19% healthcare tax on retirees in CR

I have been researching the details of retiring in Costa Rica. Recently there have been changes to the Caja or healthcare and retirement program. After March 16, 2022 if you become a resident under the pensionado program you have to pay into the Costa Rican public healthcare program as well as their retirement plan. Whatever you declare and provide proof of pension income to the immigration dept is the amount you are taxed for Caja.
If you make $3000 usd or ($3800 cad) per month or more you will be taxed 19%. That's $570 on $3000. My pension will be about $6000/month Cad less income tax so around $4500 per month. The Caja would take another $1140 per month from my pension.
Maybe I am missing something here? If I buy a house in CR this ensures I will do the 3 month tourist thing and then come back for another 3 months. Perhaps a trip to Panama this winter to see how it compares.
Too bad. It'll scare shit out of many....
When applying as a Pensionado, you would only be required to provide proof of your lifetime, Canadian pension, if it is over US$1000 per month. It is not necessary that you declare any other pension(s).
@kohlerias My only pension starting off will be from work. I will be retiring at 56 or 57 and won't have CPP or OAS for 8-9 years. My initial pension is well beyond this amount and would attract the 19% "tax" that they are bringing in.

The new 22156 law that allows us to bring personal effects and 2 vehicles is only for those becoming pensionados I believe? If I buy a house and do the border run every 3 months I don't think I can bring anything duty and tax free to the new house.
Since this law  is still very new, and there is no history from any person going this route, I think that applying as an investor may be the 'way to go.'

"Real Estate/Vehicles – Investment Amount: $150,000. Under this category, you will qualify if you purchase real estate and/or vehicles for at least $150,000 USD. Regardless of whether it is a condo, a lot, a home, or farmland, cars, motorcycles, boats as long as you invest the required amount, you will then qualify.

This option is available for people who invest, meaning actually pay, at least $150,000 in a property, various properties, vehicles, or vehicles and properties. You can add up various investments to reach the minimum $150,000.
        If you purchase for example a house, a condo, or a lot, then the deed of the purchase should reflect a purchase price of $150,000. Additionally, documents such as the certificate from the Municipality must reflect the true value of the property, which must be of at least $150,000.
        If the lot is below the expected $150,000, however, you did build a house on it, then the true value of the property must be updated at the Municipality. Again, the true value registered at the Municipality must be of at least $150,000. This must be done once the construction of the house concludes.
        If the property and/or vehicles are purchased through a corporation, additional documents would apply. The principal applicant must own shares worth at least $150,000 USD to qualify.
        Once engaged to assist we would need to check the paperwork to make sure that the purchase or purchases were properly set up to qualify for Investor.

Good luck...
Thanks
Under the current system what does the govt use as an income amount for an investor buying a house to determine their Caja payment?

When we signed up for Caja as an Inversionista, I was asked to provide an income versus expense statement.  Every time we renew our residency I am expected to go to my local Ebais and reregister.  Sometimes it is a simple process and other times I have to fill out a five page application and a new income versus expense statement.  As a Canadian I use my guaranteed income, a LIF, Canada pension plan, and old age security.  I also deregister a portion of as RRSP but that is discretionary so I do not put anything to do with that on my income versus expense sheet!   We currently pay 27,850 colones a month to Caja for the two of us.

The info on the the website here may help. Previously, as an Investor, the monthly  premium was US$450+  last I heard, if under 55, however the exact amount would vary with the investment made so it wasn't  published.

The rate now is, supposedly, approx. double, according to the information posted on the website.

Unfortunately, one would not be told what their premium will actually be, until the end of the process.

Years ago a young Canadian military couple applied as Pensiondos and was required to pay over US$700 per month. Since the CAJA couldn't be counted on, for a rapid response, they also had to pay for private insurance... They did return to Canada.
Thanks for the info. I don't see this working out well for me. I will be about 57 when I retire with a pension around $72,000. It would be 8 years until my CPP and OAS kick in for me to use that as my minimum lifetime amount. Even if this goes back to the old way I would be paying $7700/year to the CR medical plan. If it stays the way it is that's about $13,500 per year to the CR govt.
It makes more sense to buy something and leave the country every 3 months. Would have been nice to be able to bring a couple of vehicles down duty free.

CR government is getting greedy .... I'll stick to the 3 month tourist option.

From 2017 onward I was previously registered with CAJA ( as a pensionado ) and paid about 27,500 colones per month.  During the covid pandemic I was told I did not have to pay the monthly sum for X months.  In the fifth month from the pause in payments I attempted to pay the bank again but learned I had been disenrolled since THEY said I had not paid for over six months.  In late 2021 I was required to re-register with CAJA and this time CAJA refused to off-set my monthly living expenses.  Thus I am now paying 123,400 monthly to CAJA.  Despite my arguments with the local office I have gotten nowhere in my attempt to off-set my expenses.  I've been told I must go downtown to re-argue my case but not to expect anything to change.

@sporto505 It sounds like the CR govt has moved to charging an income tax to pensioners but calling it the Caja. I think buying a house in Mexico is a better option. If I become a PR of Mexico I only pay 15% income tax in Canada. Zero taxes or health taxes in Mexico. Live in Mexico then rent out my home there Jan-Feb-Mar and rent something in CR for the best 3 months of weather. Watching the weather app most days it looks like mid April to Dec is rainy season in CR. I plan to travel a lot in retirement, never really spending more than 2-3 months anywhere so it makes more sense to have a base of operations in a cheaper country with a hot rental market in the winter. Thinking about Tulum or Puerto Vallarta. I would only be there April/May and Nov/Dec.

@Blackwatch I paid to obtain the residency in CR, will receive caja in December but regret now. Seriously thinking  of Mexico

Apparently the govt rescinded this just for the pensionado group. You only pay into the healthcare portion and not the pension program. I can't find anything on google news searches. found out from this youtuber...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIv54JcY68E

Anyone hear any details?

@Blackwatch ive just arranged CAJA. ~$100 based on $1150 pension income. It looks like they did.

$100 isn't a lot but it's still almost 10% of your income. Perhaps most people have a small pension they use to qualify and then do not report other sources of income to the govt.

@Blackwatch

this is one reason that the government is not thinking what is best for the expats

the best would be for the government to let expats that out health insurance with the government owned insurance co INS

that way you have choice of private hospitals which have no wait list like the caja

@Blackwatch $100 is less than I was paying for US Medicare.

@Blackwatch

id like to hear how it went for you.

[link moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Blackwatch it's lie. This law doesn't exist in practice. They charge us all portions of CAJA. This is typical "pura vida".

@Blackwatch

I had to go with rentista. My pension is really low. Corporation oroperty not an investment option

I took $ out of CDs to put $60,000 in BCR.

$350./ mo. for caja. I was floored. Immigration rule to show $2500/mo.

What do I click to get on forum? Reply was all I saw.

I also went with Rentista.  It was 2019 when I was finally granted Residency via the Rentista program.  I took a lawyer with me when it was time to register for the caja (after getting the 'Resolucion' document saying that my Residency had been approved.) ...  the lawyer helped me to 'Opt-Out' of the 'pension' portion of the Caja program... you don't have to join their pension program... they just don't tell you that... most of us will or are, already, getting a pension from our previous lives.  It saved me around $200 a month.  My caja payment is 127,500 colones a month... which is currently around $255 dollars, US, per month.

After first two years of Rentista; I had to renew (good for another 2 years).  It involved showing another bank letter saying I had $60K in the bank... and proof (receipts) that I had paid the caja everymonth for the previous 2 years; as well as receipt that I paid myself $30K per year ($2500 per month) for those first two years.  Actually... i had all of those receipts 'ready' at the renewal appointment (I did it at the Banco de CR)... but all they asked for was the bank letter. ??   After my 3rd full year, I was allowed to apply for Permanent Residency... it requires no proof of income whatsoever. You write a letter saying 'why' you want to be a resident here, pay $200 fee... fill out application... and then wait.   I recommend going to a Migracion Office in a smaller city, like Quesada.  Little to no lines, etc.

That's my two cents.

@rainagain

Thanks for that.

I'll go to caja and try to opt out of pensión

Last week, a friend and his attorney went to a CAJA office in Heredia to see about opting out of part of the monthly CAJA charges. It turns out that there are actually three coverages for which you may be paying.  The first is general health care; the second is maternity care; and the third is the old age pension which most expats will never be eligible to collect.

Since Jim and his wife have aged out of creating a family, and since they will never benefit from the old age pension, their monthly premium was reduced from around $300 per month to around $100.

!Muy bien!

@daveandmarcia You have an excellent laywer. The one I am using, told me this is impossible...time to change him.

Wow!!   So even though this thread started in 2022... it lived on long enough to deliver some good news to a few people... and I'm sure there are a lot of people who can/will use it.  Thanks all. 

@daveandmarcia

Thanks for the info.

I just signed up for caja and it's over the top.$350/mo. And I signed up Mar25 and paid that for a week.

I had to ho with rentista so the on paper 2500 is what it's based on.

@kohlerias

I couldn't use my property as investment cuz it's a corporation. The law 20 yrs. ago. 5 hct.

@Henrych ok, I sent a lawyer to CAJA paying her for the attempt to release me of this maternity and tico pension thing. She came back with the same nonsense that I have to pay, period, because my  reported income is $1125..., so I pay $125 every month for nothing since their CAJA is useless. I dont k ow how these guys did it but this pura vida thing is......