Menu
Expat.com

Retirement in province

Last activity 05 February 2023 by pnwcyclist

Ken Ballantyne

Is it safe to retire in province outside of matie and build a house with my girlfriend her family has land their

Lat61

@Ken Ballantyne Becomming Filipino the Huge Philippine YouTuber is from that area. I would retire closer to Davao, hospitals, restaurants, entertainment,  Expats to talk to. Just way more to do. Her family can't hound you day and night but still close enough for visits. Youcan sell if things go sideways.

Lat61

I assume you meant Mati?

KenBallantyne77

@Lat61 yes outside of city

bigpearl
Is it safe to retire in province outside of matie and build a house with my girlfriend her family has land their
-@Ken Ballantyne

Hi Ken and welcome to the forum.

Only a suggestion as she is your girlfriend at the moment perhaps you should rent somewhere first and see how it goes for a year or so, only my opinion is to not throw money into non commitment.

Have you been there?

Cheers, Steve.

Enzyte Bob
-@Ken Ballantyne

Ken. . . . Some expats regret coming to the Philippines.

So rule number #1 don't invest more than you can afford to lose if your new life turns sour or else your retirement will take a big hit.

Rule #2 don't go where you don't belong regarding safety.

pnwcyclist

Your question is quite broad, whether you realize it or not. It depends the specific area, the number of other expats around, as well as your lifestyle, and the precautions you take. We foreigners are sometimes perceived as targets by those who may be doing drugs or involved in criminal activities. If you're the only foreigner in a remote area you could be at risk.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Davao

• Traveling to the Philippines with your pet
    Traveling to the Philippines with your pet

Pets, particularly cats and dogs, are often considered as family members. So if you are moving to the Philippines, ...

• Removals - UK to Philippines
    Removals - UK to Philippines

We used Wentworth International Movers for our removals from the UK to the Philippines. Their local shipping ...

• Moving to the Philippines
    Moving to the Philippines

Relocation will be an important part of your expatriation project to the Philippines. Here are some guidelines to ...

• Work in Davao
    Work in Davao

Located in Mindanao, Davao is a very dynamic city in economic terms, providing many professional opportunities for ...

• Getting married in the Philippines
    Getting married in the Philippines

Getting married in the Philippines provides a backdrop of immense beauty through stunning beaches, tropical ...

• Accommodation in Manila
    Accommodation in Manila

There are lots of renting options to choose from when relocating to Manila. Most expats in the Philippines live in ...

• Accommodation in Iloilo
    Accommodation in Iloilo

Iloilo, nicknamed the 'Heart of the Philippines', is a province stretching over 4,663 km² in the ...

• Accommodation in Davao
    Accommodation in Davao

Davao is an established metropolitan area with its capital, Davao City, catching up to the main Philippine cities ...

All of Davao's guide articles