Menu
Expat.com

LTO in Cagayan De Oro new dress code

Last activity 10 February 2023 by Guest8973

FindlayMacD

Been to the LTO in Bulua Cagayan De Oro today to register my car and to my surprise, as they have done CDO Immigration, the Muslim employees have had their way again, resulting in a new dress code, no shorts, no sleeveless t-shirts, all the ladies must have shoulders covered and skirts/dresses must be well below the knee. As always, there is someone who sees this as a business opportunity, setting up outside the gate renting out full length dresses for women and long pants for the guys at P50 per item.

chefm0408

@FindlayMacD

Report to LTO Mnaila office or civil service commission. If not reported it will continue

Yoginee

Hello FindlayMacD,

From what I have understood online, the need of a proper dress code has in fact been implemented by the LTO.

I'm not too sure if this has something to do with religion....

You can check here:

https://www.motopinas.com/motorcycle-ne … fices.html

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

bigpearl

Sounds like it's time to move to a civilized northern part of PH. Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Lotus Eater

Does the LTO permit 'cross dressing' ?

Enzyte Bob
Been to the LTO in Bulua Cagayan De Oro today to register my car and to my surprise, as they have done CDO Immigration, the Muslim employees have had their way again, resulting in a new dress code, no shorts, no sleeveless t-shirts, all the ladies must have shoulders covered and skirts/dresses must be well below the knee. As always, there is someone who sees this as a business opportunity, setting up outside the gate renting out full length dresses for women and long pants for the guys at P50 per item.
-@FindlayMacD

Sorry FindlayMacD

Several years ago I posted on this subject, I was wearing cargo pants and was instructed to go around the corner and rent sweatpants and then I was allow in.

I don't believe they were Muslim as this LTO shared space with a church, while waiting my turn it line I was serenaded with the corus "You have a friend in Jesus".

It was so loud I had trouble hearing the LTO agent.

pnwcyclist

Well personally I always try to dress appropriately when going into government offices - LTO, Immigration, etc. Long pants and a button down shirt. To me it shows respect, but I'm kind of old fashioned in that regard.

Nightfish

This is my idea of an acceptable dress code in the PI.

I'm clean, my clothes are clean and I treat others with common courtesy.

That said, last year I went to 2 funerals wearing a shirt, swim trunks and flip flops. Nobody batted an eye.

For myself, a shirt with buttons is getting "dressy".

I wonder how many others share my approach?

kristopherryanwatson

@Nightfish

you went to a funeral wearing swimming trunks with a shirt?  i find that offensive, if not trashy.

why would you not wear a polo and casual trousers?

danfinn

@Nightfish Not my style. We just attended a wedding with myself wearing a barong tagalog, black trousers and shoes, not flip flops. You honor people by what you wear, especially at weddings and funerals. People watching you will never tell you if they are offended but they know you have the money to purchase respectable clothes.

kristopherryanwatson

Filipinos dont have the backbone to be upfront to tell you what they really think,unless you deliberately did something to offend them. in this case the scenario being at a funeral,  they rather it pass than make an open comment. in general, they would not say something directly. they rather talk/chismis about you afterwards. you can bet your last peso that they definitely talked about "that foreigner who dressed disrespectfully" to their friends and family.

Nightfish

@kristopherryanwatson

Must have hit a nerve here?

You obviously care more about attire and

irrelevant gossip than myself.

Equally obvious you're convinced that you know more than you actually do.

Did it ever occur to you to ask what the others were wearing before climbing upon your pedestal?

You're not required to agree with or like my choice, if not - say so. But, don't chastise, lecture or berate

my choice simply because it doesn't suit you.

My experience; showing up, empathy and support count more than long pants.

Although, I did wear long pants at a Philippine church funeral in 2018 (on vacation). I'm sure they are hanging up someplace.

kristopherryanwatson

@Nightfish

haha dont flatter yourself. it has nothing to do with 'striking a nerve'. its called being respectable and showing respect

any self respecting man should care how he dresses, especially for an occasion such as a funeral.  you dress to show respect and to show youre man of integrity to dress according to the occasion. how you dress commands the level of respect given to you.  i am not aware of your age, but most males over the age of 25 know this.

if you dont care about that...well,sorry byt what was the point of going to the funeral anyway if you look like you just happened to stop by on your way to the beach?

Nightfish

@kristopherryanwatson

You seem to place a premium on appearance vs. content. I'd call that superficial, you?

Why did we go over to my friends house? To pay our respects to him and our family. Content.

Btw, casual dress stated above, I was still dressed as well or better than the vast majority. Of course your arrogance wouldn't allow that discovery.

Enzyte Bob
@Nightfish Not my style. We just attended a wedding with myself wearing a barong tagalog, black trousers and shoes, not flip flops. You honor people by what you wear, especially at weddings and funerals. People watching you will never tell you if they are offended but they know you have the money to purchase respectable clothes.
-@danfinn

Maybe Nightfish attended a funeral at a Nudist Colony.

The nudist all snickered at him for being overdressed.

kristopherryanwatson

@Enzyte Bob

well THAT explains it!

In that case, I stand corrected with my prior remarks.

Nightfish

@Enzyte Bob

Not quite Bob 1f600.svg, though I am comfortable in my own skin and will continue to be so.

Nightfish

@kristopherryanwatson

Good. Now go tie a windsor knot and pat yourself on the back.

kristopherryanwatson

@Nightfish

i'd ask if you know how to tie one, but you're probably too busy watching old reruns of Jerry Springer and don't want to be interrupted by taking your attention away from what you probably consider a highly cultural and informational documentary.

time to move on, big boy.

Yoginee

Hello all,

I'm intervening again.

This thread concerns the "new dress code in LTO".

Could we get back to the original topic please1f609.svg

Thanks,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Wellsfry

@FindlayMacD I went to this same one couple months ago and was shot down for same reason... had to go back to hotel and get my pants... RIDICULOUS...Then the Muslim gal denied me because I did not have a small picture of myself... i really "felt" like she enjoyed turning away expats... as I watched for ahwile and it haopened more than a couple times...I have used the one 2 times now in Ozamis before this, and went to it after this incident... ZERO issues with my attire, and Very helpful.   I will never go back to cagayan one.

Wellsfry

Yep

Nightfish

@kristopherryanwatson

Who is Jerry Springer?

bigpearl

LOL. Who is Tom Cat? Aside both Manila immi office, the airport if I need/want extend straight away and my local immi office for the last 3 years I have always worn dress shorts or cargo pants a g string and crocks with no socks, I always have a button up shirt but no tie and doubt my local office in San Fernando City would bat an eyelid if I had a tee shirt on.

I think the OP's post is relevant to where you live and the narrow minded opinions of those that think they Know God? Big egos or imposing personal wants? Are the immi offices  franchised like banks?

I never had any problems and sorry to hear other members have been through such problems with immi offices, sounds like the guy I talked to in Baguio about an SRRV application, 20 emails later I'll simply do it in Makati and not deal with self opinionated fools.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn
Maybe Nightfish attended a funeral at a Nudist Colony.

The nudist all snickered at him for being overdressed.
-@Enzyte Bob

Well, for a smiling Enzyte Bob, that experience might be a "hard-one" to deal with 😂

Wellsfry

@Wellsfry My Apologies... My comment is for the immigration office in Cagayan... not LTO....

Moon Dog

@FindlayMacD The no sleeveless blouse policy is also in effect at the Carigara LTO in Leyte. It may be a universal LTO policy. My wife was wearing a sleeveless blouse so they gave her something to cover her shoulders for her driver's license photo.

rcvining

Back on the original topic, I noted the LTO requirement to wear long pants when I arrived 2-1/2 years ago. My wife's brother-in-law arranged through a friend at a local LTO office to get her driver's license, and I went along wearing shorts. Surprise - they were also going to give me my license. Bigger surprise: even though there were signs saying long pants were required, nobody said a thing. Rule #2 in the Philippines: Who you know matters.

The BI office in CDO just recently started requiring long pants. No problem for me, as long as I know what the rules are before I show up. Again, rule #2 applied - a friend found this out the hard way and gave me a head's up before I did my annual report.

thedfords

Sometimes these posts are too petty.  When you go into an organization's office you must follow the rules whether you like them or not.  This is the manner in which a civil society behaves.   Typically if they are nice they will just ask you to leave and come back with the required dress.  If they aren't nice they will just ask you to leave and not return.  If you are an ass they might take you out back and beat yours. 

Guest8973

@FindlayMacD

I don't see a problem with requiring one to dress respectfully.

Now if they required you to wear a Mask/Veil, like the U.S. Gov't did, then I could understand complaining.

danfinn

Now if they required you to wear a Mask/Veil, like the U.S. Gov't did, then I could understand complaining.
-@Franktexas

You are talking about the pandemic. It was much worse here in PI. Not only were masks necessary but also face shields and even plastic barriers between passengers and driver on MCs, elder bans 65+from going outside and alcohol bans. Nobody could go to the beach. PCR tests when traveling between provinces. Comparatively, the US was a bastion of liberty.

Guest8973

@danfin

Yes I'm sure.

And comparatively speaking, The Philippines is a bastion of Freedom next to China.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles