Medication that cannot be found in Mauritius

Hello guys,

We're currently finalizing our PDF Expat Guide for 2023 and I was wondering whether you guys had had trouble finding any medication in Mauritius that might be worth mentioning in the guide? If so, can you let us know which ones and whether you could find any similar medication. And if not, how did you manage?

That would be super helpful to us and to all the expats who might want to move to Mauritius soon!

Thanks and have a great day!

Anne-Lise

Editorial Manager, Expat.com

Subutex, Lyrica.

Zyban, Champix

@Anne-Lise Mty

Advil CS and GenPayne or Myprodol. Struggling to find medication strong enough to cope with migraine. 

Methocarbamol for muscle spasm

And I forgot the Epinephrine autoinjecto (EPI Pen) for anaphylactic shocks o.e.

After we had to use the pen from our Emergency Kit it is hard to get a new one..

@Anne-Lise Mty

Good morning.

I am not able to get Wellbutrin (anti-depressant). We used it in South Africa. We did try Buletrip SR-150, which seems to be working and is not too expensive. You can buy this without a script.

There is a possibility that you can ask your GP (in Mauritius) to write a prescription and then communicate with your home country pharmacy. You can then request to get permission to import this medication yourself with a motivation and script from your local GP and the details of your pharmacy in your home country.

This might take a while to be approved and I have not started the process yet so I am not clear on all the details.

Hope this helps.

I was able to find Bupropion (Wellbutrin).  See my October 4, 2022 post:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 39#5514370

@Busy Bee29

I got round this by buying the adrenaline and syringe from my local pharmacy

@Anne-Lise Mty I got hold of a copy of the approved list of pharmaceutical products by the pharmaceutical board and went through it for my medication. I then could advise my chemist which company to obtain it from if it was available in Mauritius. What I couldn't find, I then googled for the generics and then followed the same procedure until I found what was available in Mauritius. I was finally able to obtain all of the meds or generics.

nicotine spray for example from nicorette there are other brands also