Menu
Expat.com

Sick parent to be brought to Belgium for treatment

Last activity 06 February 2023 by kosanne

kosanne

Hi guys,

I need some advise. I recently received my Belgian Nationality and I would like to invite my mother here for health check up. She's been sick and doesn't receive the correct diagnosis in Africa hospitals where I come from. So I thought, maybe I can invite here to visit me and can take her to a hospital here to be checked. But the problem is she is not Belgian so she will pay alot of money for hospital costs. Is there a way I can apply for my parent in my  mutualiteit insurance-CM, Helan,. Partena etc? or do I need to apply for her as my dependent here so that she can get this benefits? what are the requirements for this?

Please advise if anyone has any experiences.

Thanks in advance

meme1

why you do not ask at your mutuality insurance directly? As far as I know she must be resident on Be (before anything).

SimCityAT
Hi guys,

I need some advise. I recently received my Belgian Nationality and I would like to invite my mother here for health check up. She's been sick and doesn't receive the correct diagnosis in Africa hospitals where I come from. So I thought, maybe I can invite here to visit me and can take her to a hospital here to be checked. But the problem is she is not Belgian so she will pay alot of money for hospital costs. Is there a way I can apply for my parent in my mutualiteit insurance-CM, Helan,. Partena etc? or do I need to apply for her as my dependent here so that she can get this benefits? what are the requirements for this?

Please advise if anyone has any experiences.

Thanks in advance
-@kosanne

You come from Africa, but your profile says you come from Brazil.

Can she not see another doctor back home for a second opinion?

photographycecile

Hello, where in Africa are you based? The continent is a giant and there are excellent centres for diagnosis and treatment. Better invest budget in trying to visit one of those private centers first. It will cost you less than inviting your mother here. I think it is better to know first the diagnosis and then look for the best center to cure the health issues. Wish your mother good health and quick recovery! I understand it feels a bit powerless and painful to have her on distance while she is not feeling well, keep heart <3

kosanne

@meme1 ok I will try. But what if she has medical Insurance  that covers internationally? Can she go to hospitals here?

kosanne

@photographycecile I come from DRC. Thank you, I will look around. My 2nd option was to take her to India for treatment

kosanne

@SimCityAT I cant remember creating my profile and what I wrote, but I am from DRC.  If here becomes difficult, then I am considering India. In Africa its very expensive and sometimes you get misdiagnosis. I wanted her to come here coz of the good doctors and hospitals that we have

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belgium

All of Belgium's guide articles