Where in Italy can I settle down ?

Hello everyone.  My name is Jesus and I live in the United States.  I am a  50 year old single man looking to retire outside the United States of America  and have considered Italy as one of the places I am interested in moving to.  My monthly budget for rent and expenses is $2700 (US dollars). I prefer small to midsize cities and not major cities and preferably northern Italy.  I would also like to know how the residency/citizenship process is.  Thank you.

Hello Chuyito,

Welcome on board !

Please note that I have created a new thread on the Italy forum so that members can reach out to you more easily.

I suggest that you read the Living in Italy guide for expats to gather as much information as possible on residency and visas.

If you have any question, feel free to ask.

All the very best

Bhavna

Italian Citizenship

METHOD 1: Securing Italian Citizenship by Descent

• Italy does not have a generational limit when applying. Meaning you can apply for Italian citizenship through parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great-grandparents.

METHOD 2: Securing Italian Citizenship by Marriage

• If this is your situation, you can gain citizenship after two years of marriage while living in Italy, or you can wait three years if you're living outside of the country.

METHOD 3: Securing Italian Citizenship by Residency / Naturalization

• You are required to establish a legal residence in Italy and live in Italy over 6 months of the year. with a visa to go to the next step.
  • You are also required to meet the mandatory time requirement based on your specific circumstances. In most cases, this will require you to live in Italy for at least 10 years to apply.