Temporary residence visa, Argentina

What are the precise requirements for an American citizen to obtain a temporary visa for Argentina? Is it possible to travel to the country, get a 90-day visa and then apply for an extension or conversion to a temporary visa? Just looking for a most convenient way. Based on the financial requirements for a single person, I should easily qualify. Thanks for your help.

Hello alwish1,

You should start by reading the Living in Argentina guide for expats.

There are articles such as Visas for Argentina where you can probably find the answer while waiting for other members of this forum to assist you.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert on this.

I only know that there are some people that are staying in Buenos Aires that will make a quick trip across the border to Uruguay by ferry and then come back to reset the 90-day limit. At least that worked many years ago. I'm not sure now.

@samwdavis - thanks. That's useful to know.

Cheryl

The link you gave is not very useful

Basically says talk to your Argentinian embassy

@Cheryl to be quite honest Cheryl

The link is not very useful

Here is a much better site to get started

internationalliving.com/countries/argentina/argentina-visa-and-residency-information/ 

International living is the link

Or like the link Cheryl says, go to Cancillería de Argentina

Best to have people with " boots on the ground" experience discussing this

I lived there years ago and took the ferry across to Uruguay and stayed almost two years

If you overstay your visa all you will get is a small fine when you leave. But you may not be able to return to Argentina.  I also know people who took the ferry to Uruguay which is OK if you want to live in or near Buenos Aires.