Menu
Expat.com

Best Internet Service Providers in The Copacabana/Ipanema Area?

Last activity 26 December 2022 by sprealestatebroker

headshot

Greetings All,

I imagine that not all providers are available in all buildings.  I haven't take possession of my apartment yet but I am looking for recommendations.  In order of importance, I am looking for...

Stability

Low latency and packet drop

Speed

I there are any digital nomads or tech nerds in the area (like me) that can give me a top 3 to 5 recommendation, I would much appreciate it.

Bhavna

2b06.svg UP

headshot

Really, no one in this forum has an recommendations?

sprealestatebroker

for most part you are stuck with either VIVO ( Telefonica of Spain ) or Claro ( Embratel/Telemex).

And in Rio, for what I understand, the prevailing local incumbent carrier might not be Vivo, rather Telemar ( who, at some time in the past the Cariocas were fondly of using the Telemerda moniker ).

If you are in a multi dwelling residential building, there are chances you will get all of the above, and possibly a fiber drop to the building riser ( they call it shaft in Brazil ). 

My experience...

Customer Service, Telefonica is a better deal, yet, i have to pay for both, as Telefonica does not provide a fiber drops at one of my addresses, even then after they have fiber on the curbside ( I live in a single family home ). So I am stuck with Claro on one of my domiciles.

None of them are perfect, that is your pick of poison.   You ain't getting your MSO QOS, nor your Verizon Fios out here.  Yet, depending on your domicile, you might get fiber.  Multi dwelling units afford you as such.

As for business class carrier drops, even if they are in Brazil, fat chances they will drop a loop.  No Century Link, no business grade.  They don't care about your paltry money. 

headshot

Fair enough.... I guess I can always walk to Starbucks in a building outage.  Thank you -SP!

sprealestatebroker

Starbucks are not any better than any other choice. It ain't like they have a back up power through a Genset.

If you wander throughout the city, and you spot Health Clinics and Hospitals, and you are a good observer, you wil notice they all carry a Diesel Generator( usually a N or N+1 Configuration ).

This goes back to power outages on a not so distant past.  These places need to maintain a Genset with maintenance contracts, as power outages might chance to happen. 

On densely populated areas , in better neighborhoods, you will spot branded manholes, the more business offices you will see , the more they become prevalent.  ( GVT, Telefonica, Embratel, Claro, TIM, Algar Telecom, Century Link, Global Crossing, the local garden variety CLEC ), the better is the bandwidth.

For the beachcombers out there, who want to live by the seaside, outside those posh Rio strips, you are shit out of luck.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Rio de Janeiro

• Using phones in Brazil
    Using phones in Brazil

It's much easier these days to get a cell phone in Brazil, and phones and calling plans are inexpensive. ...

• Connecting to the internet in Brazil
    Connecting to the internet in Brazil

These days, it's difficult to survive without an internet connection. Fortunately, internet coverage is pretty ...

• Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro
    Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro

With an official population of about seven million people, and almost twice that number in the metro area, Rio de ...

• Working in Rio de Janeiro
    Working in Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro is Brazil's largest commercial center after São Paulo. With a diversified economy, it ...

• Discovering Rio de Janeiro
    Discovering Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro may conjure up images of golden beaches populated by unimaginably beautiful people or of streets ...

• Accommodation in Brasilia
    Accommodation in Brasilia

Brasilia, the country's federal capital, is home to many highly-paid government employees and foreign ...

• Marriage in Brazil
    Marriage in Brazil

Brazil can be a romantic country, and you may want to marry here. Perhaps you even want to remain in Brazil ...

• Accommodation in São Paulo
    Accommodation in São Paulo

São Paulo is Brazil's largest city by far. It offers a wide variety of accommodations with different ...

All of Rio de Janeiro's guide articles