Menu
Expat.com

Visas To Enter Vietnam

Last activity 17 October 2024 by giosamsung2012

giosamsung2012
@giosamsung2012Are you aware that you can get a VOA (visa on arrival) at the Moc Bai/Bavet crossing? -@Aidan in HCMC

Thank you for your reply. I am aware that VOA exists but never thought of using it because I need to spend more time at the border and I don't speak Cambodian. There is possibly also other factor like "coffee money" compounded which can make things go wrong.

I don't want to take any chance as the visa-run day would be my last day stay on Vietnam visa. I only get one shot at this. If anyone has a better approach please share.

Doesn't VOA application form ask for the "address in Cambodia during visit"?

Aidan in HCMC
@giosamsung2012Are you aware that you can get a VOA (visa on arrival) at the Moc Bai/Bavet crossing? -@Aidan in HCMC

Thank you for your reply. I am aware that VOA exists but never thought of using it because I need to spend more time at the border and I don't speak Cambodian.

Not sure what you mean about having to spend more time at the border. Reports are that the Cambodian border officers speak English.

There is possibly also other factor like "coffee money" compounded which can make things go wrong.

100K-200K VND is plenty of coffee money (~$6.00-$12.00 CDN) to get you through that.

I don't want to take any chance as the visa-run day would be my last day stay on Vietnam visa. I only get one shot at this. If anyone has a better approach please share.

Do your run 1 or 2 days before the final validity date.

Doesn't VOA application form ask for the "address in Cambodia during visit"? -@giosamsung2012

No, it does not.

I assume you've not yet received your new Vietnam eVisa allowing you to "...make a U-turn to Vietnam on the same day."

Members are now reporting blanket denials to applications submitted through the immigration web portal while they are still in Vietnam.

giosamsung2012
@giosamsung2012Are you aware that you can get a VOA (visa on arrival) at the Moc Bai/Bavet crossing? -@Aidan in HCMCThank you for your reply. I am aware that VOA exists but never thought of using it because I need to spend more time at the border and I don't speak Cambodian.Not sure what you mean about having to spend more time at the border. Reports are that the Cambodian border officers speak English.There is possibly also other factor like "coffee money" compounded which can make things go wrong.100K-200K VND is plenty of coffee money (~$6.00-$12.00 CDN) to get you through that.I don't want to take any chance as the visa-run day would be my last day stay on Vietnam visa. I only get one shot at this. If anyone has a better approach please share.Do your run 1 or 2 days before the final validity date.Doesn't VOA application form ask for the "address in Cambodia during visit"? -@giosamsung2012No, it does not.I assume you've not yet received your new Vietnam eVisa allowing you to "...make a U-turn to Vietnam on the same day."Members are now reporting blanket denials to applications submitted through the immigration web portal while they are still in Vietnam. -@Aidan in HCMC

Thank you for your information.

It simply means time saving, a visa already in my pocket as opposed to starting a process of applying for visa.

I got lost in a new place many times so it feels much better to know local language to obtain info about where to go and what to do,

About coffee money, don't get me wrong, it was not the amount, it was something I am not comfortable with doing.

As for denial of visa application while still in Vietnam, (i was looking for members reporting about this issue, could you please point me to where to look) Upon this new info I may need to revise my stay in Vietnam.

No I have not received the VietNam evisa for making the U-turn to Vietnam. You mentioned to do visa -run on the 1 or 2 final day, would you send the Vietnam evisa application in the early morning of the final day? In that case you would have to stay in Cambodia for another 3 days till you receive the VN evisa.

Would the process be different with the help of an agent? I am looking to make a U-turn right away without spending time in Cambodia, wonder if that possible.

Aidan in HCMC
@Aidan in HCMC Thank you for your information.It simply means time saving, a visa already in my pocket as opposed to starting a process of applying for visa.I got lost in a new place many times so it feels much better to know local language to obtain info about where to go and what to do,

It's actually a purchase, not an application per se. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. The officers will speak English, and you won't venture far from the border gate unless you want to. Knowing how to speak Khmer won't be necessary.

About coffee money, don't get me wrong, it was not the amount, it was something I am not comfortable with doing.

It's not mandatory, and will not even be asked for. From discussions with expats who've done literally dozens upon dozens of border runs, simply folding a 100K note inside their passport will be considered by the officer as being a tip. It will certainly be appreciated, and will ensure prompt service. Add a big smile on top of that and you're good to go.

As for denial of visa application while still in Vietnam, (i was looking for members reporting about this issue, could you please point me to where to look) Upon this new info I may need to revise my stay in Vietnam.

Read about 8 or 10 short posts, starting here. (post #348)

No I have not received the VietNam evisa for making the U-turn to Vietnam. You mentioned to do visa -run on the 1 or 2 final day, would you send the Vietnam evisa application in the early morning of the final day?

In order to do a turn-around one day border run by yourself, you must be in possession of your new eVisa permitting reentry to VN. However, as stated by members in this very thread, without the assistance of a local and trusted Vietnam visa agent, submitting an application yourself from within Vietnam will likely result in the application being denied. The reason for the denial will be given as : "Application status: Amending - Denied Reason: Evisa is issued for foreigners who are currently abroad, wishing to enter into Viet Nam not foreigners who are currently temporary resident in Viet Nam"

Further, as stated on the official NATIONAL WEB PORTAL ON IMMIGRATION

- Conditions for being granted e-visa: Outside Vietnam foreigners.

In that case you would have to stay in Cambodia for another 3 days till you receive the VN evisa.

Three days, at a minimum. It would do you well to read a recent thread started by member Perseus, titled "Understanding e-Visa Runs".

Would the process be different with the help of an agent? I am looking to make a U-turn right away without spending time in Cambodia, wonder if that possible. -@giosamsung2012

Yes, and yes. See your post, #357, here. I'd suggest you send the PM you alluded to soon to avoid any delays. It will also give you plenty of time to verify/confirm everything with the agent.

I can tell that you're a little stressed about this. Don't be. We'll help you through it, so feel free to ask any additional questions you might have. Many hundreds of expats do a border run every month. Do a run two or three times and it'll become almost routine.

giosamsung2012

Thanks Aidan, very informative.

Can you send me an agent contact info?

Does the agent also organize bus route to MocBai?

Aidan in HCMC
Thanks Aidan, very informative.Can you send me an agent contact info? Does the agent also organize bus route to MocBai? -@giosamsung2012

You're very welcome, and happy you found the info useful.

I'll send you a PM now with the name of a long-time member of the forum whose trusted agent has helped many with their visa issues.

Please keep the forum updated on your progress through this. It will be of great benefit to other members, as well as casual readers of the forum.

giosamsung2012

I meant to ask but forgot, if I remember correctly watching youtube or read somewhere saying the coffee money in US dollars was for the Cambodian border officer, however you mentioned the coffee money was like 100K dong which implied it was for Vietnamese border officer. If you don't mind confirming which side the tip was for and at the entry or exit check point or both.

And you also mentioned the Visa on arrival, how is it an advantage compared to applying cambodian evisa online ahead of time? is it the way most people do?

Thank you for your help

OceanBeach92107
I meant to ask but forgot, if I remember correctly watching youtube or read somewhere saying the coffee money in US dollars was for the Cambodian border officer, however you mentioned the coffee money was like 100K dong which implied it was for Vietnamese border officer. If you don't mind confirming which side the tip was for and at the entry or exit check point or both.And you also mentioned the Visa on arrival, how is it an advantage compared to applying cambodian evisa online ahead of time? is it the way most people do?Thank you for your help -@giosamsung2012

I've received your contact request (presumably regarding agent information).

May I respectfully request that you make a decision about your plan before we have PM contact?

I don't provide private counseling on these matters, so I'd like to see that you've made up your mind before I answer your request.

Also, the agents I know only want referrals from me when someone knows what they want.

They don't really have the time or desire to rehash all of the questions you have been asking.

Coffee money is paid to the Vietnamese border guard, with a smile and a thank you.

Virtually everyone does Visa On Arrival when entering Cambodia.

The Cambodia visa on arrival application form doesn't ask for an address in Cambodia; it asks for a DESTINATION.

Write in "Bavet", which is the name of the town on that side of the border.

I don't know any visa agent who will help you with your new Vietnam visa for same day turnaround AND arrange for transportation as a package.

I always highly recommend booking a trustworthy private driver to take you to the border and back from HCMC.

If you feel paralyzed about making the trip across the border and back, you can get the driver to negotiate with one of the many Vietnamese "guides" hanging out at the border.

They can essentially hold your hand as you exit VN, enter and exit Cambodia and return to VN.

They will hand carry your passport through the fastest line and pay the coffee money you give them.

Because they are Vietnamese citizens they can freely cross the border & return with you; no visa required.

A NOTE TO THE CASUAL READER:

If you are considering "moving" to Vietnam and living here 3 months at a time and doing border runs to get a new visa, you are going to need to become comfortable with this process.

You'll also need to think carefully about where you want to live, because the process can be fairly easy or quite difficult depending on where you choose to live.

If you are a person who needs to wait until the last minute before making a decision whether to stay or go somewhere else, then you will have a much more difficult time compared to the person who can enter Vietnam and immediately make plans with an agent for their next 3-month visa.

That's the most foolproof way I know to accomplish living here on 90-day visas.

giosamsung2012
I meant to ask but forgot, if I remember correctly watching youtube or read somewhere saying the coffee money in US dollars was for the Cambodian border officer, however you mentioned the coffee money was like 100K dong which implied it was for Vietnamese border officer. If you don't mind confirming which side the tip was for and at the entry or exit check point or both.And you also mentioned the Visa on arrival, how is it an advantage compared to applying cambodian evisa online ahead of time? is it the way most people do?Thank you for your help -@giosamsung2012I've received your contact request (presumably regarding agent information).May I respectfully request that you make a decision about your plan before we have PM contact?I don't provide private counseling on these matters, so I'd like to see that you've made up your mind before I answer your request. Also, the agents I know only want referrals from me when someone knows what they want. They don't really have the time or desire to rehash all of the questions you have been asking.Coffee money is paid to the Vietnamese border guard, with a smile and a thank you. Virtually everyone does Visa On Arrival when entering Cambodia.The Cambodia visa on arrival application form doesn't ask for an address in Cambodia; it asks for a DESTINATION.Write in "Bavet", which is the name of the town on that side of the border. I don't know any visa agent who will help you with your new Vietnam visa for same day turnaround AND arrange for transportation as a package. I always highly recommend booking a trustworthy private driver to take you to the border and back from HCMC.If you feel paralyzed about making the trip across the border and back, you can get the driver to negotiate with one of the many Vietnamese "guides" hanging out at the border. They can essentially hold your hand as you exit VN, enter and exit Cambodia and return to VN.They will hand carry your passport through the fastest line and pay the coffee money you give them.Because they are Vietnamese citizens they can freely cross the border & return with you; no visa required.A NOTE TO THE CASUAL READER:If you are considering "moving" to Vietnam and living here 3 months at a time and doing border runs to get a new visa, you are going to need to become comfortable with this process. You'll also need to think carefully about where you want to live, because the process can be fairly easy or quite difficult depending on where you choose to live. If you are a person who needs to wait until the last minute before making a decision whether to stay or go somewhere else, then you will have a much more difficult time compared to the person who can enter Vietnam and immediately make plans with an agent for their next 3-month visa.That's the most foolproof way I know to accomplish living here on 90-day visas. -@OceanBeach92107

Thanks for laying it all out, your post had answered many of my questions, just a couple things to be confirmed:

1. the Vietnam evisa will get approved before the border run to MocBai so there will be no time spent on the Cambodia side (same day turnaround)
  2. Let's say my current visa is expired on Jan 31st, 2025, what would be the date to do the border run that you/agent suggests? If for example the border run date is Jan 30th, then the time window requested for the next Vietnam visa would be Jan 30th, 2025 to Apr 29th,2025. (correct me if I am wrong). Noted there are 2 days overlapped between the current visa and the next visa.
  3. Coffee money for Vietnamese border guard, is it on exiting from Vietnam or on re-entering Vietnam? (I assume there is no need to bring US dollars for border run)

I will decide on the plan before getting the agent contact info from you.

Much appreciated

Edit: may need US dollars to pay for Cambodian visa, also can pay with Vietnamese dong. (info from Aidan)

OceanBeach92107
...just a couple things to be confirmed:the Vietnam evisa will get approved before the border run to MocBai so there will be no time spent on the Cambodia side (same day turnaround)

That is always the plan when you book well in advance of your current visa expiration date.

The date for your new re-entry visa will be the same as your current visa expiration date.

You must exit Vietnam no later than 23:59 (PM) on your visa expiration date.

Let's say my current visa is expired on Jan 31st, 2025, what would be the date to do the border run that you/agent suggests?

That same date, January 31st.

In order to do a "same day" visa run, the new visa would need to have that same date (January 31st) as the start date.

If for example the border run date is Jan 30th, then the time window requested for the next Vietnam visa would be Jan 30th, 2025 to Apr 29th,2025. (correct me if I am wrong). Noted there are 2 days overlapped between the current visa and the next visa.

To quote my good friend and seasoned veteran of countless visa border runs, @GoodOlBoy:

OFFS!!! 😉😉

I've read and re-read all of your posts on this subject and it's clear that you want to continue with the hypothetical questions that might or might not be possible.

I'm tempted to not refer you to my agent friend because I honestly believe that even with all the feedback you've received here in the forum, you are simply going to start afresh and all of the same questions over again, just to be sure... 😵‍💫

Please stop trying to come up with alternative scenarios.

Do your border run on the expiration date of your current visa and reenter on the same day.

The agent will get you the maximum 90 days without you needing to do separate calculations.

Otherwise, you should leave the country whenever you want and apply for your new visa once you are in the other country and wait there for anywhere between 3 and 5 days to receive your approval.

Coffee money for Vietnamese border guard, is it on exiting from Vietnam or on re-entering Vietnam?

That depends.

Do you want to use the express lane when re-entering Vietnam or do you want to stand in line behind the tour bus operators having multiple passports processed?

If you don't want to wait, choose the VIP line and have the coffee money protruding from your passport, so the officer can quickly see you are paying for the privilege to move to the express lane.

(I assume there is no need to bring US dollars for border run) @giosamsung2012

Dollars are always preferred but you can use new VNĐ bills to enter Cambodia as well as for coffee money

I really do wish you luck because I think you're going to need it unless you come to a firm decision as to when you want to leave the country and re-enter.

O.B.

Aidan in HCMC

@giosamsung2012

I just wanted to add to member OceanBeach92107 's post.

Let's say my current visa is expired on Jan 31st, 2025, what would be the date to do the border run that you/agent suggests?

I would suggest that you do your border run at least 1 day prior to your current eVisa expiration date, holding a new eVisa for that date. Yes, you will lose a day off of your "90 day" stay. The reason I suggest this is because in the event that something/anything (bus/taxi trouble, accident, illness, whatever...) goes awry and you find yourself in an over-stay situation, even by 1 day, you will have no option but to depart Vietnam via air after paying your overstay fine at an int'l air crossing. This has been reported by multiple members. Land crossings are manned by military personnel, and are mandated to refuse exit to people who have overstayed. Immigration personnel man the int'l air crossings and process the fines and passport exit stamps for overstayers. If me, I'd apply for the new eVisa requesting an entry date one day prior to the current's expiration (or earlier). There is no penalty for exiting Vietnam prior to the expiration of your current eVisa. An overlap of eVisa validity/expiration dates provides some flexibility.

It is very important to remember that the border gates between Moc Bai and Bavet are open only from 8:00AM to 8:00PM. (365 days)

If for example the border run date is Jan 30th, then the time window requested for the next Vietnam visa would be Jan 30th, 2025 to Apr 29th,2025. (correct me if I am wrong). Noted there are 2 days overlapped between the current visa and the next visa.

If the intended turnaround border run date is Jan 30th, then yes, the "Valid from" date of your new eVisa must be Jan 30th.

A Vietnam "90 day" eVisa with a "Valid from" date of Jan 30th will have an "Until" date of Apr 28th, not the 29th. Immigration counts Jan 30th as day 1. Jan 31st would be day 2.

A handy date calculator can be found here.

You must select "Include end date in calculation (1 day is added)". This is how immigration counts a visitor's length of stay.

Hope this helps.

edit: our quote function bites!

giosamsung2012
...just a couple things to be confirmed:the Vietnam evisa will get approved before the border run to MocBai so there will be no time spent on the Cambodia side (same day turnaround)That is always the plan when you book well in advance of your current visa expiration date.The date for your new re-entry visa will be the same as your current visa expiration date.You must exit Vietnam no later than 23:59 (PM) on your visa expiration date.Let's say my current visa is expired on Jan 31st, 2025, what would be the date to do the border run that you/agent suggests? That same date, January 31st.In order to do a "same day" visa run, the new visa would need to have that same date (January 31st) as the start date.If for example the border run date is Jan 30th, then the time window requested for the next Vietnam visa would be Jan 30th, 2025 to Apr 29th,2025. (correct me if I am wrong). Noted there are 2 days overlapped between the current visa and the next visa.To quote my good friend and seasoned veteran of countless visa border runs, @GoodOlBoy:OFFS!!! 😉😉I've read and re-read all of your posts on this subject and it's clear that you want to continue with the hypothetical questions that might or might not be possible.I'm tempted to not refer you to my agent friend because I honestly believe that even with all the feedback you've received here in the forum, you are simply going to start afresh and all of the same questions over again, just to be sure... 😵‍💫Please stop trying to come up with alternative scenarios.Do your border run on the expiration date of your current visa and reenter on the same day.The agent will get you the maximum 90 days without you needing to do separate calculations.Otherwise, you should leave the country whenever you want and apply for your new visa once you are in the other country and wait there for anywhere between 3 and 5 days to receive your approval.Coffee money for Vietnamese border guard, is it on exiting from Vietnam or on re-entering Vietnam? That depends.Do you want to use the express lane when re-entering Vietnam or do you want to stand in line behind the tour bus operators having multiple passports processed?If you don't want to wait, choose the VIP line and have the coffee money protruding from your passport, so the officer can quickly see you are paying for the privilege to move to the express lane.(I assume there is no need to bring US dollars for border run) @giosamsung2012Dollars are always preferred but you can use new VNĐ bills to enter Cambodia as well as for coffee money I really do wish you luck because I think you're going to need it unless you come to a firm decision as to when you want to leave the country and re-enter. O.B. -@OceanBeach92107

Wow, those are the exact answers that I have been looking for, thank you for that. I wish I knew them early on to not have asked those hypothetical questions.

I have not set foot on Vietnam yet until Nov therefore border run would be in Feb2025, so I still have plenty of time to plan and decide.I am fine without the said agent I am here to seek answers to questions and might have offended someone in the process, my sincere apology. Peace

giosamsung2012
@giosamsung2012I just wanted to add to member OceanBeach92107 's post............................................................................ If me, I'd apply for the new eVisa requesting an entry date one day prior to the current's expiration (or earlier). There is no penalty for exiting Vietnam prior to the expiration of your current eVisa. An overlap of eVisa validity/expiration dates provides some flexibility...........................................................................................................................! -@Aidan in HCMC

@Aidan As always you provide a wealth of information

This was the "hypothetical" question I raised in the forum about 1 year ago and recently few months ago but did not get a satisfactory answer.

Now I am at it again, please tune out if this repeated discussion annoys you.

I completely agree with you more days overlap would give you more flexibility in planning the border run, however it might risk having the visa application being denied. It seems that 1 day overlap is forgivable. Of course don't take words from me who has not done any border run before, please chime in if anyone has tried 2,3 or 5 days overlap. I think the agent would be able to know/do this but what do I know.

Aidan in HCMC
I have not set foot on Vietnam yet until Nov therefore border run would be in Feb2025, so I still have plenty of time to plan and decide.

Your profile is showing you as currently living in Vietnam. You should change that as member responses to your questions will be based on believing you are in country.

...I completely agree with you more days overlap would give you more flexibility in planning the border run, however it might risk having the visa application being denied. It seems that 1 day overlap is forgivable. Of course don't take words from me who has not done any border run before, please chime in if anyone has tried 2,3 or 5 days overlap. I think the agent would be able to know/do this but what do I know. -@giosamsung2012

Once you have cleared customs and are in Vietnam, you can apply for a new eVisa with overlapping dates of any duration. There is no penalty or restriction on foreigners leaving VN prior to their eVisa's expiration to, for example, spend a few days in a neighbouring country and then return to VN (which would require a new eVisa if the current one is a single-entry). You can overlap for a month or two if you wish. The requirement to submit the application from outside VN stands, so using the services of an agent to secure the new eVisa is necessary if you wish to start the application in country.

I caution you against trying what is known as "visa stacking". Since you've not yet arrived in VN and will be submitting your application from outside the country, it is possible for you to now apply for and receive an eVisa valid from Nov to Feb. Once received, you could then apply for another eVisa running from Feb to May. Don't do this! Though no longer viewable on the official immigration website, their faq page stated clearly that upon issuance of a new eVisa the first eVisa, which if it has not been activated by clearing customs/immigration at a border crossing, would be rendered invalid. The faq page stated, "The previous e-Visa application will be cancelled once the new e-Visa is issued". This would result in your holding two eVisas, only one of which would still be valid.

Aidan in HCMC
...I have not set foot on Vietnam yet until Nov therefore border run would be in Feb2025, so I still have plenty of time to plan and decide...-@giosamsung2012

Have you already applied for and received your eVisa to visit in Nov?

If not, I suggest you start that now.

I'd also suggest that you not purchase your airline ticket before receiving the approved eVisa.

giosamsung2012
You should change that as member responses to your questions will be based on believing you are in country....I completely agree with you more days overlap would give you more flexibility in planning the border run, however it might risk having the visa application being denied. It seems that 1 day overlap is forgivable. Of course don't take words from me who has not done any border run before, please chime in if anyone has tried 2,3 or 5 days overlap. I think the agent would be able to know/do this but what do I know. -@giosamsung2012Once you have cleared customs and are in Vietnam, you can apply for a new eVisa with overlapping dates of any duration. There is no penalty or restriction on foreigners leaving VN prior to their eVisa's expiration to, for example, spend a few days in a neighbouring country and then return to VN (which would require a new eVisa if the current one is a single-entry). You can overlap for a month or two if you wish. The requirement to submit the application from outside VN stands, so using the services of an agent to secure the new eVisa is necessary if you wish to start the application in country.I caution you against trying what is known as "visa stacking". Since you've not yet arrived in VN and will be submitting your application from outside the country, it is possible for you to now apply for and receive an eVisa valid from Nov to Feb. Once received, you could then apply for another eVisa running from Feb to May. Don't do this! Though no longer viewable on the official immigration website, their faq page stated clearly that upon issuance of a new eVisa the first eVisa, which if it has not been activated by clearing customs/immigration at a border crossing, would be rendered invalid. The faq page stated, "The previous e-Visa application will be cancelled once the new e-Visa is issued". This would result in your holding two eVisas, only one of which would still be valid. -@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks a million for your insight and advice.

I did not know my profile put me in Vietnam, that is probably why O.B. took a hard line on me as only asking hypothetical questions but no decision made, it makes sense now.

I already secured a VN evisa and a plane ticket 4 months ago for the trip to VN in Nov.

My guess about overlapping duration was completely wrong, knowing now that it is allowed makes planning a tad easier..

Also nice to know that the new visa invalidates the previous one.

I am all set for now, thanks again for your enormous help in this forum

Cheers

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

All of Vietnam's guide articles