Cost of living

Good evening. My name is Al, I am a Canadian ling in the Toronto area. What is the average monthly cost to live in the suburbs there including housing. Thank you in advance, looking forward to your response .

Hello Burnburn,

Welcome to Expat.com1f601.svg

Could you please tell us why Panama? Have you been there before?

While waiting for other members of this forum to reply, I invite you to read the Living in Panama guide for expats. You should check different articles such as accommodation, visa, formalities, etc.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Al - we are also Canadian and planning our move to Portugal.  Cost of living varies widely within Portugal. This site, and google generally, has a lot of info onthe different areas and towns.  You can also do cost of living comparos at numbeo.com as a research tool, although I suspect those numbers are out of date due to the recent inflation surge.

@Burnburn  Depends on where you are living and what lifestyle you will want. Could be $4,000 in Panama City or it could be $1500 living Panamanian-style in a remote village! Need to define what you truly want.

@Burnburn Hi, if you´re interested in the cost of living check out www.numbeo.com.  You can compare anywhere in the world to where you are living.  You may want to check out the cost of living in Medellin, Colombia.  It is 40% cheaper than living in Toronto, and it´s a paradise.  Much cheaper than Panama or for that matter anywhere else in Central or South America.  I´ve been living here for two years, and loving it.   

it is numbeo.com. If you want any more info just send a message to me. Cheers

@thorky since Colombia doesn't have a Trade Agreement with the US, wouldn't a US expat be double taxed? Once in the US and again in Colombia. Right?

@Samsung A02 Samsung A02

I don´t know, as I´m a Canadian living in Colombia

Cost of living in a "suburb" like brisas del golf or San antonio (Eastern Panama):

Renting a house: $600-800 per month

Food: maybe 1/2 the price of Canada, but it depends on your specific diet.

Internet: $30-50ish a month

Water: $8.20/month

Trash: $10/month

Electricity: $100ish a month (or a lot less if you can live without AC)

Transport: $0.25 per bus ride, $0.85 to take the train to the center of the city.

Entertainment is really cheap but limited compared to Toronto.

I would avoid renting in Panama Oeste due to the issues with water, crime, and traffic.