Census / népszámlálás

Hi everyone,

Is there someone who can explain what the current Hungarian census/népszámlálás means for expats?

More precisely, I'm renting out my apartment to 3 Hungarians.

Both I and my mother (foreign citizens) are registered at that address, while the tenants are still registered at their previous addresses.

The 3 of them already provided their information for census at their parents' addresses.

I'd like to know who should be registered at my address for this Census?

The tenants (who really live there) or my mother and I (who are officially registered at that address with lakcimkartyas)?

What to do now that they have already done the census formalities at their old addresses?

Are there any consequences if I do nothing more about it?

Thank you

Hi everyone,
Is there someone who can explain what the current Hungarian census/népszámlálás means for expats?
Both I and my mother (foreign citizens) are registered at that address, while the tenants are still registered at their previous addresses.
The 3 of them already provided their information for census at their parents' addresses.
The tenants (who really live there) or my mother and I (who are officially registered at that address with lakcimkartyas)?
What to do now that they have already done the census formalities at their old addresses?

Thank you
-@markons

It's a good question.  We've got the same letter.  I am not an expert, but if you are registered there, you officially live there.  You can just agree with them by following your documentation!  And the tenants can sort themselves out!  It's their individual responsibility. 

In other countries, census involvement is mandatory and all the questions have to be answered.  Not answering usually incurs a penalty but it's minor.  Not sending in the form is worse than answering semi-nonsense.

In my own country, people write silly answers - like religion:  Jedi Knight or Witch.   When there are reports on TV about the results, usually they say how many Jedi Knights, Witches etc there are.   

When there are reports on TV about the results, usually they say how many Jedi Knights, Witches etc there are. 
-@fluffy2560

So how many?😀

Hi everyone,

Thank you
-@markons

I'd say once you're registered to the address, you can use it as your residence address even though you live elsewhere and the tenants can also use their official residence address at their old places. I don't think it's that much important, I can't imagine who would actually check all the address data one by one and whether they fit with real people residing there. Censuses are more about statistics on age, education, number of kids, religion, nationality etc

When there are reports on TV about the results, usually they say how many Jedi Knights, Witches etc there are.
-@fluffy2560
So how many?😀
-@Bian_ca6661

For Jedi, quite a lot - hundreds if not thousands.  In the 2000 census, a tad under 400K.   

Witches are quite popular - 85,000 approximately.   My ex-wife dabbled with Wicca.  It wasn't the only reason I called her a witch.

Entering non-mainstream religions might be a kind of protest I suppose.

I'd say once you're registered to the address, you can use it as your residence address even though you live elsewhere and the tenants can also use their official residence address at their old places. I don't think it's that much important, I can't imagine who would actually check all the address data one by one and whether they fit with real people residing there. Censuses are more about statistics on age, education, number of kids, religion, nationality etc
-@Bian_ca6661

Address card actually does make a difference in some ways. 

In our village, the non-resident land tax is tripled (3x) for ordinary non-holiday housing. 

Unless there is some other reason, it makes sense to be registered where you actually are spending all your time, and therefore pay normal (1x) land tax.

I don't know about Hungary but I know from censuses in other places, you have to include anyone who is in the place when you fill in the form. Even if they are just visiting from elsewhere.  They shouldn't care about residence status or much else, just how many are there, ages etc.  It's hard to say if they would - in Hungary - use the information against you.

I can't remember when I last did a Census, they have pretty much all the data already in Austria. They do send out some surveys from time to time. Nothing like every 10 years in the UK.

I can't remember when I last did a Census, they have pretty much all the data already in Austria. They do send out some surveys from time to time. Nothing like every 10 years in the UK.
-@SimCityAT

UK doesn't have (yay!) things like ID cards or residential registration, so that's why they ask about people's details.  People there are of course free to move anywhere and not tell anyone (except register to pay local tax at the town hall or whatever).   If they are employed, the tax office knows where they are anyway.   

In Hungary, they have ID cards but they also have "address cards".  It's a plastic laminated card.  Places like banks like to see it.   These seem absolutely pointless to me - the details are available through the ID card or DL or passport system anyway.  And lots of people don't live at the addresses listed anyway so semi-valueless.   They just don't bother changing them from their parents house until the parents die.

I had a weird experience in Romania once.  Someone asked me why my address was not in my passport?  WTF?  Apparently they have their addresses in their passports but never found anyone to confirm that.

-@Bian_ca6661

Address card actually does make a difference in some ways.

In our village, the non-resident land tax is tripled (3x) for ordinary non-holiday housing.

Unless there is some other reason, it makes sense to be registered where you actually are spending all your time, and therefore pay normal (1x) land tax.

I don't know about Hungary but I know from censuses in other places, you have to include anyone who is in the place when you fill in the form. Even if they are just visiting from elsewhere. They shouldn't care about residence status or much else, just how many are there, ages etc. It's hard to say if they would - in Hungary - use the information against you.
-@fluffy2560

You're probably right. I guess it's always better to have all information up to date especially when living abroad. We actually didn't provide the address in our census, only people in household and the age range.

You're probably right. I guess it's always better to have all information up to date especially when living abroad. We actually didn't provide the address in our census, only people in household and the age range.
-@Bian_ca6661

They know where we are.  The letter is customised with a code to include for filling in the form. 

They didn't send the letter addressed to me or Mrs Fluffy, it was just like "The Occupier".

It would be easy for them to collate details on the people.  I'm very suspicious of person registration systems and the ability to cross reference datasets.

If the Russians invaded, all the data would be laid out for them.

-@SimCityAT

UK doesn't have (yay!) things like ID cards or residential registration, so that's why they ask about people's details. People there are of course free to move anywhere and not tell anyone (except register to pay local tax at the town hall or whatever).  If they are employed, the tax office knows where they are anyway. 

In Hungary, they have ID cards but they also have "address cards". It's a plastic laminated card. Places like banks like to see it.  These seem absolutely pointless to me - the details are available through the ID card or DL or passport system anyway. And lots of people don't live at the addresses listed anyway so semi-valueless.  They just don't bother changing them from their parents house until the parents die.

I had a weird experience in Romania once. Someone asked me why my address was not in my passport? WTF? Apparently they have their addresses in their passports but never found anyone to confirm that.
-@fluffy2560

I don't mind ID cards or registering where you live (Have to do that in 3 days in Austria)

It proved to be very handy when we had to track down a tenant that owed us money.

I don't mind ID cards or registering where you live (Have to do that in 3 days in Austria)
It proved to be very handy when we had to track down a tenant that owed us money.
-@SimCityAT

I can see that it could be useful.

Not really convinced about it here though.  You never know what they might do with the data.  I imagine  the Afghan government destroying their databases as the Taliban approached.  Not sure what they would be doing in Ukraine.

-@Bian_ca6661

They know where we are. The letter is customised with a code to include for filling in the form.

They didn't send the letter addressed to me or Mrs Fluffy, it was just like "The Occupier".

It would be easy for them to collate details on the people. I'm very suspicious of person registration systems and the ability to cross reference datasets.

If the Russians invaded, all the data would be laid out for them.
-@fluffy2560

I meant census back in SK. We didn't provide much personal info, let alone the address. I can imagine especially elders would have (safety) issues with that. It's more anonymous so we also have a Baby Yoda religion all of a sudden 😀 the ID cards are mostly for proving that I'm really who I claim to be, the address is somewhat useless as there's many people from eastern part of country working in our capital in the western part, and although they live in there on weekdays, they still have home back in eastern SK where they come for weekends, holidays etc.

Anyway I tried to find more info about HU census to help our friend here, but I failed.

I meant census back in SK. We didn't provide much personal info, let alone the address. I can imagine especially elders would have (safety) issues with that. It's more anonymous so we also have a Baby Yoda religion all of a sudden 😀 the ID cards are mostly for proving that I'm really who I claim to be, the address is somewhat useless as there's many people from eastern part of country working in our capital in the western part, and although they live in there on weekdays, they still have home back in eastern SK where they come for weekends, holidays etc.

Anyway I tried to find more info about HU census to help our friend here, but I failed.
-@Bian_ca6661

People in the West here will probably be commuting to AT as well. I cannot see people commuting further East.

The ID card doesn't prove anything on its own.   It just proves you have a card. It needs to include other features like biometrics to be a complete "system".  In other words, like mobile phone bank authentication: something you have (the card), something you are (biometrics) and something you know (like a PIN or other secret). Sometimes also where you are.

I think the OP has a solution.   Just fill it in as the official address cards say and don't include the tenants.  It's their problem to declare themselves at their original address and to be included on the census form there.   So long as something is submitted, it works.  Not submitting is more likely to draw attention.

.... I had a weird experience in Romania once. Someone asked me why my address was not in my passport? WTF? Apparently they have their addresses in their passports but never found anyone to confirm that.
-@fluffy2560

I know the answer to this.  The final section of all passports is reserved for the use of the Issuing authority as they see fit.  The Romanians have chosen to use it for "Residence" information (link).

The UK passport has that section where you can write the Next of Kin.

uk_passport_next_of_kin.png

.... I had a weird experience in Romania once. Someone asked me why my address was not in my passport? WTF? Apparently they have their addresses in their passports but never found anyone to confirm that.
-@fluffy2560
I know the answer to this. The final section of all passports is reserved for the use of the Issuing authority as they see fit. The Romanians have chosen to use it for "Residence" information (link).
-@Cynic

Interesting!

Only thing is that Romanian section is for contact information like the British one but it's not the address of the passport holder.

I was asked where MY address was.  Obviously they were uninformed on their own passport format!

The UK passport has that section where you can write the Next of Kin.
uk_passport_next_of_kin.png
-@SimCityAT

That's an old design.  New post-Brexit ones don't have the loop for the chip in it and the back is different.  But the idea is the same.

The ID card doesn't prove anything on its own.  It just proves you have a card. It needs to include other features like biometrics to be a complete "system".
-@fluffy2560

Sure, my ID is like what you described. Also a full frontal face photo and unique serial number is standard. The old style ID was basically just a laminated card with picture, name, address, serial number and "birth number" which is also unique to each person. Monkey could've modified that old type on their printer

-@fluffy2560
I know the answer to this. The final section of all passports is reserved for the use of the Issuing authority as they see fit. The Romanians have chosen to use it for "Residence" information (link).
-@Cynic

Interesting!

Only thing is that Romanian section is for contact information like the British one but it's not the address of the passport holder.

I was asked where MY address was. Obviously they were uninformed on their own passport format!
-@fluffy2560

In our old passports (before EU) there was one last page designed for writing the address of the passport holder plus emergency contact. It should've been filled with the pencil only 😀 i didn't know anybody who'd fill the page

In our old passports (before EU) there was one last page designed for writing the address of the passport holder plus emergency contact. It should've been filled with the pencil only 😀 i didn't know anybody who'd fill the page
-@Bian_ca6661

Sounds like it's a standard thing to do. I shall have to look at the HU passports we have here as I don't recall seeing that page.

In British passports, if something changes, we're supposed to stick a piece of paper over the top of addresses written at the back.

I've always filled in the back page on my passport.

We are filling out the census now. Guess it needs to be returned within a few days.

Don't want to be late and ruin our,"social credit score"!

We are filling out the census now. Guess it needs to be returned within a few days.
Don't want to be late and ruin our,"social credit score"!
-@Marilyn Tassy

That's a bit unnerving.  It's not China here....yet!  Or is it?

Mrs Fluffy has probably done ours.  The form was on the fridge and has now gone so I assume she's filling it in.

Well, ATM my husband is finally doing the census online.

The deadline to turn it in is in a few days.

You MUST do it or they will send someone around. If they can't contact you then they will be issuing a 100,000 forint fee.

After that, who knows?

They want to know everything.

What size home you have, what your religion is and what your legal status is with immigration.

My husband said they want more info then in the commie days and now they ahve a way to store the info and access it with a few computer strokes....

Well, ATM my husband is finally doing the census online.
The deadline to turn it in is in a few days.
You MUST do it or they will send someone around. If they can't contact you then they will be issuing a 100,000 forint fee.
After that, who knows?
They want to know everything.
What size home you have, what your religion is and what your legal status is with immigration.
My husband said they want more info then in the commie days and now they ahve a way to store the info and access it with a few computer strokes....
-@Marilyn Tassy

It's common to force people to fill in census forms.    Of course, it doesn't mean people will tell the truth.

Here, in Hungary, they might want to know  things they can use against you in the future.   Imagine if Russia invaded, sorry, I mean was invited in by OV who organised a referendum to reject the EU and rejoin the Soviets again.

They'd have a ready made database profiling the population they could cross reference with Facebook/Instagram/TikTok.

They asked allot of personal guestions about health and even what natioanlity you considered yourself to be?

My husband left that one unanswered, it was between American and Hungarian.

I said I related to being Hungarian.

I sort of do since I live here and not in the states.

What a strange questioon. They asked about your sex, male of female, no non bianary was offered!

They aslo asked what other nationality your were part of, I put down Ruysn/Rusin.

I may get red flagged? How many English only spekaers who are American consider themselves a Hungarian/ Ruysn?

They asked if you can dress yourself and how your hearing , eyesight were., how your BP and your mind. I guess as soon as you click in your date of birth they send you down different rabbit holes?

If you leave anything blank then you might expect a knock on the door?

They asked allot of personal guestions about health and even what natioanlity you considered yourself to be?
My husband left that one unanswered, it was between American and Hungarian.
I said I related to being Hungarian.
I sort of do since I live here and not in the states.
What a strange questioon. They asked about your sex, male of female, no non bianary was offered!
They aslo asked what other nationality your were part of, I put down Ruysn/Rusin.
I may get red flagged? How many English only spekaers who are American consider themselves a Hungarian/ Ruysn?
They asked if you can dress yourself and how your hearing , eyesight were., how your BP and your mind. I guess as soon as you click in your date of birth they send you down different rabbit holes?
If you leave anything blank then you might expect a knock on the door?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Even though I live here, I'm certainly not Hungarian. Maybe I can relate to it as there's Mrs F and the kids.

I often joke with the kids when they say they are half-Hungarian, "which half?".  Like draw a line down the middle or across about midriff high or maybe one leg and one arm, half a nose, an ear lobe etc.  Of course, it's stupid.

As my very eldest says, it's a joke and it came out of your mouth, it must be a Dad joke.  As she's moving into increasingly into her 30s, she's become more serious.  I have to up my game.

I can see your hubby's dilemma.  If he was treated badly by the communists, I can imagine it would be very hard to forgive them.  Probably American trumps all.

They are foolish people ignoring the fact that whatever their political ideology, people are going to be LGBT anyway.   You can't stop human nature asserting itself. 

Why do they want to know about health issues?  They can find that out from medical records. Older age is one step closer to getting personal with the Grim Reaper.   Like death by a thousand cuts.  A bit here, a bit there, nibbling away.

We're treating today as a working day as indeed it was for most people.   

Who really knows why they want so much info.

I figured if they really want to know about my health, they can find out for themselves.

Why sell yourself to the system if you don't have to?

Sort of odd though, I suppose if you lived off the HU system they may wish to find out if you had any ,"value" or not to them.

Maybe when the system crashes ( which will happen at some point) they want to know who to round up first as they are of no vlaue.

We useless eaters!

Only thing in our favor is we collect zero mula from Hungary and just spend here.

NWO or not?

They have to start the credit system somewhere.

I say bring it on, today is a good day to die as my native realtions would say.

They on the census asked about if anyone had rental properties etc. Maybe if your home was too large by their standards they could possibly chop it up into smaller units as in the past or move a few people in with you if your place was too large for just one resident. Happened in the past so why not again? ( I also wondered why our flat had such strange dimensions)

Everyone wants a few refugees to move in with them and take over their homes after all.

After WW11 people with larger flats found themselves with a few roomies they had not counted on.

Mad Max time is just around the bend.

I say bring it on, today is a good day to die as my native realtions would say.
They on the census asked about if anyone had rental properties etc. Maybe if your home was too large by their standards they could possibly chop it up into smaller units as in the past or move a few people in with you if your place was too large for just one resident. Happened in the past so why not again? ( I also wondered why our flat had such strange dimensions)
Everyone wants a few refugees to move in with them and take over their homes after all.
After WW11 people with larger flats found themselves with a few roomies they had not counted on.

I suppose my MIL is like that. She lives in a decrepit old house. Self-built by my deceased FIL and his brothers. My MIL is incapable of doing any work on it physically and doesn't have the brainpower to work it out any more due to creeping dementia.  But the house could have potentially 2 or more families living there. Maybe up to 8 people.  The garden is very substantial and full of fruit and nut trees. I don't know what will happen to the place when she goes. I reckon turn it into flats or knock it down and build some row houses. I would think even refugees would turn it down as it stands.

I was there yesterday and for the first time in about 5 years I went upstairs. It's a horror show. I am surprised parts of it haven't collapsed, what with the large trees rubbing on the roof and general lack of maintenance. It's going to take someone 2 or 3 months full time to get rid of the accumulated trash stored there. My FIL was a hoarder. Old bike wheels, large industrial speakers, tools, bits of metal, gardening stuff and piles of newspapers and books. We wouldn't get anyone to clear it out.

Like many people in Hungary, my FIL may have hidden money and valuables around the place. So many older people do that here.  We think there might be some jewellery buried in the grounds of another house Mrs F has a share in.  Before WW2, Jewish people rented it but they left in a hurry sometime like 1939 and went possibly to the UK or Switzerland.  There was always a thought they left something behind buried there in case they came back which of course, they never did. 

You can always get a rubbish co. to cme in with a large bin and remove everything.

However, it might be best to examine every nook and jar, box etc. before lsing some hidden treasures.

When my MIL passed away we got 2 guys to remove some furniture, we even had a few people just come in and take what they wanted, anything we didn't want to keep.

We burnt in the wood stove a old clothing cabinet. Later we realized it was a high quailty made cabinet manufactured in 1908 by a famous maker... All ash and smoke.

On the day we moved out one of the movers asked my husband if he could have some ugly old jar that was near the bed that his step-father used.

He said yes, help yourself.Days later when he tought it over he was kicking himself.

He said his step-dad was the sort of guy to hide money in a jar.

When my mother passed away my sister gave her things to a homeless shelter. My sister had a weird feeling about looking deep into the side pockets of one of mom's old handbags.

She pulled out a $100. bill.

Not a fortune but my sister could of used it at the time and was happy she double checked the pockets. Mom had a werid habit of buying cheap handbags and keeping allot of cash with her at all times.

Me, I use expensive handbags and barely have a buck inside!

My husband said on the grounds where Arena Plaza is , it was a waiting area for Jewsih people in WW11. They were held there before being sent away from Keliti station. They found many buried treasures in the ground during the days when the racetrack was built there before the mall.

So sad, people thought they would someday return and unbury their items.

You can always get a rubbish co. to cme in with a large bin and remove everything.
However, it might be best to examine every nook and jar, box etc. before lsing some hidden treasures.
When my MIL passed away we got 2 guys to remove some furniture, we even had a few people just come in and take what they wanted, anything we didn't want to keep.
We burnt in the wood stove a old clothing cabinet. Later we realized it was a high quailty made cabinet manufactured in 1908 by a famous maker... All ash and smoke.
On the day we moved out one of the movers asked my husband if he could have some ugly old jar that was near the bed that his step-father used.
He said yes, help yourself.Days later when he tought it over he was kicking himself.
He said his step-dad was the sort of guy to hide money in a jar.
When my mother passed away my sister gave her things to a homeless shelter. My sister had a weird feeling about looking deep into the side pockets of one of mom's old handbags.
She pulled out a $100. bill.
Not a fortune but my sister could of used it at the time and was happy she double checked the pockets. Mom had a werid habit of buying cheap handbags and keeping allot of cash with her at all times.
Me, I use expensive handbags and barely have a buck inside!
My husband said on the grounds where Arena Plaza is , it was a waiting area for Jewsih people in WW11. They were held there before being sent away from Keliti station. They found many buried treasures in the ground during the days when the racetrack was built there before the mall.
So sad, people thought they would someday return and unbury their items.

It's easy to forget about stuff. My bro told me he came back from a business trip and put his cold weather gear in a cupboard. About 8 months later, when the bad weather was returning, he looked in his pockets and found an envelope with a few hundred USD in it! Wow, how the other half live!

I think we'll get a "kontener" (US: dumpster? UK: skip) and put everything in there. We'll have to check each thing in detail to make sure there's nothing hidden away or taped to the hidden surfaces. Big furniture maybe we'll have to break up. I don't think we could burn it as it's all covered in paint or varnish.

All clothes and shoes etc will just have to go in recycling bins they have at some supermarkets.  No-one will want any of that stuff.  Worn out jumpers and shoes etc. Kind of jumping the gun here - my MIL isn't close to departing as least physically unless she has another stroke or TIA. Brain wise she's a lot closer to the exit.

I personally like the idea of getting rid of the FIL garbage right now while there's some motivation and the weather is not too bad. But I suppose there's sensitivity there as he's been gone only 2 years or so. Mrs F went to the MIL/FIL house multiple times to clean up and told me she'd struggled to get rid of any of it. Seems to have more or less given up.  There's all sorts of nonsense. For some reason they have baby grand piano.  None of them can play it and it takes up loads of room. The only way it can go out is in pieces. I have no idea how the hell they got it in that room.

I didn't know about the grounds of Arena Plaza in WW2. Mrs F is discussing getting a metal detector and looking around to see what we can find. That's if we can get past the piles of junk piled up everywhere. I looked the other day there and there are metal cabinets from a telephone exchange. WTF?

My freind in AZ said they just did a big census in the states.

Asked questions about Covid, your health, how much of a hardship it was to buy gas etc.

6 months later they sent out more paperwork to every 6th home.

The news last night said that 85% of HUngarians were against the census.

Glad not everyone is sleeping.

The dealine was today but it's been extended till Wed.

My freind in AZ said they just did a big census in the states.
Asked questions about Covid, your health, how much of a hardship it was to buy gas etc.
6 months later they sent out more paperwork to every 6th home.
The news last night said that 85% of HUngarians were against the census.
Glad not everyone is sleeping.
The dealine was today but it's been extended till Wed.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I dunno, I can see they need it to determine how many schools, hospitals and homes they need in the future.  Unfortunately they probably are screwed by their own politics here.  The figures won't lie.   

In the UK, there are far more single people now and married people obviously includes same sex couples who may or may not have children for the local schools.  There's was a predictable rise in the number of homes needed - for 1 or 2 people rather than families.  Population in the UK is rising through presumably immigration but here, I think it's declining and quite fast.   It might turn out to be like parts of Italy - deserted villages and empty towns.  Not just politics but work and earning opportunities drive people away.

Actually, strangely enough, the area here which was all "holiday homes" and "weekend houses" is now being done up - the roads are being completed and asphalted, the drains are being worked on and the water pipes are renewed.  Previously the local government didn't want to fix those places up because if they did, they'd have to provide schools, health centres, parks, street lighting etc.   Suddenly it seems to have changed - the Health Minister used to live over there and nothing was done.  Now he's gone from government, it seems it's now possible to get things finished.

I don't know why people are against a census?

I don't know why people are against a census?
-@SimCityAT

They aren't really against it per se, they just don't trust the government here not to use the information against them.

Echoes of communism  and its nefarious purposes. 

I realised (rather belatedly) or woke up to it again that it was like 30+ years ago. 

There's a whole generation or people who are completely disconnected from that horror.   

It's like Chernobyl next door in Ukraine.  People don't remember or weren't alive when that happened. 

So another nuclear issue there seems distant from them.

When Chernobyl happpened we thought about bringing my nephew to Ca. It would f taken so long with visa's etc. to get him over that we just forgot about it.

He is only 6 months older then our son is so we thought it would be nice to have him around for a time.

My MIL got some weird growth on her forehead after that accident, had it removed, not sure what it was really.

People are against the gov. knowing anything about their personal lives because in the past the gov. abused the info they had on people.

So many self emplyed people here now days but back in the day they stmaped your workbok everyday. If a cop asked to see your papers and nticed you hadn't had your workbook stamped you were taken in a quesitoned,If you couldn't show a doctors note or a valid reason for not being at work, they would take you in to a wrok labot camp for the days or weeks you didn't have a stamp in your book.

My husband sometimes wanted a day off from his 6 days a week machinist job so he would spend the mornings in the medical clinic getting a note and then he could spend a few hours in the movies or doing something else.

Hardly ever did that but we all need mental health days.

Only if you were a housewife or student  or retired you didn't need to be at work. It was their way of keeping people so busy they didn't have time to revolt.

When Chernobyl happpened we thought about bringing my nephew to Ca. It would f taken so long with visa's etc. to get him over that we just forgot about it.
He is only 6 months older then our son is so we thought it would be nice to have him around for a time.
My MIL got some weird growth on her forehead after that accident, had it removed, not sure what it was really.
People are against the gov. knowing anything about their personal lives because in the past the gov. abused the info they had on people.

Are you sure it wasn't a pair of horns on your MIL's head?

Ok, bad joke, apologies to all nice MILs.

So many self emplyed people here now days but back in the day they stmaped your workbok everyday. If a cop asked to see your papers and nticed you hadn't had your workbook stamped you were taken in a quesitoned,If you couldn't show a doctors note or a valid reason for not being at work, they would take you in to a wrok labot camp for the days or weeks you didn't have a stamp in your book.
My husband sometimes wanted a day off from his 6 days a week machinist job so he would spend the mornings in the medical clinic getting a note and then he could spend a few hours in the movies or doing something else.
Hardly ever did that but we all need mental health days.
Only if you were a housewife or student or retired you didn't need to be at work. It was their way of keeping people so busy they didn't have time to revolt.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Sounds like school.  If our kids are missing from school, we have to get a form from the Docs.  It's a bureaucracy.  They used to do this in the UK but stopped when it overwhelmed the doctors.  It then became self-certification I think for the first 3 days.

If I remember correctly back in the 1960's in Ca. whenever they came door to door to take the census my mother would get mad about it.

Well I know she was angry with just about everything the gov. did and never trusted them.

She'd tell us whatever good they seem to do for people is another agenda. Mom was the first conspiricy follower ever!

Think she got the trait from her German father. He was on and on about the Rockerfellers from back in the 1930's .

My other grandfather wrote atricles for Pravda from the US.

Mom never voted once in her life, I did once, waste of time and probably put me on the watch list!

I used to write myself excuse notes to get out of school.

After say 9 or 10 months time they finally called my mother up to see if I was alive or not.

Let's just say I had some splaining to do!!

I was able to get away with it because my mom knew the schools were just a bby-sitting service. I ditched to visit classes in a local college where my friends were attending.

I showed mom my grades were at least passing without even showing my face at school.

It's true the noisy wheel draws attention. If you're pleasent and stay quiet they sometimes forget you exsist.

Seems they really, really want your info. They plan on coming door knocking to those who didn't do the online census.

They may even come a kockin" if you did the online questions.

They will come a mx. of 3 times to your door then I suppose they will send out fines etc.

Seems they really, really want your info. They plan on coming door knocking to those who didn't do the online census.
They may even come a kockin" if you did the online questions.
They will come a mx. of 3 times to your door then I suppose they will send out fines etc.
-@Marilyn Tassy

They'll be disappointed if they come to my door. 

I won't know what they want.   

The dog will however be pleased to see them. It's pleased to see anyone.