Your thoughts are on the country in general and cost of living

@ HI all, my girlfriend who's family lives in Da Nang, and I are thinking of moving there for 1/2 half the year and being in Seattle for the summers since we do a lot of boating there. I am curious how other folks have been received and what your thoughts are on the country in general and specifically the cost of living and what you all like most about living in Vietnam? I am very active, 62yo and love good food and wine, but also thinking of teaching English part time. A former restaurant owner, the food part is big to me and I understand there is a big French influence in Vietnam.

So please chime in and help convince me to give this a try. I know I need to learn the Language, but hopefully get some great feedback from this forum.

We are thinking of visiting Da Nang in late March or early April.

Thanks everyone.

James C.

Hello James C

Welcome on board and thank you for your introduction!

Please note that I have created this new thread from your post on the Da Nang forum so that members can provide some feedback on your questions.

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna thank you so much for doing that much appreciated. It's a bit overwhelming with everything that's going through my mind on whether this is a good or bad decision. I'm excited though

In terms of the timing of your visit, you'll be arriving at the start of the hot season but several months before the rainy season, which brings tropical storms and flooding.

In general, it's a good time to arrive, but if you stay longer, it will gradually get hotter and eventually, the storms will arrive.

This shouldn't change your plans, but you should know what to expect.

No need to worry about the hospitality and cost of living. You should have a good time without spending a lot of money.

You won't learnt much of the language without great effort. Pick up a few Vietnamese words/phrases while using English most of the time. Many VNese people speak it.

@johnross23 John thanks so much for the feedback on the climate and I'm excited to experience some warmth coming from Seattle where it's still 40 and rainy and gray. Problem separate fantasy reality

John one thing I am determined to learn the language as fluently as I can get, as I think that shows respect the locals and my girlfriend's family.

John one thing I am determined to learn the language as fluently as I can get, as I think that shows respect the locals and my girlfriend's family.
-@jculpepper22

Not sure why you want to respect the locals, sure as *** they wont respect you.

Its a very difficult language to speak, being tonal there are often only subtle differences which are hard to detect.

Well it's called respect and it also makes living there easier and communicating with their family easier. I think we're coming from different perspectives here good luck to you

Well it's called respect and it also makes living there easier and communicating with their family easier. I think we're coming from different perspectives here good luck to you
-@jculpepper22

I lived in Viet Nam for 14 years, so I feel I have a better understanding than you. I can also speak, read and write Vietnamese to a communicative level. Good luck, Im sure you will see what Im talking about after living there awhile.

@colinoscapee you are probably right but walking in I have to have the attitude I need to learn the language and do the best I can to try and assimilate there. Thank you for your advice. Hope to meet you for a beer one day

@colinoscapee you are probably right but walking in I have to have the attitude I need to learn the language and do the best I can to try and assimilate there. Thank you for your advice. Hope to meet you for a beer one day
-@jculpepper22

Not sure where you will be living, try to find a university for language studies. There are also 3-dialects, North, South and Central. Northern being the more traditional and Central the hardest to learn.

Just noticed you will be residing in Da Nang which is the Central dialect. Look out for Oceanbeach to reply, he resides in Hoi An and may be able to assist with where to learn.

@colinoscapee thanks Colin appreciate your assistance here.

@johnross23 John thanks so much for the feedback on the climate and I'm excited to experience some warmth coming from Seattle where it's still 40 and rainy and gray. Problem separate fantasy reality
-@jculpepper22

As John mentioned, your timing will be good for your visit.

If your GF's family in Đà Nẵng is frank with you, they'll let you know that the weather in this area has been pretty wet, dreary and relatively cold--rough average between 68°f & 72°f*, with high humidity & overcast skies when not raining--since the typhoon passed through here last September and monsoon season (both dry & wet) having begun shortly after that.

It's not horrible weather to me and many others, and a bit reminiscent of Pacific Northwest life as I experienced it for 3 years in Tacoma.

It's part of the natural cycle of things that you hopefully accept if you are living here.

Unfortunately, we've had alot of dissatisfied people on 30-day tourist visas here over the past 5 months and they have the loudest voices on social media, giving the impression that it's impossible to live here during the fall & winter months.

(FYI: the mold* is probably the biggest challenge if you aren't prepared or move into the wrong accommodations)

But now it seems that the monsoon winds have begun to ebb, and more sunshine & fair winds are becoming the norm.

So 6 months from March through August or April through September might be your best options, IF weather is your primary concern.

It would really be in your best interest for both of you if you would become legally married prior to moving here, unless you are able to gain legal employment as a qualified expert (the teaching you mentioned) and then apply for a longer business visa or a Temporary Resident Card.

That way both you and your girlfriend can have the 5-year Visa exemption certificate good for 6 month stays at one time.

Otherwise, if she remains in girlfriend status with you, and you don't have a legal job with a work permit, she will be eligible to stay 6 months at a time but you will be required to do Visa runs out of the country every 30 days to get a brand new 30-day Evisa.

Good luck with your plans.

(*68 to 72 degrees sounds fairly comfortable, but if you aren't running a dehumidifier, the black mold will overtake you. Removing the high humidity from the air will actually make it feel much colder.)

-@jculpepper22
Not sure why you want to respect the locals, sure as shit they wont respect you.

Its a very difficult language to speak, being tonal there are often only subtle differences which are hard to detect.
-@colinoscapee

I somewhat agree with Colin, in that wanting to show and receive respect in return will likely set you up for great expectations' disappointment.

If you are truly motivated to learn the language, apart from the need to show & receive respect, you'll almost certainly be more peaceful about & satisfied with the process.

One tip that may eventually help you with learning northern pronunciation: install the Tiếng Việt keyboard on your smart device and begin writing Vietnamese words with proper syllable separation and diacritic pronunciation marks.

The phone dictionary should begin remembering words after you type them, and in the future correct spellings will be auto suggested.

It's about training your brain to become familiar with Vietnamese tones, not for impressing anyone.

The more you use the formal diacritics in your everyday writing (Hà Nội instead of Hanoi, Cảm ơn for "thanks" instead of cam on, Đà Nẵng instead of Da Nang or Danang) the quicker you'll comprehend correct pronunciation in your reading, especially signs & menus.

Use the Google Translate app to build a good custom phrasebook AND dedicate at least one folder in your smartphone image gallery to pictures of common things you might want to locate, because try as you might, odds are that you (a foreigner) are not going to be understood by Vietnamese people (link).

Finally, many of us have been answering the same questions for other people for many years here in the forum.

Your questions are not especially unique, and you may find a lot more information if you are willing to scroll through topics in the forum or even try to use the search feature (very often hit and miss).

Good luck!

O.B.

Hội An/Đà Nẵng

I would be interested if any participants on this forum can lay claim to have developed fluency, both listening and speaking, in Vietnamese after the age of say 30--40.   I know there are some who claim fluency but can't understand why Vietnamese don't understand them.   To me this is a sign that they are not trully fluent.  The problem is that one needs near perfect hearing and nobody over 40 has that, whether they know it or not.

@jculpepper22

Vietnam is a beautiful country with rich cultural heritage and a rapidly growing economy. In recent years, it has become increasingly popular among expatriates from all walks of life. The locals are known for their friendliness and hospitality, so you can expect a warm welcome from the community. The cost of living in Vietnam is relatively low, especially when compared to Western countries, which is good news for those planning to live there.

There are a lot of great things about living in Vietnam, from delicious Vietnamese cuisine to the stunning natural landscapes. If you love good food, you won't be disappointed as Vietnam offers a wide range of delicious dishes. The country also has a rich and diverse history, with plenty of cultural sites to explore. Life in Vietnam is generally relaxed and stress-free, which is great for people looking for a peaceful environment in which to live.

As for teaching English, there is a high demand for native English speakers in Vietnam. Many international schools, language centers, and universities are looking for qualified teachers. If you have experience in teaching or a teaching certificate, it will be easier to find a job.

If you are planning to visit Da Nang in late March or early April, you will have the chance to experience the city during its most pleasant time of the year. With warm temperatures and low humidity, you can enjoy all that the city has to offer, from beautiful beaches to bustling markets.

In summary, Vietnam is a wonderful country to live in, and Da Nang is a great city to explore. With its rich cultural heritage, stunning natural landscapes, and delicious food, Vietnam has something for everyone. If you're considering a move, it's definitely worth a try.

Hieu,

Thank you so much for the detailed info and kind message. I appreciate it very much and hope to meet you upon arrival when we get there.

Talk to you soon.

James

@jculpepper22 Sure you got my contact.

Hieu,
Thank you so much for the detailed info and kind message. I appreciate it very much and hope to meet you upon arrival when we get there.
Talk to you soon.
James
-@jculpepper22

Ah, I misunderstood.

I thought you wanted genuine feedback from expats who live here.

If I'd known that you really desired a fluffy promotional piece from a rental agent (from whom your Vietnamese relatives will almost certainly steer you away) I'd have never cast my pearls in your direction.

At least now I know not to share insights that most expats have learned about dealing with (or not dealing with) rental agents looking for new expat clients in Vietnam.

Cheers!

@OceanBeach92107 Martin, thanks, as I had not seen this response previously. I am not moving there for the weather although if you lived in Tacoma, you know our winters here just suck. We are big boaters so our summers will be spent on the water from April/May until probably end of November.

We are moving more so for my retirement and I am sick of the crime and other issues here in the NW without getting into Politics too much. The cost of living and wonderful foods/drink/beaches and her family being there are primary. We would most likely be married by the time we make the move over. So that was good info to know on the Visa.

Much appreciated Martin.

James

there's a book, Colloquial Vietnamese by Nguyen Dinh Hoa, available online.  Google abebooks.com.  About  $20.  Ask for your girlfriend's help with the tones.  The author taught at Southern Illinois U.  there are also lessons online.  Google free vietnamese lessons.

@OceanBeach92107 thanks, as I had not seen this response previously. I am not moving there for the weather although if you lived in Tacoma, you know our winters here just suck. We are big boaters so our summers will be spent on the water from April/May until probably end of November.
We are moving more so for my retirement and I am sick of the crime and other issues here in the NW without getting into Politics too much. The cost of living and wonderful foods/drink/beaches and her family being there are primary. We would most likely be married by the time we make the move over. So that was good info to know on the Visa.
Much appreciated
James
-@jculpepper22

Probably worth noting that you and I and your future wife and my wife had a wonderful time together when you visited Hội An.

Looking forward to seeing you return as long-term residents.

Cheers!

We are big boaters so our summers will be spent on the water from April/May until probably end of November.
-@jculpepper22

There have been threads on this forum about the great difficulties in obtaining the required government permits to have an oceangoing boat in Vietnam.  It could be because Vietnam seems to be in a lukewarm war with China, mostly on the ocean, or it could be an anti-smuggling restriction.   Perhaps your by then wife will be able to overcome those problems by registering the boat in her name   Please let us know.

@OceanBeach92107

OB, yes we did have a great time over there and you're a wonderful host and tour guide i might add. Your wife is super sweet and kind and we enjoyed you both very much.

I will keep you posted on our timelines, next trip will probably be in the late fall/early winter I am guessing. Hope to retire at the end of 23, that would be great.

Stay in touch my friend, and have a great weekend.

James

@jculpepper22 Hello, we are from Bellingham - I am also thinking of spending half the year in Vietnam where my wife is from and half the year in the PNW.  It's hard to beat that area in the summer time!