info.

I've emailed the Dutch consulate and a couple of Dutch immigration lawyers to learn whether there's an automatic bar on applicants with a prior criminal record.

Netherlands isn't a goal it's just that I really like the company and the position. So it'd be pretty sad if I don't qualify for a work permit.

@rangorango Hi. I'm in the same boat as you related DUI. Anyway you get a work permit, or not? I am seriously worrying about it. I hope you got a work permit and are enjoying Holland life now. please reply please~!!