Menu
Expat.com

Where to live and find a house in Bulgaria

Last activity 05 January 2023 by janemulberry

larsbackman

Hello,

We are a retired couple from Helsinki Finland. We have a house in Helsinki and a summer cottage in the Finnish archipelago but we would like to spend more of the winter in a warmer country, in Europe and preferable in an affordable place.

So why not in Bulgaria.

Any good advice on howto approach this in an intelligent way.

Looking for a house and how and where.

Things like that.

Regards,

Lars Backman

Robert Sutherland30

Hi there,

Having done this last year (from uk t least), I’d recommend a proper estate agent.

There is a company called Mowlem that sell houses, but whilst the house you buy may be fine, there are plenty of stories of finding serious issues down the line - such as big structural cracks boarded over then painted.

we used Yantra Homes in Veliko Turnavo. English speaking, very professional. They knew solicitors and lots of other contacts.

stone houses are very solid, mud brick houses not so. A property with a well is preferable too.

like everywhere around the world, you’ll find good builders and not so good builders.

join a few Facebook groups in the area you’re thinking of settling in. There are lots of foreign nationals dotted around. My village has English, German, American & French. Love the multicultural way of life !

hopefully, that’s a starting point. Please get in touch if you’d like to pick my brain. There are some brilliant people on this forum x

HolisticTherapy

A warmer country? I must have missed this completely.

The Canary Islands are warmer in the winter, but Bulgaria isn't.

HolisticTherapy

A warmer country? I must have missed this completely.

The Canary Islands are warmer in the winter, but Bulgaria isn't.

gwynj

@larsbackman

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck in your search for some winter warmth! :-)

Helsinki's lovely, but Finland is definitely pretty cold in winter! So, of course, Bulgaria is warmer than that. This winter has been very mild (so far), but we had -12 at our village house a couple of years ago.

Maybe somewhere even warmer (like Cyprus/Greece/Spain/Turkey) might be nice? Of these, Turkey is the most affordable. However, Bulgaria's low cost is a big plus. Our city apartment (in Plovdiv, Bulgaria's 2nd city, and a former European Capital of Culture) is very easy to heat, even in winter... our last electricity bill was only 30 euros.

HelenDinBG

I have to agree with comments above, it may not be as cold as Finland here in BG but it certainly is not warm. We did not see the sun today and it was a struggle to get into double figures °C. If we wanted warmer winters we would be living a lot further south than where we are in the south eastern corner of Bulgaria.

what exactly do you want from your second holiday home? It is not super expensive to live here compared to other parts of the world, but it isn’t “cheap” to have a house empty for months in any country.

wtruckyboy

Try spain. The canaries or maldives.

We own a property on the black sea

Only ever stayed there once..it was xmas..new year time..

It made me install a real fireplace..log burner..but logs have to be bought dry and in summer..

Guest7632

@wtruckyboy cant own property in Maldives

Perpignan Narbonne

Hello. I am French. I really like Bulgaria. It is a beautiful country with good opportunities. Prices are good, for houses. If you are looking for a warm winter, choose the Spanish Mediterranean coast. The best for a good climate and a good price:

1/ Sagunto, a city by the sea, 70,000 inhabitants (20 kilometers from the very large city of Valencia). In winter between 14 and 16 degrees during the day, 6 degrees at the coldest at night. In Sagunto 29 or 30 degrees during the day in summer.

I have a small house in the center of the old town of Sagunto. it is a beautiful place.

Or

2/ in Andalusia Motril, a small town by the sea (south of Granada and south of the Sierra Nevada). this is the tropical coast of Spain. In winter 17.5 degrees during the day in the coldest month. and 9 degrees at the coldest of the night. In Andalusia it is very hot during the day in summer. But on the coast it's good 30 degrees during the day. The best climate in Europe in winter.

Here are the examples of prices in Sagunto and Motril. You will see it is not too expensive by the sea. Not much more expensive than in Bulgaria.

Here is a link to discover a seaside town, near Alicante where there are a lot of Swedes. But very urbanized. [link under review]

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Links have been removed : unable to access
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
knopix

So in topic "Where to live and find a house in Bulgaria" you @Perpignan Narbonne offer different country and moderators just only cut your links... Anyway for prices we have numbeo . com and this is it.

Currently I am selling house in Veliko Tarnovo, you can inform by google about the city, no need to advertise and embellish. The house is located in the old part of the city, with a nice view. Two floors, huge basement and terrace. Each floor is 48 square meters, total 96 plus the basement is 48, it can be converted into anything. There is no yard. No ad posted anywhere. I'll take pictures and post one, and if it's not against the rules, I'll send a link here as well.

The house is located in the old part of the city, with a nice view. Two floors, huge basement and terrace. Each floor is 48 square meters, total 96 plus the basement is 48, it can be converted into anything. There is no yard. No ad posted anywhere. I'll take pictures and post one, and if it's not against the rules, I'll send a link here as well.

If anyone is interested in this city and this area, they can contact me, I can send you a telegram, whatsapp, viber in PM. When I take pictures, I will also post a location to save you wasting time. I'm not an agency.

Guest7632
So in topic "Where to live and find a house in Bulgaria" you @Perpignan Narbonne offer different country and moderators just only cut your links... Anyway for prices we have numbeo . com and this is it.
Currently I am selling house in Veliko Tarnovo, you can inform by google about the city, no need to advertise and embellish. The house is located in the old part of the city, with a nice view. Two floors, huge basement and terrace. Each floor is 48 square meters, total 96 plus the basement is 48, it can be converted into anything. There is no yard. No ad posted anywhere. I'll take pictures and post one, and if it's not against the rules, I'll send a link here as well.

The house is located in the old part of the city, with a nice view. Two floors, huge basement and terrace. Each floor is 48 square meters, total 96 plus the basement is 48, it can be converted into anything. There is no yard. No ad posted anywhere. I'll take pictures and post one, and if it's not against the rules, I'll send a link here as well.

If anyone is interested in this city and this area, they can contact me, I can send you a telegram, whatsapp, viber in PM. When I take pictures, I will also post a location to save you wasting time. I'm not an agency.
-@knopix

Numbeo is a fantasy. Bulgaria is cheaper

Jules999

@knopix

Veliko Tarnovo is one of my favourite cities to visit, I'd love to see pictures and more details on the property.

janemulberry

VT is a beautiful city!

But I'm not sure it will meet @larsbackman's requirement for somewhere warmer in winter. Warmer than Finland, probably, for sure! But it gets quite cold there! South and near the Black Sea coast is likely to be the warmest Bulgarian region.

Maybe @larsbackman can clarify what winter temperatures they'd prefer?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

All of Bulgaria's guide articles