Wanting to teach English at Universities in Danang

Hi all, I am new here and would really appreciate some help. I am a Singaporean (currently visiting Danang) wanting to live and work in Danang, Vietnam. I was the Kindergarten teacher (taught English and other subjects as well)  at two international schools  in Myanmar for five years. I hold a graduate diploma in Human Resource Management from Murdoch University, Western Australia. (2020). And my Bachelor of Arts ( majored in English Literature and minored in Psychology) was from the University of Manitoba, Canada. I have a TESOL certificate from the RELC in Singapore and have taught English to adults in Singapore. I speak Mandarin as my second language.

What are my chances in landing a job teaching English at universities in Danang and how do I go about this?

Many thanks1f60a.svg

Hi all, I am new here and would really appreciate some help. I am a Singaporean (currently visiting Danang) wanting to live and work in Danang, Vietnam. I was the Kindergarten teacher (taught English and other subjects as well) at two international schools in Myanmar for five years. I hold a graduate diploma in Human Resource Management from Murdoch University, Western Australia. (2020). And my Bachelor of Arts ( majored in English Literature and minored in Psychology) was from the University of Manitoba, Canada. I have a TESOL certificate from the RELC in Singapore and have taught English to adults in Singapore. I speak Mandarin as my second language.
What are my chances in landing a job teaching English at universities in Danang and how do I go about this?

Many thanks1f60a.svg
-@Margie Hanam

Hi Margie Hanam, and welcome to expat.com!

I'm afraid I can offer little in the way of information regarding the qualifications necessary to teach English at the university level in VN. That being said, you more than qualify for a position as an English teacher at both private language centres, and at public schools here. Reports are that working at a public school is preferable to working at any of the language centres. The minimum requirement to obtain a teaching position in VN is a university degree, in any subject.

"Work permit" visa (DN visa) applications in VN are submitted to VN immigration only by the employer. I suggest you reach out to a university in Danang to ascertain with certainty their required credentials. If you find that you are eligible to apply for a position at the university level, submit your application to the university. Upon acceptance of your application for a teaching position there, the university will submit the necessary documents to VN immigration on your behalf, and will then present you with your work contract, and with your valid DN visa. The beauty of this is that the employer will do all the leg work and navigate through all the governmental red-tape for you.

When you have the time, we would very much appreciate hearing back from you on the processes you took to secure your university teaching position.

Again, welcome to expat.com. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Many helpful expat.com members are ready to help.

edit: I notice that you have subscribeed to the Danang forum. Additional information relative to living in VN can be found on the Vietnam main forum.

@Margie Hanam

I neglected to suggest that you post your resume to our "Jobs in Da Nang" section. Those pages are regularly viewed by potential employers.

Best of luck, Margie Hanam, and hope to hear back from you soon with your good news!

First port of call should be the universities in Da Nang and get the correct information needed.

First port of call should be the universities in Da Nang and get the correct information needed.
-@colinoscapee

I think UDN & AUV are the big 2?

-@colinoscapee
I think UDN & AUV are the big 2?
-@AndyHCMC

RMIT has an designated English language centre in Da Nang.

Many thanks1f60a.svg
-@Margie Hanam

Hi Margie and welcome to the Danang Forum on Expat.com

In addition to some good feedback you've already received, please keep in mind that Đà Nẵng is perhaps the most popular destination for ESL teachers in Việt Nam.

So from the start, competition for all available jobs is generally more stiff than in other cities.

By focusing only on local universities, you will almost certainly be competing against the best of the best ESL teachers for a limited number of positions.

It would definitely be possible to come here and easily get employment at an English center while waiting to get the position you want.

Your Singapore passport affords you 30 days of visa-free travel in Vietnam (as long as you are not receiving renumeration for any activities here) and that 30 day allowance immediately refreshes the moment you leave Vietnam (such as on a border run to Laos from Danang), so it should be much easier for you to come to the Danang area and arrange face-to-face interviews with prospective employers than it would be if you were required to use the eVisa system.

If you have the wherewithal to survive here for 3 months (including visa border runs) I'd highly recommend that you come here to start your job search.

The face.book expat groups for Danang work well for new arrivals introducing themselves to prospective employers.

You can be certain that if a local university is seeking a new ESL teacher, they will be monitoring the activities in the expat groups.

In addition, there are a few local guides who can be of great assistance in helping you to get your CV to the right administrator and in setting up interviews.

Good luck with your plans.

O.B.

-@colinoscapee

This ^

Contacting prospective employers is an essential step in any successful job search.

However, I didn't think many universities in VN employ full-time foreign lecturers. Of course, I could be wrong. Check with HR,  the Department Head, or the Dean of the Faculty.