Menu
Expat.com

Lessons I've learnt since buying in Bulgaria

Last activity 26 August 2024 by janemulberry

kaththomas700

Thank you for this information wtruckyboy

gwynj

@Dave.Mitch

My understanding is that they are separate permanent residence permits (i.e. the national one and the EU one), so it should not be a conversion/exchange. But you need your Bulgarian permanent one (which you have) first.

I too have an Article 50 PR, but I have not yet ventured back to the immigration office to see if I can get one of these mythical EU cards. :-)

It has been a few years since Brexit, so I'm hoping there are a few Brits who already have, or will soon get, these EU cards. And they'll tell us how they did it.

In any case, I'm not overly worried. In particular, the EU Directive related to "third-country nationals" (such as us) is Council Directive 2003/109/EC. And this is in the process of being "recast" to ensure this permit will be available throughout the EU on a more consistent basis.

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/proposal-directive-european-parliament-and-council-status-third-country-nationals-long-term_en

Koprivet

@kaththomas2017

Hello,

i read your message and was wondering who you used in the end to refurbish your house.  I agree,  Bulgarian builders are scarce and don’t really do a great job.  Also, they tend to think you are loaded with money.

If you have any recommendations on house contractors, please let me know.  I am glad you have found your nice house with a garden,  by the way.

Best wishes,

Dilys

gwynj

Here's the main lesson I've learnt since buying in Bulgaria...

We enjoy a wonderful quality of life here, and it would be FAR beyond our means to replicate it elsewhere!

We only popped over to Plovdiv for a few days to get our Brexit-beating residence permits, and we had no intention of living here. Changing our minds on that first visit, and immediately buying a small flat in downtown Plovdiv, was one of our best ever decisions.

There are negatives, of course. But far more positives. Recently (July 2024), Sofia was judged (by Forbes, no less) the best city in Europe to retire to, so folks are starting to catch on to the many pluses of living in Bulgaria.

janemulberry

@Koprivet

Dilys, local builders vary from excellent to terrible! We've experienced both. Thankfully the terrible one was an old local guy and not expensive. Some of what he did was good enough to be worth the spend, so I didn't feel ripped off.

Is your house in the same area as Kath's? If not, your neighbours, or the local mayor's office, might be the best way to find builders.

Judith Green

@janemulberry Was your local builder from Krasen?

janemulberry

The best team, the roofers, who also do general renovation work, were some Turkish guys from Toshevo. I believe they need to be booked well in advance as they are very busy.

The old guy who didn't do the best work but mostly good enough was from a nearby village, I think perhaps a pity referral on the part of my neighbours to help him earn some extra cash.

The builder who did the kitchen and bathroom renovations did mostly excellent work but worked veeeeeeery slooooooooowly. He's from a different nearby village.

When I need more work done I will probably go straight to getting a quote from the Toshevo guys. I don't have their contact details, but can ask my neighbour. Or if you know anyone at the Krasen kmetsvo, it was Christina in the office there who recommended them.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles