Building a House in the Philippines

My wife and I are thinking of perhaps building another house in the Phils. What do people think of this?

This time we're thinking of building something like this house design from pinoyeplans.com

It's a very traditional looking design, on purpose, but with some surprizes inside re the floor plan. We're thinking of using it for my wife's family purposes, and also to improve the value of a property investment. 

MHD-20120001-perspective-view-2-Copy-700

The planning service responsible  pinoyeplans.com/listing/small-house-design-20120002/
write regarding the Plan Details: "Beds: 3  Baths: 2  Floor Area: 90 sq.m.  Lot Area: 244 sq.m.  Garage: 2

"The unique yet simple layout inside this SHD-20120002 design uses bricks finish in front. Elegant columns “dress up” this three-bedroom modern house design. It's classic styling makes it perfect for almost any neighborhood. The master's bedroom includes a walk-in closet and bathroom. Bedrooms 1 and 2 include built-in closets and share a common bathroom. The kitchen is compact and provides clear views of activities to the rear and is both accessible from the garage and from the open terrace.

The garage can accommodate 2 units. Modern house designs such SHD-20120002 are more prepared due to style and efficiency. This can be built with a lot having a frontage width of 17 meters and depth of 13.5 meters.

ESTIMATED COST RANGE: Budget in different finishes.  Values shown here are rough estimate for each finish and for budgetary purposes only. Budget already includes Labor and Materials and also within the range quoted by most builders. Budget Currency is in Philippine Peso (PHP).

Rough Finished Budget    1,080,000    –    1,260,000
Semi Finished Budget    1,440,000    –    1,620,000
Conservatively Finished Budget    1,800,000    –    1,980,000
Elegantly Finished Budget    2,160,000    –    2,520,000

More often in the Philippines you can see this type of house, since this is a traditional style in this country. House designs in the Philippines use steel or wooden trusses with hipped or gable roofing whether finished with long span roofing or with ordinary as long as it serves its purpose.

MHD-20120001-perspective-view-1.jpg

@PalawOne VERY NICE. I will be building a very simple, much smaller concrete block house for my GF in her Family Barrio Cluster. I am hoping to stay below 500,000 Pesos. No Lot Costs. No AC. Not an Investment for future resale - Just a place to stay.

Fully agree with your plan.
A nice finish is around 25k per sqm right now……pay a lot of attention with electrical wiring and install a proper panel switch…. Not the rubbish locally promoted

Good luck with the project
Thanks matey 1f600.svg and that's great Talamban. Your GF would love this one!

pinoyeplans.com/cottage-inspired-one-bedroom-house-design/

Budget: USD 10,000-15,000 or Php 500,000-750,000  (Similar in concrete-block)

Studio-House-Plans-Gable-Roof-03.jpg
Fully agree with your plan.
A nice finish is around 25k per sqm right now……pay a lot of attention with electrical wiring and install a proper panel switch…. Not the rubbish locally promoted

Good luck with the project
- @Tdionnet

Am glad, Tdionnet, you're very kind .. and we will make sure to do as you say.

Pay particular attention to proper wiring and the switch panel. Will do, thanks.

Maybe should note, we've no relationship with pinoyeplans.com (yet :-)
They've just got things together. Also, wifey came across this elsewhere:

Grider: "I built our house in the Philippines. Once we had bought the lot in the location that we wanted, I set about looking at several houses in the same subdivision, asking who had built the ones I liked etc.

Having benchmarked several house builds, I then sat with their architect, engineer and builder to discuss my plans. At that point I returned to Dubai awaiting their feedback.

The architect sent me a few basic designs, and once I had selected the one closest to my ideas, we set about fine tuning it. He sent me full drawings, which I modified as I needed.

Finally, we had the design sorted. The engineer and builder were on board throughout. At that point they sent me a projected cost and timeframe for the build.

Again this was fine-tuned. On my next visit here, we finalised everything and made a contract with a lawyer.

Everything was detailed in the contract, including the size of rebar, roofing struts, electric cable, concrete mix ratios ......... every detail.

The full set of drawings were also included in the contract, which was 36 pages, together with the agreed payment structure which was based upon relevant milestones in the construction being met and approved.

Up until that point I had not paid a single person.

The agreed contract price included everything, architect fees, blueprints, engineer fees, temporary power connection, City Engineers Office approval and upon completion, inspection by the City Engineers Dept to sign off on the build and issue of the Occupancy Permit.

I visited 4 times during the build and never saw anything that caused me concern. The house was built within the agreed time, within the agreed project price, and to my complete satisfaction.

Throughout the build I was sent over 400 photos and videos from the builder. A good friend plus our new neighbour, a fellow Brit also monitored progress for me.

I am now building a second house, beach house this time in Samal, its about 80% complete and again, so far so good.

It doesn't have to be a disaster, but I suspect that if I had decided to go the route of choosing a builder and paid a daily rate plus materials and used family to oversee, then things may have been a lot different.

Also I did not go cheap. The builder has a solid reputation and his company have been involved in many large projects as well as building private residences.

--
NOTE. When thinking house sizes, they include OUTDOOR space as e g veranda, so it can be much smaller than we foreigners think and expect when just reading descriptions.

And IF building for a foreigner, check if a foreigner can get in, some "bedrooms" are so small so no floor space beside the bed and a normal NorthEuropean CANT lay straight.
An appartment was so small inspite of having two rooms, so - A BIT joking - foreigner would need to lay with head in "bedroom", body in sala and feet in CR...  :)

Concerning costs I happened to see the blogger Philippina Pea told about her recent built 150sqmeter house for 1,5 mill pesos.  Posh front and inside, not posh but ok looking backside part with outdoor kitchen (under roof).
But costs - beside chopise of material and size -depend much of constructor anyway.    I didnt listen any detailed so I dont know how she counted, what's included in which sum.

((We will be building too, but a small manufactory. Concreete (and stone) in comming end of rain period, finnishing after rain period. Later we will add a big simple building of wood except all at concreete plate, more like a barn, to make preprocess more convinient indoor and for storage of material.))
And IF building for a foreigner, check if a foreigner can get in, some "bedrooms" are so small so no floor space beside the bed and a normal NorthEuropean CANT lay straight.
An appartment was so small inspite of having two rooms, so - A BIT joking - foreigner would need to lay with head in "bedroom", body in sala and feet in CR...  :)

Copy on that and make sure the goddamned shower head (faucet to our American friends) is above 6 feet.
Coach writes,

NOTE. When thinking house sizes, they include OUTDOOR space as e g veranda, so it can be much smaller than we foreigners think and expect when just reading descriptions.
`
Yes, a good point Coach
And IF building for a foreigner, check if a foreigner can get in, some "bedrooms" are so small so no floor space beside the bed and a normal NorthEuropean CANT lay straight. An appartment was so small inspite of having two rooms, so - A BIT joking - foreigner would need to lay with head in "bedroom", body in sala and feet in CR...  smile.png
So, check the plan for the actual inside room dimensions. Would hate to wake up with footsies in the bowl.

Concerning costs I happened to see the blogger Philippina Pea told about her recent built 150sqmeter house for 1,5 mill pesos.  Posh front and inside, not posh but ok looking backside part with outdoor kitchen (under roof). But costs - beside choice of material and size - depend much on constructor anyway.    I didn't listen any details so I don't know how she counted, what's included in which sum.

((We will be building too, but a small factory. Concrete (and stone) in coming end of rain period, finishing after rain period. Later we will add a big simple building of wood except all at concrete plate, more like a barn, to make process more convenient indoor and for storage of material.))  - @coach53
`
Ah, all sounds good Coach. Good luck with building your concrete factory and the wooden warehouse after the current rainy season. 

Sounds like things are progressing well for you Coach.

Copy on that and make sure the goddamned shower head (faucet to our American friends) is above 6 feet.  - @Lotus Eater

Haha yes, very good point Lotus. I've been struck with that in Philippine houses and apartments. 
Ah, all sounds good Coach. Good luck with building your concrete factory and the wooden warehouse after the current rainy season. 

Sounds like things are progressing well for you Coach.

- @PalawOne
Thank you.
Well. Most progress very slow as soon as officials need to be involved. Weather make some problems too. E g yesterday the plan was to check a machinery for sale far away, but it had to be canceled because of heavy rain have made the road is to muddy so a lorry cant deliver it at same trip.
BUT we will build at "Agricultural" classified land so NO NEED OF BUILDING PERMIT:)
(But we will need at least one more permit for the business, some unclear yet if we partly can include this second business type in the permits we have for the first business type  (run in same business registration name). I think so, but it isnt sure officials will think same 1f923.svg
Excellent post and thanks! I've been thinking of building also. since we want a decent garden and so many houses built in subdivisions have tiny or non-existent gardens, we were looking at building. Great website, didn't know they also provide building services too. I wonder if those designs are set or can be customized ie bigger rooms. Let us all know how your home building goes. Watched a lot of My PI dream which was quite informative.
@Filamretire 
If you buy rural other than beach* you can buy  HECTARES for similar total cost as a tiny urban lot   :)
Depending of where also. Where I am buying they ask only (80) 100- 150k pesos per hectare (some of them with values at them included.)

* Although there are even BIG lots with beach for very low hectare prices too at south Palawan =Not at tourist places.

@PalawOne Thats an amazing project and property. Price seems ok,  my retirement in the future in a home like this.. Best of luck and best wishes to you and family.

forgot to ask, ive seen a lot of adverts for new build properties with a price, but been advised that the land price is extra! Why do they not include the whole price with the breakdown, also @PalawOnw are you having to pay for the land seperate? Thanks again.

@coach53 wow yes, just have to convince wife. she wants the security and amenities of a subdivision. I also dont want to be close to chicken farm etc but like the idea. If she was in Ilocos she would be open to it, but I dont want to live too close to relatives plus its also very hot

Thats an amazing project and property. Price seems ok,  my retirement in the future in a home like this.. Best of luck and best wishes to you and family .. forgot to ask, ive seen a lot of adverts for new build properties with a price, but been advised that the land price is extra! Why do they not include the whole price with the breakdown, also @PalawOnw are you having to pay for the land seperate? Thanks again.  - @bimprasad

Thanks indeed for your kind wishes, and you're very welcome Bimprasad.

You ask about the land? Well yes, we do own the land for this project already, and are now planning to value-add to the asset by offering potential buyers a complete package of house and land. We don't know why others as you say apparently don't often offer such a house and land package as this.

However, with care, and attention to detail, we expect to be able to offer our family's future neighbours a fair and reasonably priced and a good-quality package with which everyone will be happy with now and also longer-term.

We definitely want a win-win situation for everyone. Hence with care and our close attention to detail now, the situation will be all good for everyone involved going forward in future.

Excellent post and thanks! I've been thinking of building also. since we want a decent garden and so many houses built in subdivisions have tiny or non-existent gardens, we were looking at building. Great website, didn't know they also provide building services too. I wonder if those designs are set or can be customized ie bigger rooms. Let us all know how your home building goes. Watched a lot of My PI dream which was quite informative. - @Filamretire
`
Very kind, thank you Filamretire. We know what you mean about gardens. My wife and I love gardens also.  And agreed, it does appear a great website and business. They seem to have their act together very well indeed. I'm sure their architects will be happy to modify any of their in-house designs & plans to suit your own unique individual requirements.

And also we will make sure to update this excellent Expat.com Forum with news regarding this project longer term. We will also catch up with My PI Dream .. thanks 1f600.svg
We're building a small home in the province right now - 64sm not incl balcony. On a down sloping view lot. One level, roughly 6 x 10m with a kickout for the master CR, and a modern but simple roof. Two bedrooms, one on each side, separated by kitchen and living area in the middle. The long side faces a canyon, with 180 deg views from the ocean to the mountains, including from each bedroom. I have always appreciated a good view.

I drew up the plans and the builder/engineer revised slightly and put them into drafting form for the permits.  It is a moderately steep lot, required digging into the hill, and a large rip-rap retaining wall, and the main columns go deep.  We check on it weekly and they are doing a good job. Local builder with good reputation and two other homes nearby, both survived Odette with nary a problem. Finished cost will be about 1.2m.

There is some gorgeous land available in the mountains.
@PalawanOne Looks like a really great project, hope it goes well and you have fun, and you come in within budget.

Along with the other really good suggestions, here's my 2 cents worth. I've built 3 houses in the Philippines over time, with just my rather simple designs, and an on-site engineer for construction guidance, and a trusted relative sourcing the building materials. We're very happy with this last place, having just spent a month there on vacation (so that's why I've been off-line).

Sorry about my writing style, I'm not trying to sound expert, because I made a lot of mistakes, but putting this in bullet points for efficiency, because I tend to go on a lot.

1. Build with outdoors in mind - as an Aussie you'd appreciate this I think. Some of our province neighbors have lovely homes that would be suitable for northern Europe - with small windows, compartmented rooms, nice plaster freezing etc, even karaoke lights in the ceiling, very colourful walls - but with few outdoor living spaces they're sitting inside hot-boxes watching large TVs, and powering through the electricity with aircon on.

We have a farm and want to see it, so have two huge verandas, one side and front so can move depending on sunshine and breeze. Inside the house we designed open-plan living, with cool tiles on floor throughout. Even though we have an inside kitchen, we prefer to cook and entertain on the verandas, without needing to bring anyone into the house, with just a gas burner. Even when it's pouring rain, it's dry and comfortable, and really nice to watch from a deck chair with a beer.

An outdoor laundry (with cover) at the back side of the house works well and my relatives don't need to wet the entire house, when they spend hours scrubbing. (They have a washing machine BTW).

My inlaws built themself a dirty kitchen out the back, so all the wonderful BBQ'd fish can be cooked without smoke coming into the house.

2. Build with passive cooling in mind - our roof is high and well insulated. We put a storage space in the roof -  the weight-bearing hardboard above ceiling adds to the insulation. The roof also has heat release vents.

Large, dark-tinted jalousie windows can open and let the breeze through the house,  and close sufficiently to block the afternoon sunlight. (we don't have insect screens yet although need them one day when we move permanently).

There are coconut trees planted around the house to absorb heat and provide shade, the verandas have ceiling fans - we're about 15 degrees cooler than the little hot-boxes next door. Many of them have commented, but it's just passive cooling principles.

You'll save a fare bit on electricity. If you want aircon for a good night's sleep then install only in the bedrooms, and then the windows can be smaller, tinted, and single pane glass (as opposed to jalousie).
3. Build for typhoons and extreme weather. Apparently Philippines has a history of more natural disasters than any other country. Large overhanging awnings can catch the wind in a typhoon and blow away, so avoid them. The house should be built on a firm foundation or rock base, elevated above flood level, and flat slab (as opposed to on-stilts) .You don't want typhoon under the house.

Use double the screws (not nails) for roof sheeting. Thick-gauge colorbond. Windows ideally designed so can be easily covered with boards, and I've seen a neat design where security grills can double as a wind-board brackets. We don't have those yet.

There's a lot of mud in the rainy season so concrete walkways around the house and traffic areas are a good idea.

4. Build for large numbers of relatives - if you have a Filipina wife she's likely to have a lot of lovely relatives and friends. Again. big verandas are great! We've had dozens visit for meals and they happily sat around the on the concrete post railing top (if i've explained that right). The only thing is, I wish I'd incorporated into the design another toilet on the veranda. Then no one needs to enter the house.

5. Build for longevity. I know that's obvious. This means possibly more cost, unfortunately in an increasingly expensive materials market. When our first place was built we didn't track things like lights and bathroom fittings, so some of the fittings fell apart or weren't functional, and one of the builders skimped on the concrete mixture. Use "river sand" in the concrete, keep check of the cement ratios, and use thick-as-possible rebar. This time around we sourced and trucked these materials ourselves. (I understand you have a detailed list of specs, so you're likely covered by the contract with a quality builder).  International sockets on every wall, that fit whatever appliance you've got without mucking around with adaptors.

Termites love water and timber, so ensure the hollow blocks well rendered, water diverted away from the base of the house, and if possible use steel roofing frame so they have no need to enter the house. Steel is more heat conductive, so that's where the insulation comes in.

Things like roof guttering is necessary if you have a water storage tank or want to divert rain water from around the house, but if you don't have those needs guttering adds to the expense, collects leaves and needs to be cleaned, and if clogged can cause water over-filland damage to your roof and walls.

6. Build for break-down of utilities. We have regular brown-outs (black-outs) and municipal water cuts. So in the guest house we put in solar system, and large elevated water tank, and that keeps us going for a bit for domestic use when utilities fail. For your farm I anticipate the need will be greater, and so a suitable solar system might not be viable.

Just reading through this... wasn't succinct at all. Hopefully something in here is useful. Watching to see how you get on. Regards.
@pnwcyclist

Sounds lovely, and really well costed.
Thankss, gsturdee.. Great post - very thorough!

@coach53 wow yes, just have to convince wife. she wants the security and amenities of a subdivision. I also dont want to be close to chicken farm etc but like the idea. If she was in Ilocos she would be open to it, but I dont want to live too close to relatives plus its also very hot

- @Filamretire
Many BELIEVE subdivisions are safe just by being a subdivision!   :)
I know of
/A German being outside at his own yard at evening got shot dead by a subdivision guard, who believed he was a thief!
/Not in subdivision but a shop owner, who was liked by he had assisted many after Yolanda typhon,  got shot dead by his own guard just because of he told him to go home because the guard came to work drunk...
/A subdivion guard in a subdivion tried to stop a killing of an American inside a subdivision when the American got in quarell with four rich Filipinois not living in that subdivision, but the guard couldnt stop it...  (The word part of the quarell started in sight of security cam, continued out of sight but could see the guard runned to try to stop it when it became physical. I suppouse. Then the American came in sight trying to run away, but two of the four Filipinos run after him and stabbed him to death. I GUESS the other two hold the guard.)

While in "my" municipaly at south Palawan an American living rural in south part close to NPA say its the safest place he has ever lived...   :)
He live there rural and travel around without any guard and say its safe if acting nice...
At the north half of "his" municipaly (=where my businesses are rural) I have only heared of some drunk needed some "guidance" :) at a fiesta and some hostility but no physical fights about two land disputes, all between Filipinos. At one of the land disputes the failing acted some hostile holding a bolo (=similar to machete) but he run and hide  :) and havent been hostile since after the other told the village "poiliceman".

we do own the land for this project already, and are now planning to value-add to the asset by offering potential buyers a complete package of house and land. We don't know why others as you say apparently don't often offer such a house and land package as this- @PalawOne

Oh I missunderstood earlier - I didnt read proper when I thought you were "just" building for yourself -  I believe you have a good idea prioviding such packages 1f44d.svg
Good luck!
We're building a small home in the province right now - 64sm not incl balcony. On a down sloping view lot. One level, roughly 6 x 10m with a kickout for the master CR, and a modern but simple roof. Two bedrooms, one on each side, separated by kitchen and living area in the middle. The long side faces a canyon, with 180 deg views from the ocean to the mountains, including from each bedroom. I have always appreciated a good view.

I drew up the plans and the builder/engineer revised slightly and put them into drafting form for the permits.  It is a moderately steep lot, required digging into the hill, and a large rip-rap retaining wall, and the main columns go deep.  We check on it weekly and they are doing a good job. Local builder with good reputation and two other homes nearby, both survived Odette with nary a problem. Finished cost will be about 1.2m.

There is some gorgeous land available in the mountains.   - @pnwcyclist
`
Wow .. all sounds truly excellent pnwcyclist.  As old-mate gsturdee writes, it's very well costed. We must pick your brains in detail in future pnwcyclist, when we build on another block very similar to yours matey.

Here's photos from land we're buying. It's around 20 min out of Puerto Princesa City on Palawan, and this block overlooks Honda Bay and Cowrie island. We're buying it from the owners directly on time payments.

You can see the local Barangay grader the owners arranged forming the access road now. It's also a lovely place with 180 degree views. You can just see the city outskirts in the day, and a lovely city evening glow.

iZRG8gH.jpg

V3UnBeT.jpg

IjcFabG.jpg
@PalawOne

Stunning!
1. Build with outdoors in mind - as an Aussie you'd appreciate this I think. Some of our province neighbors have lovely homes that would be suitable for northern Europe - with small windows, compartmented rooms, nice plaster freezing etc, even karaoke lights in the ceiling, very colourful walls - but with few outdoor living spaces they're sitting inside hot-boxes watching large TVs, and powering through the electricity with aircon on.

2. Build with passive cooling in mind - our roof is high and well insulated. We put a storage space in the roof -  the weight-bearing hardboard above ceiling adds to the insulation. The roof also has heat release vents.

Large, dark-tinted jalousie windows can open and let the breeze through the house,  and close sufficiently to block the afternoon sunlight. (we don't have insect screens yet although need them one day when we move permanently).
1f44d.svg
A Swede did built with such thoughts in the hotest parts of Thailand, with "automatic" airflow from bottom of house to the top of the roof where a vent let out the hotest inside air, which have went there.  He has an aircon but almost never need it. 
3. Build for typhoons and extreme weather. Apparently Philippines has a history of more natural disasters than any other country. Large overhanging awnings can catch the wind in a typhoon and blow away, so avoid them. The house should be built on a firm foundation or rock base, elevated above flood level, and flat slab (as opposed to on-stilts) .You don't want typhoon under the house.

Use double the screws (not nails) for roof sheeting. Thick-gauge colorbond. Windows ideally designed so can be easily covered with boards, and I've seen a neat design where security grills can double as a wind-board brackets. We don't have those yet.
Yes. When we are building soon, we are thinking of perhaps trying to make window shutters (of wood) openable at different levels UPWARDS, only openable from inside, so they would become expensive/ugly  :)  If so they can both function as:
/"marquese"
/storm protection of windows
/and a bit making it some time consuming for burglars if anyone try so we get time for someone to get to stop it if we all are elsewhere.  (If burglars have enough time its impossible to stop them from managing to break in. I mean if no one notice.)

I am NOT fond of window grills because of problem if house get fire and I find them disturbing nice views.
4. Build for large numbers of relatives - if you have a Filipina wife she's likely to have a lot of lovely relatives and friends. Again. big verandas are great! We've had dozens visit for meals and they happily sat around the on the concrete post railing top (if i've explained that right). The only thing is, I wish I'd incorporated into the design another toilet on the veranda. Then no one needs to enter the house.
Well. I dont like people come to my house any often , so my "dream house" have second - lockable - floor ONLY for OWN living,
but bottom floor and a big covered veranda/balcony with roof cover made for visits and biger gatherings.

Not all family-in-laws are nice as yours so I recomend living at other island than them if not being sure.
(And myself I dont like visits any often and dislike suprice visits so even with a nice family-in-law I wouldnt want to live to close to them to reduce the amount of times they would visits.)

5. Build for longevity. I know that's obvious. This means possibly more cost, unfortunately in an increasingly expensive materials market. When our first place was built we didn't track things like lights and bathroom fittings, so some of the fittings fell apart or weren't functional, and one of the builders skimped on the concrete mixture. Use "river sand" in the concrete, keep check of the cement ratios, and use thick-as-possible rebar. This time around we sourced and trucked these materials ourselves. (I understand you have a detailed list of specs, so you're likely covered by the contract with a quality builder).  International sockets on every wall, that fit whatever appliance you've got without mucking around with adaptors.

Yes. MOST hollow blocks are crap qualiity by they are made with to litle cement (can be tested by dropping)
and the common is building with NOT dried wood, so they will shrink. A house built for a foreigner was built with such so it became big gaps in the walls 1f923.svg when they dried, so he didnt want it anymore inspite of a fantastic view, and tried to sell it, I suppouse with loss  1f62d.svg
Just reading through this... wasn't succinct at all. Hopefully something in here is useful. Watching to see how you get on. Regards.
- @gsturdee
Why???
I find your post very good written 1f44d.svg
while some stupids think subjects needing long answers need to be max a few lines anyway!!!
Along with the other really good suggestions, here's my 2 cents worth. I've built 3 houses in the Philippines over time, with just my rather simple designs, and an on-site engineer for construction guidance, and a trusted relative sourcing the building materials. We're very happy with this last place, having just spent a month there on vacation (so that's why I've been off-line)....

Build with outdoors in mind - Some of our province neighbors have lovely homes .. but with few outdoor living spaces they're sitting inside hot-boxes watching large TVs, and powering through the electricity with aircon on.

We have a farm and want to see it, so have two huge verandas, one side and front so can move depending on sunshine and breeze. Inside the house we designed open-plan living, with cool tiles on floor throughout. Even though we have an inside kitchen, we prefer to cook and entertain on the verandas .. Even when it's pouring rain, it's dry and comfortable, and really nice to watch from a deck chair with a beer.

- @gsturdee

`
An amazing post as usual, old mate gsturdee!  The information you provide here I'm quite sure will be absolute gold for every house-builder member for years to come. All one can say is many many thanks mate.

As for us, I will just say we agree with all of your ideas completely. As just one example of how closely our respective thoughts align 100% here is the floor plan of the house we exampled at the start of this thread.

Am sure you will like this floor plan. It seems to agree 98% with all you say above, except we agree it really needs much larger covered verandas .. instead of the porch and terrace :-)

4MgPszf.jpg
@coach53

Yes, quite agree, the relatives are optional. While I have quite benefited from my lot, not all have the same experience.

While I'm thinking about security grills, I guess my point was getting at a convenient way to fix boarding across the windows in the event a low pressure systems encroaches, and you have considered that with inward locking shutters. Also I get your point about the security grills being potentially dangerous. To solve two problems at once, you can always put the relatives inside if there's a fire? (Gents please don't mind the irreverent humour).

Really appreciate you encouraging comments.
@PalawOne

Looks very liveable!

The ensuite is a must, and I'm presuming the main living area will be facing that awesome view.

@gsturdee Excellent advice! Sounds like paradise, I have the same thoughts about outdoor space, the importance of drainage and good materials

@coach53 Good points about having a false sense of security in a subdivision. The more I think, the more I want to be less confined by living in one, but in a Barangay somewhere with good views of mountains etc

Looks very liveable!  The ensuite is a must, and I'm presuming the main living area will be facing that awesome view.  - @gsturdee
`
Yes, it does look comfortable mate. We are not sure what we will build on this block yet. The above plan is an idea for an investment venture to improve a family block of land. We don't have any idea of what we want to do with this land, and when, except live on it of course.

Cheers always fella 1f600.svg
@coach53

Yes there is no word in the Swedish lexicon for ‘succinct' which is why we have always made allowances.
Just remember to take a deep breath
`An amazing post as usual, old mate gsturdee!  The information you provide here I'm quite sure will be absolute gold for every house-builder member for years to come. All one can say is many many thanks mate.
As for us, I will just say we agree with all of your ideas completely. As just one example of how closely our respective thoughts align 100% here is the floor plan of the house we exampled at the start of this thread.
Am sure you will like this floor plan. It seems to agree 98% with all you say above, except we agree it really needs much larger covered verandas .. instead of the porch and terrace :-)

4MgPszf.jpg
- @PalawOne
Same as I have thought all the time too   1f923.svg     making all other reached from kitchen or sala.  I have made so in all my drafts, including some DOME house floor plan brainstorming for myself customiced to what I would want to have in a house if building such. ((Except in one of the biger "dream house"  drafts I made a short hallway to reach a CR and one more room, because kitchen and sala got short of space for more doors  :)      Including work from home office space reached like that too,, although since a bunch of years I have had "summer office" outdoor at veranda, when its nice weather including a shelf there with things I need often as paper, pen, stationary phone line extension, something to drink and some "to do things" not in a hurry. But laptop and icecream I bring each time I move there!   :)  My veranda dont have long view but its nice nature and often come wild animals visiting, sometimes just a few meters from my feet even  normalt scared "meat animals"!  I suppouse they feel no hunting allowed at my land - except such as mice and mosquitos    :)
while I have deals with spiders and ants  1f923.svg  I let them be and I even feed ants outside if they are short of food, and they keep flies respectivly snakes away and they follow the deal not being to close to where I lay or sit -except when my mother visit and clear still in use spiderwebs, then the spiders protests some to me by walking closer  :)

@coach53 Good points about having a false sense of security in a subdivision. The more I think, the more I want to be less confined by living in one, but in a Barangay somewhere with good views of mountains etc

- @Filamretire
PalawOne's location have both ocean and (mountain? or at least) hill views,
ocean view too inland some close to mountains, from some hilltops more south where I have put my production businesses.

A problem can be finding calm places WITH good road and electricity grid access, but there are such too. Some very cheap e g 150k pesos per hectare lands in nice nature and far between neighbours in Aborlan, Palawan, Perhaps sold now but some have hard to sell such perfect places!!! It was my favorite before I chosed an other good place suiting better for my businesses.  This in Aborlan is between mountain and along a concreete road leading to "nowhere" and the electric line ends without even a customer where it ends!!!   1f923.svg
I GUESS it depend of interupted plans to connect to a now closed mine. it seem Aborlan have changed policy to being against mines of environment reasons.  OR perhaps someone with power wanted to raise value to his own land there  by adding electricity and good road  :)
There are even very cheap lands along highways!  e g 500k per hectare hilly walking distance to beach.
Spectacular land, PalawOne.

Here's a few pics of the view from our lot.

[ image share timeout ]

@pnwcyclist

Magic!
Thanks gsturdee!
@pnwcyclist
Truly beautiful .. and expect that the long side of the house facing the views will be mostly windows 1f600.svg

And it's a certainty, and very easy to predict, that you and yours will be truly happy living there mate!