Uruguay : opinions from expats

Hi there,

Two years in Uruguay and i can't get used to live in this country. the food is bad, people herz gets ill from the junkfood, and you won't find many cultural associations but diabetic or alcoholic ones

The country is boring, expensive, thefts from crooks of all kind ..I

also experienced great physical brutality from the police.

So my question is: did positive commentators on this forum already lived in other countries in latin America as a comparison? I think Uruguay is definitely not a good destination to live or to invest and there is much better elsewhere Yucatan Colombia for ex. Thanks for your comments.

Hello,

I  have lived about half my life in Central Europe (mainly Germany) and Northern America (mainly Canada).  I have lived more than half a year in Mexico and visited Argentina and Brazil.   

Mexico was a very positive experience (I lived away from tourism in the  Xalapa area, my mother and siblings live in the touristy areas for  1 1/2 years now.  We left because of crime and AMLO.  The people are wonderful unless they kill you or have to help organized crime.  Mexico has a very sound economy and the Mexicans are hard working and friendly.  Although the fruits and vegetable there are better than in Uruguay, the food in general is worse and dangerous to your health.

To me Uruguay is the only Latin American country with the possible exception of Paraguay and Bolivia and perhaps in the future El Salvador that I would consider living in.  I actually want to live here.  There are things that really bother me here but which country does not have these to a greater extent.  And I like that Uruguay offers quality of life.  It is terribly expensive though.